A couple of Celebrity Rants

Hlitner

If discounts are available they should be available to all and openly advertised, I shouldn't pay more to dine in a restaurant just because I didn't realise I could haggle for a discount as though it's a carpet in Ali Baba's market. I then shouldn't be financially penalised because I don't drive as hard a bargain as SWMBO.

It is tacky IMO to ask for a discount in a restaurant, deals are usually advertised openly. I can only imagine if tomorrow when I'm in London what response I will get if when passing Gordon Ramsey's restaurant in Chelsea I nip in and see if they're up for a bit of haggling over dinner that evening

On the basis that others believe that as we haggle over the price of car so why not restaurants, I'm wondering what else I should start haggling over - Prices in the Duty Free Shop , cost of the Pringles Crisps in the on board Shop, price of a bottle of wine in the MDR, will they do me a deal on upgrading to the Premier Drinks package?

Of course you are certainly entitled to pay full price for anything...including a new car, cruise, specialty restaurant, etc. Some of us are just being friendly (and helpful to many folks) by suggesting that one may be able to get a discounted price. Its kind of like leading a horse to water....and watching them either drink....or perhaps drop from dehydration because they do not want to be bothered drinking :).

You can also get discounted prices at alternative restaurants by purchasing the new dining packages (they are listed on the Celebrity cruise site and your cruise personalizer).. But we do understand that some folks might be culturally offended by having to use the Internet, click the mouse, etc. So please feel free to not be offended....and continue to pay full price. As a stockholder we are always happy to see folks contribute more to the bottom line :). As to upgrading to the premium drink package, they do offer an onboard 10% discount for Elite Plus cruisers who use the coupon that is usually found in their cabin....but we assume there are some who would also be offended by having to use a coupon and prefer to pay full price

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

A good deal is a state of mind. If the price you pay is what you think is good then your in a good state of mind. Your friend shows you his new watch he just bought for xyz and says thought he got a good deal. In his mind he got a good deal just like someone else who bought it for less. I think a couple of reasons people negotiate are out of necessity or to feel that they won a contest of skill at negotiating.

Edited by weregoingcruising
added info

If discounts are available they should be available to all and openly advertised, I shouldn't pay more to dine in a restaurant just because I didn't realise I could haggle for a discount as though it's a carpet in Ali Baba's market. I then shouldn't be financially penalised because I don't drive as hard a bargain as SWMBO.

It is tacky IMO to ask for a discount in a restaurant, deals are usually advertised openly. I can only imagine if tomorrow when I'm in London what response I will get if when passing Gordon Ramsey's restaurant in Chelsea I nip in and see if they're up for a bit of haggling over dinner that evening

On the basis that others believe that as we haggle over the price of car so why not restaurants, I'm wondering what else I should start haggling over - Prices in the Duty Free Shop , cost of the Pringles Crisps in the on board Shop, price of a bottle of wine in the MDR, will they do me a deal on upgrading to the Premier Drinks package?

For crying out loud, there is no haggling required and using that sort of hyperbole is creating an absolutely inaccurate impression for the posters that have never been to a specialty restaurant on board or are new to cruising. Furthermore, Jeffrey Zaccharian's restaurant on Norwegian also offers discounts on some nights. He's an Iron Chef! You can't compare off shore restaurants to on board because the dynamics are different in numerous ways. One significant difference is that the passenger list is fixed for the length of the cruise. Also, visiting the restaurant is unlikely to be the purpose of the cruise but rather a secondary benefit.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you want it, feel free to pay top dollar. Or better yet, sail a different line. There are several that are utterly all inclusive, and they charge top dollar. Feel free to book there instead.

We suspect you are correct, although we have not seen confirmation. If that is true, we would possibly consider one of the dining packages (which we would review once aboard the ship) or simply do our usual thing of negotiating discounts at our favorite venues.

Hank

We are just off Silhouette today (sigh - sat here this evening lamenting the fact that if dinner was to be had, we'd have to *gasp* cook it ourselves!) and there were upcharge offerings in both Tuscan Grill and Muranos. I have to say, we dined in Tuscan and we weren't overwhelmed - service was lovely but we both wished we had booked Muranos again.

