Star azipod propulsion problem

Circusboy354

We have lost a lot of sea miles, gained an extra day in our embarkation port and Phu My and also lost our 3 port days in Thailand.

Would anyone have booked this cruise with that itinerary? [emoji15]

My point exactly i booked the cruise on the original itinerary had i have seen the new itinerary i can categorically state i would not have booked this cruise !!! Why would you book a cruise which doesn't go where you want ??

For the few that say they don't mind the itinerary change then why did you book the Star in the first place if it wasn't for the original itinerary ?????

Edited by Aburn09

My point exactly i booked the cruise on the original itinerary had i have seen the new itinerary i can categorically state i would not have booked this cruise !!! Why would you book a cruise which doesn't go where you want ??

For the few that say they don't mind the itinerary change then how did you get onboard the Star in the first place if it wasn't for the original itinerary ?????

Personally I love cruising. Asia isn't my favourite land destination as I can't eat the food and always get sick. After my last visit when I ended up with a massive ear infection after snorkeling in the dirtiest water I've ever snorkeled in I vowed I wouldn't go back unless it was on a cruise ship, so I could sight see, but go back to the hygiene of the ship each night. What I see on this cruise is what I see. When I book a cruise, (I've been on 35+ since my first cruise in Sep 2007), not all the ports are or will be my dream destinations, but as long as I like some of them. Sometimes ports I least expect are surprisingly great and on the flip side, some don't live up to their hype. Personally, Vietnam interests me more than Bangkok. Life is too short to stress the small stuff - Just my personal life philosophy. Doesn't mean there won't be things I'm not happy about on the cruise. (I wasn't happy when the bossy spiky haired girl on the Jade on our TA April this year told us we couldn't take our chicken wings to a different venue- sorry different story). We're all different and I guess we cruise for different reasons. I only booked this early December after my last cruise in November from San Diego- Santiago. Loved that cruise, great, fun people, great ports and I do love Mexican, Central American food! So I haven't had a year of planning to get excited about. Just getting excited about my cruise now!

To be perfectly honest the Star is one of my least favourite NCL ships, but I can't complain about it as I knew this when I booked. I intended doing this itinerary on the Jewel next year, (love the Jewel class ships), but got impatient.

I know we all have different likes and opinions and so will react differently. Many people on the roll call have accepted the changes and are moving forward positively, others are feeling angry. Personally if I was feeling angry about it all, I would cancel, as why cruise if you don't think you're going to have a good time and we do have that option?

For the reasons why I booked this cruise I would be disappointed if our cruise was shortened and had to go to dry dock, but it sounds like this problem does not need a dry dock - so I'm happy to limp around from port to port while they wait for the part needed to fix it. After all a modified itinerary is better than no cruise. JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm still waiting for NCL to advise the exact OBC that will be applied to try and work out what we receive, as it will be somewhat less than 20% of what we paid.

I'm treating mine as a bonus and I will probably just use it to put towards future Cruise Next Certificates, gratuities or Excursions, just slightly reducing my bill.;) Mine won't be great as I only booked an inside, second category up, so I didn't outlay much to start with. I can roughly work out what it will be!

We are thinking of cancelling BUT NCL wants us to cancel the holiday with our travel agent then send them the canceled holiday form and they will then 'consider' what they will and won't refund !!!! So they might refund the lot including flights and hotel and transfer costs or they might just only refund the cruise itself ??? This is the gamble NCL has left me in !! Until i cancel they won't say exactly what they will refund so i could be without a holiday and seriously out of pocket !!! Not good passenger satisfaction I'm sure you'll agree ??

NCL Star have had Azipod problems since 2003 as I've now found out through research and each year or so they fail........Why doesn't NCL take the Star out and fix it once and for all through a redesigned azipod......At least this way they wouldn't keep disappointing their passengers like they are now........And as for a 20% discount now is just an insult.....Should be at least 50% maybe with onboard spend or free wifi or upgraded cabins or free tours......Theres so much NCL 'could' do to make the affected trips more enjoyable but just 20% come on !!!!

Edited by Aburn09

I will defer to you on the specifics. All four clutches on the port azipod were burned out and the unit had to be shut down. During the repair, they had to replace all of the clutchs on both port and starboard units. I jumped to a conclusion that you would not do that kind of maint on the starboard units on a new ship, under the supervision of the US and Bahamas coast guard, if there wasn't some damage

The clutches are wear items. They have a life span. So, when the clutches on the one pod were renewed, it was prudence and good engineering to renew the others at the same time. And the port pod did not "have to be" shut down, it was still functional, it was shut down to prevent further damage. The clutches are really a safety feature to prevent damage to the pods, in situations where the pod is azimuthed in such a way that the pod or propeller is against something (ground, dock) so the clutch slips and keeps the hydraulic azimuthing system from forcing the prop into damage.

Ah,,,, yeah

Being from Florida, you probably knew that there were two hurricanes blocking your way and that there was a 100% probability that your itinerary was going to change. Going north right into the Remains of hurricane Mathew didnt make any sense. And going south you had to avoid the second hurricane over bumerda.

NCL is not like Royal who sails thier ships into the middle of storms. Resulting in the cancellation of their cruise, stomach turning weather for their passengers, damage to their newest ships, and one burned out azipod and one damaged azipod putting their passengers at risk.

Cheerleader: Royal offered a full refund for the storm ... the point being, NCL has a business practice of packing the ship and then changing the itinerary rather than being up front and offering a refund for a radically different cruise ... just like the folks being screwed on their Star cruise.

