Worried first timer

Malemew

The gratuities are not mandatory, but once you see the level of service that most will give you, you'll feel that the service folks deserve their tips. You do have choice...but most choose to leave tips "as are".

Used to be, you had to have cash, and personally hand those who served you their tips. Many folks didn't understand how that works, and now, they simply add the tips to your account, and it takes all the guesswork out of it.

We have no plans to remove it, it's just a very bizarre thing to get my head around. You pay for a cruise and then judging by the replies here, pay for the crews salary ontop. This feels morally wrong to me in some ways. Maybe I am misunderstanding the point, but shouldn't the cruise line be paying their staff regardless? I always tip for good service, at my own discretion, just feels a bit cheeky that we don't have that choice.

Thank you! As another Brit on a first cruise in may, this is exactly my thoughts on the tipping policy.

Before anyone wants to string me up, unless I'm horrified at how I'm treated (and judging by reviews I likely won't be) I won't be touching the service charge. I don't like the way people are paid far less than our minimum wage and have to rely on tips. But as that's the way it is, and I want those behind the scenes to also benefit, I'll leave the servive charges be.

It's taken me a bit of understanding. Seriously. to you guys from The states, this is totally alien to us.

I'm guessing we can sometimes sound like a grumpy load of whiners who don't like parting with money. Honest we're not. Not all of us anyway lol. The responses on here to any questions about tips Are strong ones. I know what it looks like, but I really don't want anyone to not have pay because I didn't tip. I'm not stingey either. I just hadnt realised how much pay is from tips.

Our TA's don't help. I've spoken to three in depth and they have all said not to worry about the service charge. It's discretionary. Pay it if you get great service. One went as far as to say only pay it to those who you feel deserve it.

Our minimum wage is totally rubbish when you take into acct taxes and cost of living. But it IS around $10 an hr. tips on top are very very welcome but not needed to the same level.

Live and learn.

And factor In The tip charge when looking at cruise cost. :)

I usually tip what they ask us to .On a few occasions I have given more for outstanding service

Re dress code ...I like to look nice ..in spe ialty restaurants ..its kinda nice to be elegant

I like to dress nice ...no gowns or anything but simple cute dresses or nice slacks and tops

Also remeber ships are notoriously cool to cold ..so bring shawls or sweaters

Gentlemen look better even in a casual jacket or blazer ....

Just enjoy ..dont fret

Wear what you want. As a previous poster said there are only a couple of restaurants that require long pants for men. Polo and shorts are fine in the evening for all venues except those couple of restaurants. I've been on 9 NCL cruises in the last couple of years. I take a pair of jeans and gym shoes for the nights we go to those restaurants. Some other people like to dress up more. You may want to if you're thinking of having pictures taken. They take a lot of pictures on cruise ships, but they're not cheap. It's up you though. That's why a lot of people select NCL over other lines. Freestyle is a big part of the their branding.

I think it's especially odd for people from a non-tipping culture. It's actually financially beneficial for the crew to be paid this way--there are typically tax benefits for them. I don't know this directly, but this topic has been discussed to death here, and that's been posted many times. One way or the other the passengers pay the crew's salary--whether it's through higher fares or through the gratuity system. You'll soon learn this is a hot-button topic here on CC.

For most of the crew, for the countries they live in, there is no financial benefit to the crew for this. For instance, the Philippines specifically says that anything received from the employer, whether called wage, salary, or gratuity, is taxable as income.

The reason the cruise lines do this is real simple, and two fold:

1. They can advertise a lower fare by paying crew salary by DSC (daily service charge), which makes the cruise seem more affordable.

2. They use this as a "performance" and "team building" model, so that if one person in the DSC pool performs poorly, then all in the pool suffer, so team pressure builds on the poor performer. Also, the company can say "hey, it wasn't us that reduced your salary, it was the passengers", so they shift the blame for the "stick" half of the carrot and stick method.

For most of the crew, for the countries they live in, there is no financial benefit to the crew for this. For instance, the Philippines specifically says that anything received from the employer, whether called wage, salary, or gratuity, is taxable as income.

The reason the cruise lines do this is real simple, and two fold:

1. They can advertise a lower fare by paying crew salary by DSC (daily service charge), which makes the cruise seem more affordable.

2. They use this as a "performance" and "team building" model, so that if one person in the DSC pool performs poorly, then all in the pool suffer, so team pressure builds on the poor performer. Also, the company can say "hey, it wasn't us that reduced your salary, it was the passengers", so they shift the blame for the "stick" half of the carrot and stick method.

