post office seems to have lost our passports

compozer

UPDATE

Just came in the house and as usual, when I don't take my cell with me, I get a call. It was the Philly post office saying they changed the status to delivered. At 11:30 am on 11/28 withe a Big "On Time" at the top. Strange, because it arrived there at 8:42 am. Could it really have been delivered less than 3 hours later? The post office zip code is different than the delivered. No scan leaving the post office. Ok, I need to stop questioning this!!!! I am going to be positive and say yes, it rdally did arrive.

I will keep watching for the checks to clear.

Thanks again for all the help.

Nice to know of this development.

UPDATE

I the mail today were two large envelopes from passport processing. I thought, wow, that was fas5.

But

It was our old passports and application with a letter saying our photo was not acceptable. Looks like the background is not light enough.

Will redo pics and get them back in the mail. At least they are not lost.

UPDATE

I the mail today were two large envelopes from passport processing. I thought, wow, that was fas5.

But

It was our old passports and application with a letter saying our photo was not acceptable. Looks like the background is not light enough.

Check your timetable- you may need to apply for Expedited Processing, or even the "emergency" route!

Sandy:

Where did you get your photos done that neither were acceptable? Most places know it has to be a white background! I'm surprised at that one.

Good luck! We did ours at the end of May after we got back from Maui. It was pretty quick. What is funny is where your passports will come from. Mine was out of Arkansas and Steve's out of Arizona. Here they were sent at the same time and coming back to the same address. His got here two days before mine, go figure!

Good luck.

UPDATE

But

Depending on date of cruise you need to either expedite your renewal, or make an appointment at a passport agency. Standard service is too risky at this point.

Sounds like issue has been resolved.

This did happen to me probably 20 years ago. We applied in person for our passport. At that time, when you called, you had to pay for the call which was expensive. They kept saying, call again.

We finally went back down to Passport office at Post Office. They were most helpful. We had to go and redo our pictures, get our birth certificates again and whatever the passport agency did was amazing - we got our passports in 3 days and he personally delivered them to our house (we were leaving soon). They were temporary passports and only good for a year and then we had to re-submit them again to get them extended. They acknowledged it was their mistake.

I was very pleased with outcome but I had to pay next day deliver 4x and incurred extra expenses in photos and birth certificates. I wrote someone in government indicating such and eight moths later, I received a check for reimbursement. By then I had forgotten about the whole situation.

So if it does get lost, they did take care of it for us. Thankfully in our situation the passport office handled everything (pictures, fedex, etc..) so they remembered us going up there. They were able to track that it was mailed but could not track anything else.

UPDATE

But

I also had that happen when I last renewed. They had to be able to see the color of my eyes through my glasses.

I also had that happen when I last renewed. They had to be able to see the color of my eyes through my glasses.

I'm sure most people are aware of the new picture requirements, but JIC, one is no longer allowed to wear your glasses in passport pictures; probably just for this reason. So if you wear glasses, do be aware of this new rule when you renew.

UPDATE

But

Did I read somewhere in this thread that you are leaving in December. Is that December of 2016. If I were you, I would be in panic mode now.

DON

I am not worried at all. There is always plan B. Our Christmas vacation starts but we don't need the passports for the first part. Thanks for your concern about getting them in time.

What my original post asked was:

if anyone has had this happen to them - the lost application

I just wanted to hear about others who experienced this and what the outcome was.

We are very seasoned travelers but did learn a few new things.

Coral, thanks for telling me about your experience - I figure they would help people out.

Thanks again for taking the time to post.

I'm sure most people are aware of the new picture requirements, but JIC, one is no longer allowed to wear your glasses in passport pictures; probably just for this reason. So if you wear glasses, do be aware of this new rule when you renew.

Good catch.

This page says 'no glasses'.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/photos/photos.html

I have a case number. That doesn't help us for a Christmas vacation.

Okay, we were going by the above statement, hence our worries on timing on your behalf. We didn't know about the particulars you have just mentioned about not needing passports for the first part of your vacay, etc...

Just because many people have had quick turns lately, doesn't mean it's always that way. I have helped a lot of relatives apply (I'm always the go-to guy *sigh*) and it's alarmingly inconsistent, especially depending on where they eventually apply- post office, city hall, passport office, etc. They all seem to mail to different service centers. Add to this seasonal variations, and rumors about slow turns currently at certain service centers (It's around the tenth anniversary of zillions of passport holders, from the start of when the gov't started requiring passports for most trips), and it didn't seem like a trivial thing.

Glad to hear things are working out, because that's the bottom line! Have a great one!