"Free" drinks package - do we now have to pay 18% service charge?

wales4ever

Same for us. Our "free" drink packages cost $200 which they made us pay a full 3 months before sailing or have our trip cancelled.

They didn't "make" you do anything. You were given a choice and you took it. If you didn't want to pay it, you had the option to take another promo.

Personally, IF it is reasonable to charge this service charge on top of a complimentary package, then an automatic 18% when we haven't even had a chance to see how good the service is is totally unreasonable.

Do you feel the same way about every other 18% service charge that you will get hit with while onboard? If you buy a drink (no package), you will pay the 18% anyway.

I typically only tip 18% after exceptional service. In most cases I tip 15%. And if the service is really bad, nothing. We should have more control over this.

If you don't want to actually tip above the 18% service charge, you don't have to. As for control, you don't have control over the prices of drinks, either. If a rum and Pepsi is $5 with $6 in service charges or if it is $10 with $1 in service charges, what difference does it make? You have the option to tip above the $11 in either case.

As for charging a service charge at all on a free package, I don't agree with it but if it makes the free package possible then I can accept it. There's no way we could have afforded the package otherwise.

Ignore the service charge. Just pretend that NCL offered you an unlimited number of drinks ($15 or less) for $14.22 or $16.02 per day and gave you the option to take it or leave it.

But 18% without experiencing how good the service is is too much. 15%, with the option to pay additional tip money after you receive great service, makes more sense.
If NCL raised the price of the UBP (which you didn't pay) to $106.80 per day and changed the service charge to 15%, would that make you happy?

I thought about this after I posted. I do realize a handful of countries do not have a tipping policy. Sorry for my comment,but I do think everyone should expect to tip accordingly.

Yes - everyone should tip - for good service. Not be expected to tip 18% across the board regardless of service. The Europeans understand the concept of a tip as a reward for good service, not something you just automatically expect to pay. It would make a lot more sense for it to be discretionary like that, so I could tip 20% for excellent service, 15% for mediocre service, and nothing for very poor service. The point of tipping seems to be lost on NCL.

It would make a lot more sense for it to be discretionary like that, so I could tip 20% for excellent service, 15% for mediocre service, and nothing for very poor service. The point of tipping seems to be lost on NCL.
I don't believe this would work, because you would have those that just don't tip or those that say they won't tip because they live in a non-tipping culture and I believe that is why the cruise lines went to the automatic gratuities, DSC, etc. in the first place.

The UBP isn't truly an Ultimate Drinks Package either. Ultimate indicates it can't be beaten, and yet there are still drinks you pay a supplement for. What amused us was that we could have an Irish Coffee (with whiskey in it) but couldn't have it without - Americano/Cappuccino for instance.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

I suppose this statement is technically correct, but I have to say I’ve always found the drink I want within the package and booking in the U.K. tips/Gratuities are included in the Free Package so I always get off with a Zero Bar Bill . Before I’m jumped upon from a great height , I must add I always tip any regular waiter we have that looks after us , not per drink but periodically through the cruise. I think it’s a fantastic perk to have.

I am not sure - certainly didn't pay any with Celebrity or Costa ex Barcelona - only NCL

And never ever ex Miami or Fort Lauderdale -

NCL Sky - we did on Nov 15 directly after coming off Celebrity and didn't pay TAX then -

Just saying that NCL seem to be squeezing in the extras - I think other lines are sucking this tax up and paying it??

As I say - wont stop me cruising with them - just never experienced this before and I know many on board were kicking off about the taxes. It also seemed to put pressure on the staff who were the "messengers" :(

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't believe this would work, because you would have those that just don't tip or

those that say they won't tip because they live in a non-tipping culture and I believe

that is why the cruise lines went to the automatic gratuities, DSC, etc. in the first place.

I'll have to agree. It's like getting on to a bus. Some would think, "Why should I pay?"

Everyone else has already given. So, the pittance I give to sweeten the pot will not make much difference.:p:evilsmile:

Same for us. Our "free" drink packages cost $200 which they made us pay a full 3 months before sailing or have our trip cancelled. Personally, IF it is reasonable to charge this service charge on top of a complimentary package, then an automatic 18% when we haven't even had a chance to see how good the service is is totally unreasonable. I typically only tip 18% after exceptional service. In most cases I tip 15%. And if the service is really bad, nothing. We should have more control over this. As for charging a service charge at all on a free package, I don't agree with it but if it makes the free package possible then I can accept it. There's no way we could have afforded the package otherwise. But 18% without experiencing how good the service is is too much. 15%, with the option to pay additional tip money after you receive great service, makes more sense.