Well, I certainly wouldn't question you with your experience. I've just seen it posted so many times that the crew doesn't have to pay as much in taxes on tips as they do on salary that I assumed there must be some truth in it. It's on the internet after all. LOL. ;)

Well, I certainly wouldn't question you with your experience. I've just seen it posted so many times that the crew doesn't have to pay as much in taxes on tips as they do on salary that I assumed there must be some truth in it. It's on the internet after all. LOL. ;)

Many contracts are written such that a percentage of salary must be sent home to the home country, ostensibly for the family, but really so the crewing agency can take a percentage cut. The rest of the salary is paid to the crew onboard, into their onboard account, which they get when they sign off. The crewing agency doesn't get a cut of this. However, I don't believe it runs down the line of wage vs. DSC, more like 60/40 or some other percentage.

Now, tips given directly from the guest to the crew are considered differently from the DSC, but mostly it is still taxable.

Edited by chengkp75

We have no plans to remove it, it's just a very bizarre thing to get my head around. You pay for a cruise and then judging by the replies here, pay for the crews salary ontop. This feels morally wrong to me in some ways. Maybe I am misunderstanding the point, but shouldn't the cruise line be paying their staff regardless? I always tip for good service, at my own discretion, just feels a bit cheeky that we don't have that choice.

Customers paying tips to staff to make up a majority of the pay is very typical in the US. A restaurant server typically makes around $2 an hour, even though minimum wage is $9+. They are allowed to pay "tipped" occupations less and yes, the customer is left make up the difference. I've seen seen things in Europe/Australia that seem equally cheeky to me such as a service charge on a restaurant check, an increased charge at restaurants for weekends and holidays, having stores round the bill to the nearest dollar and not give change back. None of those things would be seen in America, but we write them off as cultural oddities. I would look at this the same way; this is how it's done in the US and when in Rome...

As far as excursions in port. I prefer to book with independent operators ahead of time. Yes, if you want a simple island tour or basic snorkel trip, I'm sure you can walk off the boat and find someone offering those services at a good price. I prefer to research companies and make plans with a company that is well reviewed. I typically look at the ship shore excursions just to get an idea of what is offered in each port, then use google and trip advisor to locate local operators. The exception to this is if the tour your want involves traveling very far to the attraction or if the length of the tour just fits into the port stop, it may be worth booking with the ship to have a little more assurance that if there is a delay you will make it back to the boat.

Enjoy your cruise!

From ncl.com:

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. How much is the charge? Onboard Service Charges are additional.

Also from ncl.com

Specialty Dining Package from 3 - 7 Days

There’s no better way to enjoy our wide selection of delicious dining options than with our Specialty Dining Packages. Enjoy specialty restaurants on your choi ...

PER PERSON PRICE $81.42 - $152.22

Price range includes an 18% specialty service charge.

Now my two cents:

You don't need to tip, just cover your service charges. Those that tip onboard are paying extra, but that is their option.

Even if you purchase or accept a promotional Specialty Dining or Beverage package you pay a service charge so there isn't a need to tip more, you aren't cheating the servers. If you choose to tip more that is your choice, but not tipping at the meal or with drink service isn't the same as not tipping at all.

I have had much better than acceptable service on NCL and have no expectation to request a service charge refund, in fact for budgeting purposes I prepay them.

Edited by Nola26

Thank you! As another Brit on a first cruise in may, this is exactly my thoughts on the tipping policy.

Before anyone wants to string me up, unless I'm horrified at how I'm treated (and judging by reviews I likely won't be) I won't be touching the service charge. I don't like the way people are paid far less than our minimum wage and have to rely on tips. But as that's the way it is, and I want those behind the scenes to also benefit, I'll leave the servive charges be.

It's taken me a bit of understanding. Seriously. to you guys from The states, this is totally alien to us.

I'm guessing we can sometimes sound like a grumpy load of whiners who don't like parting with money. Honest we're not. Not all of us anyway lol. The responses on here to any questions about tips Are strong ones. I know what it looks like, but I really don't want anyone to not have pay because I didn't tip. I'm not stingey either. I just hadnt realised how much pay is from tips.

Our TA's don't help. I've spoken to three in depth and they have all said not to worry about the service charge. It's discretionary. Pay it if you get great service. One went as far as to say only pay it to those who you feel deserve it.

Our minimum wage is totally rubbish when you take into acct taxes and cost of living. But it IS around $10 an hr. tips on top are very very welcome but not needed to the same level.

Live and learn.

And factor In The tip charge when looking at cruise cost. :)

Just think of it as a VAT. You don't question that or find it odd in Europe, do you?

We in the United States would be outraged over a VAT which would cause people to dress up like Native Americans, go nuts and throw things overboard. :eek:

People don't pay taxes on unreported tips. If it is routed through their employer then it has to be accounted for.

Thanks again everyone for your comments and advice.

We'll keep the DSC on, like some of you say, when in Rome :)

I'll have a look on the forums at highly rated shore excursion providers as well.

Again, just think of it as a VAT which goes to the worker and not the government.

