bidding for upgrade

goattyer65

Simple search on Google found this from from NCL's website:

Upgrade Advantage Program Terms and Conditions

1. The following terms and conditions ("Terms and Conditions") apply to all offers (each an “Offer” or a “Bid”) made by you (“Guest”, “you”, “passenger”) to NCL Corporation Ltd. (“Norwegian Cruise Line”, “we”, “us”) for an opportunity to upgrade from the class of service that was originally purchased for travel with Norwegian Cruise Line to a higher class of service (“Upgrade”). This Upgrade program gives you a chance to place an Offer on an opportunity to upgrade from the class of service already purchased. Your Offer is not final and binding unless and until Norwegian Cruise Line officially accepts it.

2. You must be at least twenty one (21) years of age and able to enter into binding contracts. You shall be deemed to have the authority to act on behalf of and to bind the person or persons named or included on the Offer to these Terms and Conditions. Upgrade Offers are only valid for cabins that have already been purchased, either by you or someone on whose behalf you are bidding for the Upgrade.

3. First, as a prerequisite to the ability to make an Offer, you must receive an invitation (“Invitation”) from Norwegian Cruise Line. Sending an Invitation to anyone and at any time is entirely within Norwegian Cruise Line’s sole discretion.

4. Upon receipt of an Invitation, you may submit a Bid on up to two categories higher than your current class of service category for the original itinerary booked.

5. Norwegian Cruise Line may accept your Bid any time before the sail date. In the event Norwegian Cruise Line accepts your Offer, your credit card will be charged the full amount immediately upon acceptance. The total amount that you must pay to us will be disclosed to you prior to your submission of your Offer.

6. Once your Bid is accepted, the upgrade amount paid is final and non-refundable.

7. If you make a change to your itinerary after your Bid has been accepted, your Bid will be cancelled, will not be transferred to your new itinerary and the upgrade amount paid is non-refundable.

8. If your reservation includes multiple passengers (between 2 and 9 passengers), the purchase price you accept will be per passenger but only for the first and second passenger on the reservation.

9. If your reservation includes only one person, the guest will be charged based on double occupancy.

10. Norwegian Cruise Line reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to decide whether or not to accept your Offer, and it makes no representation that any Guest will be upgraded regardless of whether or not cabins are available in the category for which an Offer is being made.

11. If you purchase an Upgrade, the conditions of your original cruise reservation will remain in effect following the Upgrade. This includes conditions pertaining to cancellation, penalties, and changes.

12. If you have purchased Norwegian Cruise Line’s Travel Protection on your current booking, you will be automatically charged to cover the Upgrade cost. For more information please visit https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/booksafe#pricing

13. The Upgrade does not include any additional promotions. If you purchase an Upgrade, Norwegian Cruise Line cannot guarantee a specific cabin number assignment within the upgraded category. Your cabin number will depend on space availability. You may revise or cancel your Offer through the hyperlink on the offer email before 48 hours of your departure, provided that your Offer has not already been accepted by Norwegian Cruise Line and provided your credit card has not been charged. However, if your Offer is accepted before you cancel or amend your Offer, you are legally bound to complete payment for the price stated in your original Offer.

14. If you are currently in a ‘Spa’ cabin and submit an Offer to upgrade to a higher category, we cannot guarantee that you will be assigned to another ‘Spa’ cabin within the upgraded category. If your Offer is accepted and you do not get assigned to another ‘Spa’ cabin, you will be forfeiting the complimentary access to the Spa.

15. If your Bid is not accepted, you will travel in the category you originally purchased. The charge on your credit card may appear in the name of “NCL Reservations USD” / “NCL Reservations XX (currency)” / “Norwegian Cruise Line”. You agree that you cannot challenge or dispute a charge because the name appearing on the credit card statement is “NCL Reservations USD” / “NCL Reservations XX (currency)” / “Norwegian Cruise Line”.

16. By purchasing this Upgrade, the passenger accepts all terms and conditions of the Upgrade Program.

17. Norwegian Cruise Line reserves the right to modify and otherwise change these Terms and Conditions at its own discretion. Except as provided for in the immediately preceding sentence, no amendment, modification or waiver to these Terms and Conditions shall be binding on Norwegian Cruise Line unless made in writing and signed by an authorized officer of Norwegian Cruise Line.

sent using Forums mobile app

Clicking through the email brings you to the upgrade page which displays the various cabins available.

Once you decide on the category you'd like, simply decide how much you'd spend per person for that cabin and enter the amount (note that if you're sailing solo you'll be charged double your bid).

Put in your credit card details. Your card will be charged only if you are awarded the upgrade (a few days before your sailing).

You'll get an email confirmation (which also allows you to cancel or modify your bid).

Very simple process.

Tracy

Edited by TracyE

Clicking through the email brings you to the upgrade page which displays the various cabins available.

Once you decide on the category you'd like, simply decide how much you'd spend per person for that cabin and enter the amount (note that if you're sailing solo you'll be charged double your bid).

Put in your credit card details. Your card will be charged only if you are awarded the upgrade (a few days before your sailing).

