Jewel of the Seas Review 12-11-16.. or.. ''A Cruise is what you make of it 2016''

TAPNKEGS

ok where was I...oh yea Windjammer. I loved the layout, really kept traffic flowing and broke up the lines I have been a part of on other ships where you just have one long buffet line mirrored on either side of the Lido deck.

31868403672_19de94722e_b.jpg

SUBJECTIVE WARNING: I however, was not impressed with the food. I had heard grumblings of Windjammer quality declining and for me alone, I would have to say that it is not unwarranted. There was an ok selection, but the flavors of things were just ''meh''.

For example for the first couple days, the grilling stations had very good burgers (not Guy's quality) but quite good, then they switched to a flat sad pretty aweful tasting thing for the rest of the cruise. Not sure why, but to not at least be able to get a good burger was disappointing.

31868402942_849b3774e8_b.jpg

that grill station would shake things up a bit by offering taco type stuff and some attempts at asian cuisine with mixed results.

Breakfast was also hit and miss. the grill stations were turned into omelet stations that took your order, gave a number and called you when it was ready ( good system there) really alieviated the lines at other omelet stations I have seen.

31176054094_d65f4cdde5_b.jpg

there was no bacon police (hooray) but the eggs... I have never seen more watery eggs consistently over the week then here. twas a bit sad. Next to the omelet station, they had toast type stuff: bagels, english muffins, white and wheat toast, but it was all predone....meaning cold and very tough. They used a VERY thin white bread that after being toasted and sitting there a bit before taken was hard as rock. I understand the need to have things readily available but once again, I do miss the fresh toast and english muffins that were done as needed.

32016369185_b067348e45_b.jpg

also on dinner service, the other side grill station would be firing up made to order steaks and grilled chicken breasts. These were actually very good and became a staple of mine. For dinner, they had fresh warm rolls (most of the time).

For the salad eaters, there was an entire station dedicated along with various soups. The selection was there for the most part, but again it was the quality I found lacking. Others mentioned it was delicious. only you can decide.

There was also an area dedicated to small sandwiches and these I saw fly off the displays with regularity

31176052584_282caf3422_z.jpg

They also had one or two fresh carve stations going, but I didnt see alot utilize it. I did see turkey, ham, roast beef and pork, but what I did see seemed very fatty (apart from the turkey)

31176053664_79a60c1169_z.jpg

more on the way..

Once you entered the buffet are proper, there was a table there always displaying something: drink packages, a beer vendor, a huge dessert or gigantic omelet or homemade donuts with various topping to apply ( dang those donuts were good though)

31176052924_f35c5380ab_b.jpg

just off to either side of this table were 2 identical drink stations that would have trays of various free

drinks ready to go ( and at often times very watered down) such as: lemonde, unsweet tea and water. They also had fresh coffee brewing all the time, teabags and packets of hot chocolate was also available. there were never lines to get drinks that I witnessed. Although you can see fountain soda here, this was charge by glass when I asked.

31176053274_64eb19d8e0_b.jpg

also, there were 2 self serve drink stations on either side of the rear outdoor eating area of windjammer that had their own ice machines, so if you wanted a nice strong lemonade, I would advise getting them here

31706772460_8ec0279905_b.jpg

lastly, there were 2 dessert stations on either side of the rear indoor area of the windjammer. They had a decent variety of things here on offer but a favorite of myself and many others were fresh chocolate chip cookies a plenty that were delicious.

31952378546_a3c1593198_b.jpg

Apart from the odd closing of this entire area from 5:30-6:30pm, the windjammer had a fair amount to offer. And a huge plus for the comfortable and spacious seating outside for eating

31933959292_321aef3ea9_b.jpg

31272073373_9780649561_b.jpg

On to the Tides main dining room

lower entry to Tides

32016365045_67993f5c04_b.jpg

upper (main) entry to Tides

32016364465_b0b624df28_b.jpg

32016365685_5500506bd8_b.jpg

This venue was just stunning. Compared to what I have seen before, this just blew it away.