On a related note, what's an acceptable additional tip for asking the room stewards to replace our sheets every day of a seven-night cruise? Last time we did that for seven nights, we left our steward a $20 bill on the next-to-last day. Was that enough, too much, or too little?

Edited by RaiderDuck

On a related note, what's an acceptable additional tip for asking the room stewards to replace our sheets every day of a seven-night cruise? Last time we did that for seven nights, we left our steward a $20 bill on the next-to-last day. Was that enough, too much, or too little?

Clean sheets every day sounds excessive to me, but $20 sounds fair to me.

I don't know - I don't even know what it's for - hence why I'm

Asking here

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

https://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

Regarding the service charge...let me see if I can explain this as someone who has been a tipped employee before.

In the United States, our labor laws are a bit behind the times. Unfortunately, in order to change them, it requires a monumental act of Congress and the President...which isn't likely to happen for at least another 4 years, if ever. So, couldn't employers just pay their workers a fair wage? You'd think that, but without minimum wage laws, they wouldn't even pay that. (Greedy b***ards).

So, two categories of workers come into play on a cruise ship - tipped and non-tipped. This is classified by the workers' employment paper work filed wit the Internal Revenue Service. Non-tipped employees are required, by federal law, to be paid at least $7.25/hour. Easy, right?

Then we have tipped employees. The minimum wage salary for a tipped employee (waiters, salon employees, stewards, bartenders, etc) is a measly $2.65/hour. No, that's not a typo. And, the only reason they are paid that is so that there's something to deduct the taxes from because these people are taxed on the $2.65/hour + any tips they make. So, not tipping them may actually COST them money.

It's a goofy, backwards system, and I agree employers should just pay people enough to start with, but this is the system we have.

That being said...I usually tip my room steward a little extra. :-)

IIRC, the laws regarding cruise ship employee pay fall under international law, which mandates lower rates of pay than the already-ridiculously-low US minimum wage for tipped employees. That's why almost every cruise will stop in more than one country: As soon as your Seattle-to-Alaska cruise stops in Vancouver BC, it becomes an "International Cruise" and is not subject to United States minimum wage laws.

Just think of it as a VAT. You don't question that or find it odd in Europe, do you?

We in the United States would be outraged over a VAT which would cause people to dress up like Native Americans, go nuts and throw things overboard. :eek:

Lol! VAT Odd? Sadly no. Question it? Definitely! , CC obviously not the forum for voicing those opinions :eek: :D

We wouldn't throw things overboard, we'd grumble and tut, make a few passive aggressive comments then calm down with a cuppa. Probably. :rolleyes: :)

Still, I do see a comparison. tips are like VAT in that I don't have to like the reasons for why it's payable. It's expected and hopefully for others benefit....

I'm feeling that they'll be much more 'value added' on a cruise- I'll let you guys know how I feel after I've experienced my first holiday at sea

Regarding the service charge...let me see if I can explain this as someone who has been a tipped employee before.

In the United States, our labor laws are a bit behind the times. Unfortunately, in order to change them, it requires a monumental act of Congress and the President...which isn't likely to happen for at least another 4 years, if ever. So, couldn't employers just pay their workers a fair wage? You'd think that, but without minimum wage laws, they wouldn't even pay that. (Greedy b***ards).

So, two categories of workers come into play on a cruise ship - tipped and non-tipped. This is classified by the workers' employment paper work filed wit the Internal Revenue Service. Non-tipped employees are required, by federal law, to be paid at least $7.25/hour. Easy, right?

Then we have tipped employees. The minimum wage salary for a tipped employee (waiters, salon employees, stewards, bartenders, etc) is a measly $2.65/hour. No, that's not a typo. And, the only reason they are paid that is so that there's something to deduct the taxes from because these people are taxed on the $2.65/hour + any tips they make. So, not tipping them may actually COST them money.

It's a goofy, backwards system, and I agree employers should just pay people enough to start with, but this is the system we have.

That being said...I usually tip my room steward a little extra. :-)

Good explanation of tipping and wages in the US, but it is basically irrelevant to cruising, since none of the crew (very, very small percentage) are covered by US minimum wage or tax laws. And don't ever confuse the DSC charged by the cruise lines with a "tip" (and I know I'm about to start a "tipping thread" debate now). The DSC is charged for the reasons I stated a few posts up, to keep fares down, and to provide a "stick" to the crew that cannot be traced back to the benevolent cruise line employer.

Under the Maritime Labor Convention, all seafarers, regardless of whether their job is included in the DSC pool or not, have the same minimum wage, so if the DSC portion of the salary combined with the wage does not meet the minimum, the cruise line has to make up the difference. Though, in fact, the wages paid to DSC pool crew are slightly higher than the minimum so that there can be some reduction without triggering the minimum.

Vat included in the price sales tax added at the checkout very little difference maybe u should be outraged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk