What can be done to stop people being late back

gelfy666

We've just recently come back from our Caribbean cruise on Azura.... Had a lovely time but there just one thing that annoys me and that's people who are late back to the ship.

I know the vast majority are always back at the time we are told, but everyday there are people who are late.... They just come wandering along as if anytime will do, the fact that there's only 1 gangway left out and crew are stood there waiting with their arms folded would inspire them to get a move on.

Is it just me or does it annoy others?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

Yes, its the same people who are always late back to the coach/bus on an excursion (at every stop !!) - We had 2 in Jerusalem recently who were 40 mins late back and just said 'Chill everyone - you are on holiday' - unbelievable.

No, it doesn't annoy me. I find watching the late arrivals from my balcony one of the better entertainment options on board. In fact, if you search on YouTube there are loads of clips of people running for cruise ships - and missing them!

Naturally I feel sorry for those with genuine reasons for being late, but I suspect that most are just idiots who leave it too late to start heading back to the ship.

I think a delayed departure of up to 30 mins, as long as it's for legitimate reasons, is usually OK. They usually build a lot of slack into timings and can make that time up easily. It's not like a plane where it can miss it's take off slot.

I have been on a ship which departed without late arrivals. Luckily for them it was a port which had an overnight ferry to our next destination, so they could rejoin the next day.

So, cruise ships definitely do depart without passengers and I doubt that those passengers will ever make the same mistake again. But on so many cruises now, over half the passengers are first timers, so the problem will never be eradicated.

Yes, its the same people who are always late back to the coach/bus on an excursion (at every stop !!) - We had 2 in Jerusalem recently who were 40 mins late back and just said 'Chill everyone - you are on holiday' - unbelievable.

This is the one that annoys me the most. Unlike on ship where I really don't mind, I feel being robbed of my own holiday with that kind of attitude.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

one thing that annoys me and that's people who are late back to the ship.

If it is gangplank up at 5pm, arriving any time before 5pm is not late.

You can only be late if you arrive after 5pm, and then either the ship sails without you if you are not on an excursion or waits if you are.

As for the crew stood there arms crossed, fair enough if it is after gangplank up time, but before that they have to be there, so what is the problem.

I have quite often chosen to get back on with less than 10 minutes to leave, for the simple reason there are no queues.

1 minute past leaving time, pull in the gangway and sail!

What really irritates me is people who are late for excursions. You have a leaving time of 9 am and they turn up at 10 past then the same people are always late back on the coach at the stops. :mad:

Of course there are exceptions. I watched a little ancient man, he must have been about 110 and manfully raced down the jetty at 2mph in his ' it ain't half hot mum' shorts with his little sparrows legs trying their best. They rushed a wheelchair to him and raced back with it. Everyone cheered and I hope they did not tell him off :)

I'd have gone ballistic !!!

Some did, but it was water off a ducks back. I felt for the Guide who was frantic with worry as at some point she would have to make the call to leave them, the bus was moved on 4 times from the waiting place and the driver was really not happy. We were late back for the early diners - bad end to an excellent trip. She had only left us for 15 mins for toilet etc - they went and had a coffee !!

On our Caribbean cruise (princess). We waited over 30 minutes for one late couple. Then we saw them getting out of a taxi and just wondering around and looking in the windows of the shops on the way back to the ship. The captain ordered the last gang plank up and sailed without them!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As someone who was late once in Venice, and I mean 5 minutes! We left enough time to get the vaporetto back and then the People Mover. However, the first two vaporettos were full and then we really started to worry. We made it but 5 minutes late. Very embarrassing and won't be doing it again.

Some people just cannot help themselves and are always late. For example, some children in my school (well their parents!) were late for school pretty much every morning and no number of quiet chats, firm letters, sending an LEA official etc made any difference. Some people just think don't bother and it's learned behaviour