We just sailed on the Reflection 12/10-12/17. Lovely ship, and overall nice cruise, but my experience in the spa was quite the opposite. A little background..this was my 38th cruise and I've frequented the spa on nearly all of them. Never had a single bad experience with facials, massages, etc. I am familiar with the Steiner group that run the spas for other cruise lines as well as Canyon Ranch which Celebrity now uses. I am recovering from a serious surgery, and heat therapy has been instrumental during the healing process. I fell in love with the heated tile loungers on the Silhouette last year. As soon as I stepped aboard the Reflection, I went to the spa and immediately bought the unlimited weekly pass for Persian Gardens for 88.00 - it was the one thing I had anticipated most about the entire cruise. Ironically, during the spa open house tour, all the beds were full, but I didn't think much about it. I asked how soon I could use the pass, and the gal said not until later during dinner hours. That was fine. Came back that night and beds were full. No big deal. Returned at lunch the following two days. Beds were full again. Came back late afternoon and overheard another lady at the desk complaining about the same issue, and just left. I am not a complainer by nature, and I was also mindful that I was in the waiting area where people who were spending money to relax could overhear me and didn't want to create a negative vibe. After two port days, I went up and asked to speak to the manager (Vivian) after making sure no one was around. I explained what had happened. I politely asked her for a credit on my account. She told me the pass was non-refundable. I told her I hadn't even been able to use the pass a single time all week, she suggests I go use it right then- I was already dressed up for dinner at this hour, and couldn't. She just shrugs and says try tomorrow. I was shocked at her lack of professionalism, I've never seen this aboard a ship...ever. I went to guest services ( a first for me, as well). They contacted the spa on my behalf, and told me the spa would be calling my cabin later in the evening. No call, no voicemail. The last sea day, I return to the spa and spoke to Vivian who again refused the credit and told me to go use the beds right then, that she would personally make sure they were being rotated. I literally couldn't believe my ears. I reminded her that this wasn't like a pool lounger, that I had paid for something that they just were not providing, and that wasn't acceptable. It's not good business to oversell a service. The cruise was almost over. She became very argumentative and STILL insisted there was time to use the beds as long as I was onboard one last day. I truly left feeling insulted. I never did get to use the pass a single time. This alone could have ruined my cruise, because I was dreaming about those loungers for months, and was very disappointed. I won't return to another Canyon Ranch Spa, ever, this could have been handled so much better. FYI- It wasn't even about the credit, I actually disembarked yesterday with 78$ worth of OBC that wasn't ever spent. As a business owner, I just cannot imagine treating a client like this, and wanted others to know. Purchase the passes with caution, and low expectations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Celebrity, according to their own post on these boards, states that passes are only available in a limited number in order to make sure that everyone has use of the facility. I had dinner on my last cruise with the marketing officer. She was in charge of all the vendors. I have also dealt with guest services on a cruise and was utterly disappointed in their promises which never materialized. The marketing officer told me you should give guest services one shot at getting it right and if not, then escalate to the officer in change of that area. Don't take no for an answer. I know I anticipate for months going into the thelsatherapy pool and I would be very disappointed if it weren't available for some reason. Especially if I paid for it! I'm sorry this happened to you, and I hope it didn't ruin your cruise.

Regarding the Persian Garden post, I wonder if the poster (Z3Racergirl) is aware that every passenger in Aqua Class (and there are many on the S-Class ships) has unlimited free access to the Persian Garden. If only a fraction of Aqua Class passengers take advantage of that fact, there is far more demand for those heated loungers then the number of available loungers.

Hank

I can heartily agree with most of the observations relative to availability and quality in just the last year or so.

First, Tuscan grill has always overpriced and overrated for quality or lack of it, just a basic $15 steak at home with sub standard service.

Second, the buffet has been even worse than princess on our last two cruises and I Did complain to the chef who blamed it all on Miami and where they are allowed to source and budget items especially beef. He claimed that while nothing could be done now it would be better next year...we're on solstice next month so we shall see.

In blu, you can order off the mdr menu but they are not happy about it as it generally makes them work harder and fall behind on their service...simple solution expand the menu rotation or change the pattern more frequently.

We've been diehard celebrity customers but our next two cruises are do or die with them and food is one of the biggest complaints, i will suffer in semi-silence only for a short period, then I will spend my time and money elsewhere:D

We too just got off the Eclipse on December 11th. This was our 40th cruise and 4th this year. We had a great cruise just as we have had with the other 39. Cruising is what you make it and we can always find more things to enjoy than to complain about.

However, we were disappointed in the choices in the MDR. While what we had was good, there seemed to be less appealing choices than we have experienced in the past. This was especially true in the desert department. Our experience in the Specialty restaurant was less than satisfactory for both food and service. While we got a 30% discount to start with, I would not have dined there again for free.

The last time we sail with Celebrity was on this ship and it was the best cruise we had ever had. That was not the case this time and we will be sticking to Princess in the near future.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My cruising experience is rather limited - I've sailed twice with Celebrity. First was on Eclipse, about a year ago; I've just returned from my second cruise with them on the Reflection. Comparing the two, the meals and dining experience in the MDR were better on the Eclipse a year ago.

On Reflection, in my view, there were too many instances of overcooked meats (any request that was not "rare" arrived quite overdone), sauces and gravies were not too good, and did not contribute positively to the meal. Service was not as consistently good, at times rushed, and felt a bit hectic, as compared to service on the Eclipse.

Also, I purchased a drink package during the cruise. Before I had the package, the wine choices offered were considerably better than the wine I received after buying a package. (The wine offered when I did not have a package tended to exceed the cost that the package covered, but was better than the wine offered after I purchased the package. With the package I was not offered wine options, rather the server seemed to bring the "house" red or white, which was not as good as what was offered while "off package").

I wonder if the addition of upcharge specialty restaurants has contributed to a decline in MDR quality. Alternatively, it may be that the MDR kitchen on Eclipse was better at food selection and preparation.

The step-down in food was unfortunate, but overall, not so much that I wouldn't sail with them again. Another step down of the same degree might cause me to reconsider.

I found the buffet on Reflection to be quite good, with good and fresh food options. It sometimes took a while to replenish certain things, but overall it was good. Can't really compare the buffet on Eclipse, as I didn't dine there too much.

My cruising experience is rather limited - I've sailed twice with Celebrity. First was on Eclipse, about a year ago; I've just returned from my second cruise with them on the Reflection. Comparing the two, the meals and dining experience in the MDR were better on the Eclipse a year ago.

On Reflection, in my view, there were too many instances of overcooked meats (any request that was not "rare" arrived quite overdone), sauces and gravies were not too good, and did not contribute positively to the meal. Service was not as consistently good, at times rushed, and felt a bit hectic, as compared to service on the Eclipse.

Also, I purchased a drink package during the cruise. Before I had the package, the wine choices offered were considerably better than the wine I received after buying a package. (The wine offered when I did not have a package tended to exceed the cost that the package covered, but was better than the wine offered after I purchased the package. With the package I was not offered wine options, rather the server seemed to bring the "house" red or white, which was not as good as what was offered while "off package").

I wonder if the addition of upcharge specialty restaurants has contributed to a decline in MDR quality. Alternatively, it may be that the MDR kitchen on Eclipse was better at food selection and preparation.

The step-down in food was unfortunate, but overall, not so much that I wouldn't sail with them again. Another step down of the same degree might cause me to reconsider.

I found the buffet on Reflection to be quite good, with good and fresh food options. It sometimes took a while to replenish certain things, but overall it was good. Can't really compare the buffet on Eclipse, as I didn't dine there too much.

The debate about whether the MDR quality has changed is moot. Everyday steak in the MDR was poor this year on Ecliipse (thin and salty), but the Chateaubriand wasn't bad.

What is known, based on observations on the Eclipse, is that since Sushi on five opened the Sushi has disappeared from the buffet - so in that particular case there is a correlation.

Edited by DYKWIA

Welcome to the world of cruising where nothing ever seems totally consistent, from ship to ship or year to year. It has been that way for the more then forty years we have been cruising. Thought we would share a few thoughts about your post. When it comes to the drink packages, the options offered with the Classic Package are, at best, drinkable. And the package is designed so that you would have to pay the full cost of anything over the package's maximum price. If you upgrade to the Premium Package this does give you access to more choices (plus you can order even more expensive wines and only pay the difference). But on our recent Eclipse cruise we were very disappointed in the available wines by the glass (we had the Premium Package) with the exception of in Murano where they have their own wine list with some decent options (but at a price over the Premium limit).

But what really got my attention was your "rushed" comment about the MDR. We are finding this not just on Celebrity, but on many other cruise lines. Cut backs in staff often leave waiters with more diners then in the past, and this can sometimes result in a degradation of service. Its particularly true for those that dine early or in the Prime hours up until about 7:30. But for those that choose to dine later (we have found 7:45+ to work for us) the staff atmosphere often changes for the better. The wait staff is no longer under pressure to push out diners so that the later folks have a place to dine. Staff often is more relaxed and not in as much of a hurry. It is a big advantage to dining later..rather then earlier. And the evening shows attended by later diners are usually far less crowded then the shows (usually at 9pm) used by most early diners. None of what I say excuses bad or rushed service....but is simply the facts of the matter.

Hank

Thank you, Hank. I will consider your observations, and my experiences when planning my next cruise. :)

Although I may not have considered a premium drink package, I will now factor in the cost of preferred wines before I make that decision.

Your comment about staff waiting on more tables makes sense. I didn't appreciate why I might feel rushed while there were empty tables, but more tables per waitstaff, could explain this. I will also consider later dining (I agree, that I noticed less rushing during the later dinner seating); unfortunately, this sometimes means forgoing a show. I think it would be sensible to try to coordinate the show times with dining times, but that does not seem to be the case with late dining and late shows.

I'll also try to keep some flexibility in my expectations. ;)

I have to admit being just a bit nervous with this thread - we are sailing on the Reflection in AQ in May, and I'm really hoping that Blu is as good as I remember, which is why we book AQ.