You'll get an email confirmation (which also allows you to cancel or modify your bid).

Very simple process.

Tracy

Please see #5, #6 and #7 of my post concerning T&Cs......

You get email confirmation ANYTIME before the cruise, not just a couple days before, when your bid is accepted...... the email you receive is a confirmation of the upgrade NOT an opportunity to cancel or modify your bid.....100% non refundable once it's accepted.

Edited by esm54687

I re read what Tracy wrote and they may mean you will get a confirmation email verifying your bid and at that point you can modify or cancel prior to confirming it.....

The sentence placement in the post made it read that you had an opportunity to change things after the bid was accepted.

Wanted to make sure you were aware it is non refundable once accepted by NCL.

Edited by esm54687

My experience was different. I got an upsell email some time ago for our December 3 Escape cruise. We were in an inside and had the opportunity to bid on OV and balcony. It was in the form of a sliding scale which you moved across an axis rather than filling in a form. I bid on the balcony, about half of what was the max and immediately got a confirmation email. Family members traveling with us also bid but did not see that it was a sliding scale. We both paid the same but they got the OV. Either way it was a pretty good deal. First time we'd ever been able to do this.

I've ready many posts where their bids weren't accepted until about a week prior to their cruise date. Just be aware that NCL may wait for awhile in the hopes they can sell those cabins full price.

From reading several others experience, I'm of the opinion that you should just put in a close to minimum bid and then wait. If it looks like the category you are interested in is getting close to sold out you could bid higher, but otherwise patience is the best way to go. NCL usually doesn't move on these bids until closer to the cruise....unless you gave them a really higher than necessary bid:eek:

Quick question. Per NCL, on line 4 it states that you can only bid on an upgrade 2 categories higher than the current class booked.

In theory that would eliminate someone in an oceanview cabin from bidding on a Haven category.

Can someone who has completed the bidding process clarify if Norwegian sticks to this. Thanks

Quick question. Per NCL, on line 4 it states that you can only bid on an upgrade 2 categories higher than the current class booked.

In theory that would eliminate someone in an oceanview cabin from bidding on a Haven category.

Can someone who has completed the bidding process clarify if Norwegian sticks to this. Thanks

Yes, they are sticking to it for now. My original booking was for an OV gty and I was only allowed to bid on Balconies and Mini-Suites.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

Wondering when to start looking for the email, shortly after final payment is due? Also, does anyone know if you booked thru the the big warehouse company that starts with a C if those people are getting the email and a chance to bid? TIA.

Yes, they are sticking to it for now. My original booking was for an OV gty and I was only allowed to bid on Balconies and Mini-Suites.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

Did your offer just allow for one bid for Balcony and one for Mini?

I had a balcony and was offered chance to bid on Mini-suite and Haven. For Mini, there was no separation of types (like Family, or large balcony or spa). For Haven I could make separate bids on each type of Haven suite.

I think they should let you bid for specific types of these categories. I would bid higher for a better chance at a specific type of Mini-suite. Otherwise my hand-picked current cabin with the angled larger balcony is where I will stay.

Edited by Sand and Seas
correction

Are all ships using the "bidding" process now?

It's being reported now for the Escape and Getaway. (My email was for the Escape and was received 80 days prior to sailing date.)

Some have said they have been told it will move to all ships in the next few months. Perhaps this is just a trial period, or perhaps it is already decided and all will transition as some say they have heard.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone answer this for me? We are booked on the Getaway and have received the upgrade email. We have two rooms booked for our family of 5. I would like to bid on the haven family suite where we could all be together. If my bid was accepted, can I then move everyone into that room? Thus going from two rooms (two reservations) to one. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can anyone answer this for me? We are booked on the Getaway and have received the upgrade email. We have two rooms booked for our family of 5. I would like to bid on the haven family suite where we could all be together. If my bid was accepted, can I then move everyone into that room? Thus going from two rooms (two reservations) to one. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They don't think they will allow that......I did it last fall on EPIC but I only got away with it because it was a mistake on their end. When I was told yes before I upgraded I had the woman mark it on my file that she told me it was OK - my gut told me otherwise and why I made them mark the file before I did it. After I upgraded (under non bid) I was told no, my SIL from studio could not move to the haven room. I got every excuse in the book. I spent multiple days on the phone fighting that and the only reason they gave in was because of that comment on my file.

I haven't received an email to bid up, however our only option would be to bid on a haven. (We have 5). I'm leaving in 2 weeks. What are the chances we would get this email?

We have a stateroom assignment too, so is that why? This is also our first NCL cruise, do they only offer these to latitude members?

Edited by Mandylouwho

IN your case Mandylouwho, the most important thing is finding a cabin large enough to hold your family of 5. There appears to be only one type of cabin that fits that bill and it's a 2BR with a tag price of over 5000/pp.

There's still hope for you, there seem to be quite a few available.

PS. It has nothing to do with the number of cruises you've done, you're still in the running.