If you were to go to a restaurant with a coupon for a free meal, would you not leave a tip? Same concept here. Just because they give you the package for free shouldn’t mean that the service charge should be $0. As far as them “making” you pay the service charge 3 months in advance... well no one is making you pay... you have a choice of picking a different perk if you do not like/agree with 18%. And lastly, 18% has become the new norm. I understand you mention 15% and that used to be norm but not anymore. A typical good tip these days are actually around 20%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you were to go to a restaurant with a coupon for a free meal, would you not leave a tip? Same concept here. Just because they give you the package for free shouldn’t mean that the service charge should be $0. As far as them “making” you pay the service charge 3 months in advance... well no one is making you pay... you have a choice of picking a different perk if you do not like/agree with 18%. And lastly, 18% has become the new norm. I understand you mention 15% and that used to be norm but not anymore. A typical good tip these days are actually around 20%.

Whatever happened to $1 - $2 per drink tip. That still seems reasonable to me. I would never give a bartender a $4 tip for one drink on land.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Whatever happened to $1 - $2 per drink tip. That still seems reasonable to me. I would never give a bartender a $4 tip for one drink on land.

At 20% the drink would have to cost $20 for the tip on one to be $4. Where I live a mixed drink costs $6-$12 and a beer $3-$5, but yes, usually tip on a percentage of the bill rather than a set per drink. But it does come out to $1-$2 per drink usually.

At 20% the drink would have to cost $20 for the tip on one to be $4. Where I live a mixed drink costs $6-$12 and a beer $3-$5, but yes, usually tip on a percentage of the bill rather than a set per drink. But it does come out to $1-$2 per drink usually.

Just to give you an example, I didn’t order the UBP and when I went to order a chocolate martini the bill came to $21!! I about fell out of my chair. $17 for the drink (which on land would not be nearly that much) plus $4 tip. I would never normally tip that much. But since we are not big drinkers it was better than paying the $234 surcharge for the package. I added it up at the end and we only spent $125 to include autotips. We were on a 10 night cruise too. I think it comes down to how much you are actually going to drink, to include specialty coffees and soda.

As someone else mentioned $1-$2 tip per drink for a $5-$10 drink is certainly acceptable. But the more a drink costs the more the tip. Similar to how if you go to a restaurant and someone orders a $10 burger and someone else orders a $50 steak, Who do you think will be paying a larger tip? In the end it’s obviously up to you to decide what you are comfortable with tipping. However In this scenario the 18% service charge is already included (similar to how it is done at some restaurants). I guess we shouldn’t even discuss extra cash tips? This is where I will leave the $1-$2 per drink.

I suppose that the wording is misleading by saying that the UBP is free but the drinks really are free however the service is not. I will always pick the UBP as my free at sea choice because to me it is worth it. I splurge when I cruise and that includes eating and drinking more than I normally would. I have taken cruises before when I had to pay for all my drinks and it definitely amounted to more than I am paying with the UBP service charges. I love it when I find "my bar" on a cruise, meaning fun and attentive bar tenders and friendly bar mates. And it's great that I don't have to worry about the tab at the end of the cruise because all my drinks were free and service charges have been paid.

If you were to go to a restaurant with a coupon for a free meal, would you not leave a tip?

Yes, I always tip, even when I have been comped, unless I receive very poor service. The amount I tip depends on the service I received. Those who provide outstanding service deserve 18% and even more - but why should some slug who provides horrible customer service be entitled to the same tip?? When the tip is collected in advance of the service, there is no incentive to provide good service unless you are a conscientious worker who cares about doing a job. Those that don't not only get to provide poor service, but get rewarded for it! I'm sorry but I will NEVER be "ok" with giving someone who provided poor service an 18% tip. The whole purpose of the tip - to reward great customer services, is defeated with this policy.

Just to give you an example, I didn’t order the UBP and when I went to order a chocolate martini the bill came to $21!! I about fell out of my chair. $17 for the drink (which on land would not be nearly that much) plus $4 tip. I would never normally tip that much. But since we are not big drinkers it was better than paying the $234 surcharge for the package. I added it up at the end and we only spent $125 to include autotips. We were on a 10 night cruise too. I think it comes down to how much you are actually going to drink, to include specialty coffees and soda.

Fair enough. NCL’s drink prices are ridiculous. But think they are comparable to hotels on upscale land and yes, think that level of tip would be expected. In fact had a relative treating some friends to drinks at a nice hotel in London a few years ago and they also did a 18% surcharge on the bill.

On a NCL ship recently we also had to pay a 18% gratuity on classes at the gym - also something I wouldn’t do at home.

Yes, I always tip, even when I have been comped, unless I receive very poor service. The amount I tip depends on the service I received. Those who provide outstanding service deserve 18% and even more - but why should some slug who provides horrible customer service be entitled to the same tip?? When the tip is collected in advance of the service, there is no incentive to provide good service unless you are a conscientious worker who cares about doing a job. Those that don't not only get to provide poor service, but get rewarded for it! I'm sorry but I will NEVER be "ok" with giving someone who provided poor service an 18% tip. The whole purpose of the tip - to reward great customer services, is defeated with this policy.