I am a great believer that in life communication is the best form of a resolution: That said,then perhaps my suggestion could be considered by the elusive hierarchy at NCL: On one of our days at sea on our 5th January cruise perhaps a senior official of NCL do host a meeting whereby all guests are invited to attend to air their views regarding the complete revision to our cruise itinerary...That way "everyone" gets chance to have their say.

Oh course we all know that my suggestion would never materialise for fear of the sequel to the film "Mutinity on the Bounty" occuring upon the Star!!

I ask NCL whilst we as passengers are being offered a paltry 20% recompense for all the distress they have caused...what compensation do the poor Thai and Vietnamese people get for lack of revenue for lost excursions and tourism?!

.what compensation do the poor Thai and Vietnamese people get for lack of revenue for lost excursions and tourism?!

The Vietnamese were cultivating rice some 3,000 years ago and there is evidence of human habitation in Thailand 40,000 years ago.

I'm not an expert, but I think they'll manage to get by missing a few cheap tourists on a cruise ship. :rolleyes:

I am a great believer that in life communication is the best form of a resolution: That said,then perhaps my suggestion could be considered by the elusive hierarchy at NCL: On one of our days at sea on our 5th January cruise perhaps a senior official of NCL do host a meeting whereby all guests are invited to attend to air their views regarding the complete revision to our cruise itinerary...That way "everyone" gets chance to have their say.

Oh course we all know that my suggestion would never materialise for fear of the sequel to the film "Mutinity on the Bounty" occuring upon the Star!!

I ask NCL whilst we as passengers are being offered a paltry 20% recompense for all the distress they have caused...what compensation do the poor Thai and Vietnamese people get for lack of revenue for lost excursions and tourism?!

I think that the Philippines is focused on Nock-ten recovery not cruise ship recovery at the moment.

The cruise line is being more than generous with compensation. In accordance with the contract you signed, they do not owe you any compensation.

Although i do agree with the first part of your comment that maybe NCL should listen more to the passengers and a 20% refund is alot less than they should offer as by their own statement they have significantly changed the original itinerary.......I do feel that the Thai people and the one Vietnam port we do miss in the revised itinerary don't rely on just the cruise passengers to make a living they have survived for many thousand years without us........But we are diversifying NCL should offer more than the 20% discount off the cruise only deal so far.......like i said they could offer free wifi or cabin upgrades where possible reduced shore excursions on board spend and a better discount off the cruise and a discount off future cruises but unfortunately customer services are tied to 20% whether you like it or not the only people you can contact who 'could' up the offer are here http://elliott.org/company-contacts/norwegian-cruise-line-ncl/

The two executive contacts about half way down the page and it will take people power to get the change so rather than let steam off on here or NCL customer services write an email like i have and hopefully may others and perhaps if they get enough complaints we could all get a more acceptable offer ?

:) Go To your Cruise Critic Meet & Greet :)

Most of the top brass will and do attend weekly.

Edited by biker@sea

Please don't encourage that! After all don't shoot the messengers, they just work for the company! I'm on that cruise, always attend the M&G and can think of nothing worse than irate people attending who only want to air their grievances. I'm hoping our meeting will be the typical pleasant get together I'm used to experiencing.

On another topic I have just had a new itinerary emailed out by NCL for the January 5th cruise. We are leaving Singapore at 6pm, on time Day 1. Nha Trang is back, but we arrive in Ho Chi Min later -3pm. My guess is the overnight in Singapore was scheduled incase the part needed was ready, overnight in Ho Chi Min to work on the Azipod. I'm thinking it's not ready so there's no reason to stay overnight in Singapore. (Just guessing as I'm not an engineer and I love Cheng and co's technical explanations). Either way-I'm looking forward to my mystery cruise. It could be interesting and hopefully there will still be plenty of fun, happy people onboard. After all I don't travel to escape life I travel so that life doesn't escape me! I'm still on a cruise where apart from Hong Kong and the Singapore Airport(Changi) I haven't seen before!:)

Please don't encourage that! After all don't shoot the messengers, they just work for the company! I'm on that cruise, always attend the M&G and can think of nothing worse than irate people attending who only want to air their grievances. I'm hoping our meeting will be the typical pleasant get together I'm used to experiencing.

I agree totally with 'karoo', please do not turn a M&G into a political forum. Those there are only employees and have nothing to do with what you are working on. You need to put pressure on Miami. If you want to discuss the matter with the senior staff arrange a meeting at their and your convenience.

One of the main things not considered by those (a) not on board and (b) referring to our signed contract: usually changes and compensation occurs after the cruise commences.... In this case, we have had two extensive itinerary revisions weeks before sailing -- completely different situation:mad: :mad:

I think that the Philippines is focused on Nock-ten recovery not cruise ship recovery at the moment.

The cruise line is being more than generous with compensation. In accordance with the contract you signed, they do not owe you any compensation.

Are you on the 5 January sailing ?? If not: Walk in our shoes ....

It has been posted on the 5th January roll call.

I can't find any change in the itinerary yet from the last one with two nights in Singapore on the 5th Jan ? I looked on my NCL booking itineray and no change there either ?

What is the new itinerary now if it has changed again ??

Can anyone confirm what i've read in that on the 10th December those on board got 100% refund and 50% off another cruise.... ....The 22nd December passengers if they chose to cruise got 50% discount off the cruise and 50% off a future cruise ?

If that's correct why is my cruise 5th January only getting 20% off the cruise if we sail ? Doesn't sound fair to me ??