As for the Tuscan Grill, I've looked at the menus on the Preismans' web site (they always have such great info!), and it's significantly different from the Tuscan Grill menu that's on Celebrity's web site. We've eaten in the Tuscan Grill a few times, and it's always among our favorite specialty restaurants. I'm not really knocked out by the current menu that's been posted and I'm kind of curious about the differences.

Saw a friend recently in Infinity who is from food services at a Miami HQRRIS. He told me that the Blu menus are scheduled to be the next to be updated. I am in AQ twice in January and I'll see if there are changes. On the Silhouette TA dinners in the MDR were consistently excellent, at least for my choices and taste. The Executive Chef was on loan from Azamara and took some of us on a special Galley tour.

That's good to know. Thank you! I'll look forward to hearing more.

I have to admit being just a bit nervous with this thread - we are sailing on the Reflection in AQ in May, and I'm really hoping that Blu is as good as I remember, which is why we book AQ.

As for the Tuscan Grill, I've looked at the menus on the Preismans' web site (they always have such great info!), and it's significantly different from the Tuscan Grill menu that's on Celebrity's web site. We've eaten in the Tuscan Grill a few times, and it's always among our favorite specialty restaurants. I'm not really knocked out by the current menu that's been posted and I'm kind of curious about the differences.

The Preisman's menu would likely be the most current, since they were just with us on the Silhouette last month, when those menus were posted.

Your comment about staff waiting on more tables makes sense. I didn't appreciate why I might feel rushed while there were empty tables, but more tables per waitstaff, could explain this. I will also consider later dining (I agree, that I noticed less rushing during the later dinner seating); unfortunately, this sometimes means forgoing a show. I think it would be sensible to try to coordinate the show times with dining times, but that does not seem to be the case with late dining and late shows.

Traditional dining is in fact well coordinated with show times. If you're in Select however it's up to you to decide whether you prefer the early or late show and schedule your dining reservations accordingly.

For many years we always took early traditional, however on X that meant a long after-dinner wait for the 9pm shows. Now we book late traditional and stroll from the 7pm show, to the bar, to the mdr. The late service does feel more relaxed and unhurried. The downside I have to overcome is a powerful 5pm urge for a Celebrity burger.

Traditional dining is in fact well coordinated with show times. If you're in Select however it's up to you to decide whether you prefer the early or late show and schedule your dining reservations accordingly.

For many years we always took early traditional, however on X that meant a long after-dinner wait for the 9pm shows. Now we book late traditional and stroll from the 7pm show, to the bar, to the mdr. The late service does feel more relaxed and unhurried. The downside I have to overcome is a powerful 5pm urge for a Celebrity burger.

On my last sailing, late seating, traditional dining began at 8:30, too late to attend the late show, which was scheduled for 9:00. (Is late seating for traditional dining typically 8:00?)

Edited by rootswings

On my last sailing, late seating, traditional dining began at 8:30, too late to attend the late show, which was scheduled for 9:00. (Is late seating for traditional dining typically 8:00?)

Late seating time varies a bit by itinerary, but the late show is designed for early seating (and early Select), not for late dining. The 7:00 show is designed for that.

If you have late traditional ding and want to see the entertainment you need to go to the early show. I believe the show time for late diners is 7:PM.

Late seating time varies a bit by itinerary, but the late show is designed for early seating (and early Select), not for late dining. The 7:00 show is designed for that.

If you have late traditional ding and want to see the entertainment you need to go to the early show. I believe the show time for late diners is 7:PM.

Looks like you posted as I was typing. Obviously I agree. ;o)

We sailed on the Summit in late August. There are only two specialty restaurants (if you don't count Bistro on Five/Sushi on Five). Qzine and Tuscan.

We found our second experience at Qzine to be totally horrible. The food was cold and overly spiced, despite our repeated requests for only "non hot" selections. The first time a year earlier was great.

We had lunch at Tuscan on a sea day. It was fabulous. I had the Branzini and it was cooked and flavored to perfection. Although the spinach was very heavy on the garlic and next time I would request far less. My mother's meal was also fabulous. Well worth the $20 pp and we look forward to eating dinner there next time around.

Requesting the everyday classic items from the MDR in Blu is not a hardship. The kitchens are co-located on the Summit. The wait staff even announces the everyday selections when they greet you in Blu.

We enjoyed every meal in Blu with the exception of the "top chef at sea" night. It was really terrible. We both had halibut (I believe) cooked in parchment with a lobster stew sauce. Very odd to have a sauce that has potatoes and carrots in it. The halibut was so over cooked it was difficult to cut. The appetizers and deserts were equally odd and unappetizing. Whole meal was poorly conceived. However, every other night there were delicious options. Not the very best cuisine I have ever had, but quite well done considering the price and circumstances for preparation. Remember too that they can not source locally in most ports. Unlike land based restaurants that can change their menus to match what is in season and grown locally, and sourced daily.