Good luck,

IN your case Mandylouwho, the most important thing is finding a cabin large enough to hold your family of 5. There appears to be only one type of cabin that fits that bill and it's a 2BR with a tag price of over 5000/pp.

There's still hope for you, there seem to be quite a few available.

PS. It has nothing to do with the number of cruises you've done, you're still in the running.

Good luck,

That's what I figured. We are in the ocean view family, which is fine, but I wasn't sure there was a possibility.

• 2 months later...
Wondering when to start looking for the email, shortly after final payment is due? Also, does anyone know if you booked thru the the big warehouse company that starts with a C if those people are getting the email and a chance to bid? TIA.

Costco Travel "opted out" of the Upgrade Advantage, we confirmed this with NCL. This means you will not get any emails for this. The only way you can upgrade is to call into Costco and have them call into NCL and ask about and upgrade. The good thing is that you get ALL of the current promotions when you do an upgrade which you don't get if you do the Upgrade Advantage. I am not sure if the bidding price would be any cheaper as you would have to put a value on the "perks" that you get if you do an upgrade vs the lack of those perks when you do Upgrade Advantage. With Upgrade advantage you keep the promotions you originally had so you really do need to do some research and calculations. That was our experience anyway. We did the upgrade a week ago for a cruise leaving at the end of April.

Costco Travel "opted out" of the Upgrade Advantage, we confirmed this with NCL. This means you will not get any emails for this. The only way you can upgrade is to call into Costco and have them call into NCL and ask about and upgrade. The good thing is that you get ALL of the current promotions when you do an upgrade which you don't get if you do the Upgrade Advantage. I am not sure if the bidding price would be any cheaper as you would have to put a value on the "perks" that you get if you do an upgrade vs the lack of those perks when you do Upgrade Advantage. With Upgrade advantage you keep the promotions you originally had so you really do need to do some research and calculations. That was our experience anyway. We did the upgrade a week ago for a cruise leaving at the end of April.

The Upgrade Advantage is just a way for NCL to have their customers do the work of "bidding" to get an upgrade. Before you would call in they would give you a price and you would accept it or not. Today they pit us all against each other and take the highest bid for the room. The customers do all the work and decide how much each of us think the upgrade is worth and NCL sits back and picks the highest bidder.

In our case we called NCL prior to booking our cruise and asked if Costco Travel was part of the "Upgrade Advantage" program. We were told yes. We booked with Costco and as time went on and we did not get the emails I called back into NCL and found out that really Costco had "opted" out of the "Upgrade Advantage". It makes no sense to my why they would as Costco still gets a portion of the upgrade pricing but who am I to try to understand Costco. At the end of the day we were not eligible to participate in the bidding we we just called into Costco, go them to call NCL and got an upgrade price to move from a Mini Suite to a Spa Balcony (the lowest category in the Haven, which we were fine with). We got all the benefits of the Haven upgrade and got to pick our room and know that it was a done deal.

I kind of preferred this wondering if we were going to get the email, wondering if our bid would be high enough, then waiting to see if we won. Seems more like a big game of chance that we were not going to play.

We always book the lowest class cabin we would feel comfortable staying in, then watch for the upgrades ourselves. It seems those days are going bye bye as the bidding process becomes mainstay. I am sure before long all of their cruise partners will be opted in to this new process and it won't matter.

Good on NCL to find a new way to do less work and have customers bid against each other to get the most they can for every room on the ship.

It is what it is and like everything we will all complain then just get used to it.

My 2 cents.

The Upgrade Advantage is just a way for NCL to have their customers do the work of "bidding" to get an upgrade. Before you would call in they would give you a price and you would accept it or not. Today they pit us all against each other and take the highest bid for the room. The customers do all the work and decide how much each of us think the upgrade is worth and NCL sits back and picks the highest bidder.

In our case we called NCL prior to booking our cruise and asked if Costco Travel was part of the "Upgrade Advantage" program. We were told yes. We booked with Costco and as time went on and we did not get the emails I called back into NCL and found out that really Costco had "opted" out of the "Upgrade Advantage". It makes no sense to my why they would as Costco still gets a portion of the upgrade pricing but who am I to try to understand Costco. At the end of the day we were not eligible to participate in the bidding we we just called into Costco, go them to call NCL and got an upgrade price to move from a Mini Suite to a Spa Balcony (the lowest category in the Haven, which we were fine with). We got all the benefits of the Haven upgrade and got to pick our room and know that it was a done deal.

I kind of preferred this wondering if we were going to get the email, wondering if our bid would be high enough, then waiting to see if we won. Seems more like a big game of chance that we were not going to play.

We always book the lowest class cabin we would feel comfortable staying in, then watch for the upgrades ourselves. It seems those days are going bye bye as the bidding process becomes mainstay. I am sure before long all of their cruise partners will be opted in to this new process and it won't matter.

Good on NCL to find a new way to do less work and have customers bid against each other to get the most they can for every room on the ship.

It is what it is and like everything we will all complain then just get used to it.

My 2 cents.

Was it a huge upgrade to go from the Mini to the Haven Spa Suite with Balcony?