AND LETS NOT FORGET - Norwegian added "insult to injury" (the nay-sayers not-withstanding) the 18% is on the value of the "free" drink package NO MATTER how much you drink - in my case $314+ for a 10 day cruise - AND - no way to cancel the thing once on board! Plus, when docked, they add the "local" sales tax on what you actually consume.

AND LETS NOT FORGET - Norwegian added "insult to injury" (the nay-sayers not-withstanding) the 18% is on the value of the "free" drink package NO MATTER how much you drink - in my case $314+ for a 10 day cruise - AND - no way to cancel the thing once on board! Plus, when docked, they add the "local" sales tax on what you actually consume.

If one is not responsible enough to read the terms and conditions, much less see the $314 required gratuities on an invoice, one is probably not responsible enough to drink unlimited amounts of alcohol.

My TA quoted me $299 for the cost of gratuities on the UBP for a 14 day cruise, but the actual price turned out to be $240. I was happy with that. Obviously we are all getting very different prices.

In general, I don't mind paying tips but only if service is good. I may leave a dollar when ordering drinks if I can remember to bring some dollar bills with me.

When the tip is collected in advance of the service, there is no incentive to provide good service unless you are a conscientious worker who cares about doing a job. Those that don't not only get to provide poor service, but get rewarded for it! I'm sorry but I will NEVER be "ok" with giving someone who provided poor service an 18% tip. The whole purpose of the tip - to reward great customer services, is defeated with this policy.

If you don't have the UBP and order a drink, you are still going to get charged the 18% service charge.

Nobody twisted your arm to select the UBP promo. If you didn't want to pay the 18% service charge (you may not drink enough for it to be worth $314), you had the option to not select that promo and not pay the $314 (drinks would be a la carte).

As for the tax, blame that state's government, not NCL.

As a first-timer, I was surprised to find out about the beverage surcharge for the UBP. We almost chose another perk, actually, as our beverage surcharge was $228.46CDN pp for our 12 day cruise (total of $456.92 for the two of us), which was a bit of a sticker shock. But when we spoke to the TA about it, she explained that really....that's less than the cost of two drinks per day. So if we are going to drink more than 2 drinks (and based on photos I've seen of the size of the cups, even I can manage that with my low tolerance!) then it's well worth it.

I can't imagine ever spending the money on the UBP for our cruise length, if it weren't free. It was like $1600CDN per person. I don't spend that much on alcohol in a year, at home! Or even two years! That's the price of another trip! :o

See line item below for beverage service charge.

I believe when I first started buying these packages they were around $50/day. Now $80/day but has been offered as a "free offer" on the past 3-4 cruises i've done. Paying less than $100 for a week of drinking, including tips. That is an EPIC value (no pun intended). That will be less than $1 per drink for my crew! This is the best value since the $3 keg cup in college!

A couple additional comments:

--The drinks are strong, and of high quality.

--If you can tip a couple times early in the cruise, it will be helpful for the remainder. For example if you are in a port where they must give you a receipt to sign, you can tip. Service can get kind of spotty at the bars. I tipped the pool servers the first couple days and received OUTSTANDING service the remainder of the trip. (Specifically I gave $10 on first day, $5 a day thereafter, always on the first drink of the day). My cup was never empty. My champagne servings were a full 16oz cup vs the 4 oz flute.

f1c4e9bd580128c7626606f80f7b333b.jpg

Edited by BeeeJay

If you don't have the UBP and order a drink, you are still going to get charged the 18% service charge.

Nobody twisted your arm to select the UBP promo. If you didn't want to pay the 18% service charge (you may not drink enough for it to be worth $314), you had the option to not select that promo and not pay the $314 (drinks would be a la carte).

As for the tax, blame that state's government, not NCL.

It is that simple Amazing we got 8 pages so far out of this topic.

If you've booked through EU, U.K., or AU then you don't need to pay the 18%, if you've booked through the US or Canada then Yes there is an 18% gratuity added.

I paid my gratuity charges in the UBP at the time of booking. You will not be charged during cruise.

Limited to 15 drinks? So I must pay for #16? They be misusing the word free.:D

Carnival does limit to 15- and if I recall, the only way to get #16, is to pay cash for #14... basically last call is the 15th free drink and you aren't allowed to buy more but you can buy drinks before you hit 15 free ones (if someone knows differently please correct me, but that's how it was last Feb).

And yes, we were charged a gratuity on the package on Carnival. It was $54.95 per day PLUS gratuity. I'm not a big drinker, my husband can put plenty away and we still felt like it wasn't a great deal and wouldn't do it again.

My question is, on the Sky, where the drinks are included but not as a "package", does NCL still charge a gratuity or does the larger DSC cover that?