Chaos on Constellation!!

jonsmum

We have just done the Singapore to Abu Dhabi sailing and I must say, that from reading this thread, they do seem to have sorted things out so that everything went very smoothly. We had to sign immigration forms for 3 of the Indian ports when we checked in at Singapore and immigration officials were on board during the sea day prior to our arrival at the first Indian port and a face to face (very, very quick) was held in the Rendevous lounge. At the ports there were no delays. Celebrity retained our passports at check in in Singapore and so these forms were used when we got off the ship at these ports.

Oman was handled in a similar manner. We collected our passports the night before we were due into Dubai (last but one stop), which also went very smoothly - no queues 😀. To avoid delays in Dubai, at immigration you showed your passport to the official and the passport was then retained at the desk whilst you then carried on through to do what ever you had planned. The passports were then handed back to Celebrity and we collected them again in the same manner as previously.

I would say that overall, upon arrival at any of the ports and the notice given that we were all clear to get off the ship, there was no more delay than we have found on any other cruise, which I think is the important comparison. Judging by what had previously been posted here, it seems that Celebrity has worked with the various immigration authorities (5 in all) to ensure minimal delays to it's passengers 👍.

I must ask when we join Connie next month why they didn't embark Customs and Immigration personnel at the earlier port to avoid the "confusion" that ensued. They do it with other countries, perhaps the local officials didn't want to participate

It always amazes me on how many people think that all travel is safe, secure, and without issues. Bad stuff just happens, and there is little that can be done to predict what , where or when it will happen.

It always amazes me on how many people think that all travel is safe, secure, and without issues. Bad stuff just happens, and there is little that can be done to predict what , where or when it will happen.
Absolutely, if a person just wants uncomplicated 'fun', just go to a reliable holiday resort area and stay in a good hotel. Real travelling often involves ups and downs! It's all part of the rich tapestry!

I've just returned from Dubai and was treated with utmost respect from everyone. It's my third visit and will return. Our disembark in Dubai was the best I've ever had. Not on Celebrity ship but Cunard. I have no interest in a Caribbean cruise though.

UAE immigration is and always has been chaotic. Having lived in Dubai for 5 years, I have seen laws change due to deaths, protests and even revenge for another country's actions.

While a great place to live and visit, there are many factors that can affect the daily lives of guests.

People have to understand that it is a privilege, not a right to visit another country. That includes cruise ships. Just because you have a ticket for a cruise it does not guarantee that the country will even allow a ship to enter their waters.

A government has the right to do what they want.

And to simply blame the crew of a ship for all of the changes is not correct.

The ship, along with more than 3000 guests and crew arrived earlier than scheduled. That is a problem any time and in any country.

And to then derail the post with personal opinions on partial information about matters of the courts which have nothing to do with the scheduling of a cruise ship arrival is not meaningful.

And for someone else to issue a blanket statement that they would never travel to that part of the world is also pointless.

I would respond by saying.... why? Because of stories that you heard that were hearsay?

People travel for many reasons. To explore and experience new places and cultures, to be a part of an event and even to escape from the daily life that they have.

Embrace your travels and enjoy the rest of your life. See new things. Relax and take it all in.

And when the unexpected occurs, think about the fun part of the trip.

Just my 2 dirhams of thought.

Recently back from a cruise on Vision of the Seas round trip from Dubai which included Abu Dhabi and Muscat. Loved Oman and Abu Dhabi, no issues with customs just gave in my passport and got it back later that night.

Not a lover of Dubai - all flash, trash and cash IMO but would go back to Muscat in a heartbeat, hoping to do a cruise that way again but including India.

Travelled on Constellation in April, Singapore to Abu Dhabi but we disembarked in the penultimate port Dubai. Fabulous cruise with so many different cultures and experiences. Yes immigration was a little more challenging than in other parts of the world particularly when we disembarked a day early in Dubai but it was worth every minute! Celebrity get very short notice of immigration changes as they did when we docked in Mumbai but they handled it well.