32016363755_fbb998d369_b.jpg

at the bottom of this stairwell, if you looked behind you, you saw this..

32016363405_6f29d7ac22_b.jpg

a bit hard to see, but there was a grand piano at the base as well. The room just had a real class to the decor

32016362955_8f841601fd_z.jpg

more..

we only ate there twice, but the service was impeccable ( again, subjective) The people there work VERY hard and the pride with which they do so came across loud and clear. We did your time dining so we would show up ask for a table for 2 and never waited more then 5 minutes. They allow you to reserve a table like that up to 24 hrs ahead of time.

31899589131_773dff2ccb_b.jpg

since we brought our own wine onboard, I had asked ahead of time at the reservation desk if there was a corkage fee and they said no, so no worries there.

The quality of food there was nothing special that we had but a bit above what the buffet offered naturally. If you ate at the priced resturaunts, you had the option of ordering something from those menus at an additional cost.

more from around the ship...

Deck 13 Vortex club

32016361775_dda2d2abbf_b.jpg

this was a sad place. from the refit, they needed to put the premium club somewhere and chose to cordon off an area of the deck here to do that. It looked really haphazard and shoehorned in you can see by the sickly blue partition wall

32016360735_f811298d8f_b.jpg

I know the premier class folks deserve to have their special spaces but this just made things look cheap

32016360375_895ac9c0ef_b.jpg

besides this....and maybe I am just getting old and don't stay up as much as I used to, but I took many a stroll through here at all hours and never saw a soul in this club area... day or night.

32016361095_192a236637_b.jpg

31965024151_eeb8fcfbf6_c.jpg

a couple random pics from around the ship to round out the night, next..

Nice pics! What a beautiful ship! I've seen a lot of people here praising Jewel, but this is the first time that I look inside a Radiance Class, and I think they have a good reason.

Seriously considering Jewel for my next sailing.

Great review so far! We are on the Jewel in April 2017 - did you do any fitness classes? If so, do you know the charges for same? Do they have spin bikes? If so, do they have clip system? Can you use the spin bikes when class is not in session?

Thanks!

Call me crazy... You're Crazy... But didn't the bar in Vortex rotate around??? Or am I thinking of another ship... Our first cruise ever was on Jewel and we are revisiting her in a few weeks.

It's been awhile, but the circular bar itself (not the whole lounge) did when we were aboard. I think EX had their bar

rotating too, but not sure if it still does.

Edited by island lady

Thanks for the review. Of all the RCI ships I think Jewel is my favorite. Did a cruise similar to yours a few years ago. There is one thing about your review that is like "nails on the blackboard" for me. You refer to her as "The" Jewel. She is a lady! Please refer to her by name, not title. Do you refer to your wife as "The" Mary? If your wife is anything like mine you would only do that once! Anyway, back to your review. I was sad to see the Seaview Café was removed. That was my favorite place to eat on the ship. And I've also found that food quality has gone downhill fleet-wide. I guess it's a sign of the times. I look forward to the rest of your review!

Elvis

Call me crazy... You're Crazy... But didn't the bar in Vortex rotate around??? Or am I thinking of another ship... Our first cruise ever was on Jewel and we are revisiting her in a few weeks.

I was thinking the same thing! It used to rotate, we took a spin in 2012!

Edited by B_Mc

Call me crazy... You're Crazy... But didn't the bar in Vortex rotate around??? Or am I thinking of another ship... Our first cruise ever was on Jewel and we are revisiting her in a few weeks.[/quote

Yes it rotates. At least it did last January. We will find out in a couple weeks too.

Thanks for your review and the beautiful pics. We have a cruise booked on Jewel for Spring break 2018. I was thinking of moving it to another week since I really want more than one day pre-cruise to explore San Juan. I am actually more excited about the ship now than I am about San Juan.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you'll post pictures of the kid's pool/splash area.

We were in the Virtex for Happy Hour several times in Nov. and Dec. We saw the bar rotate once.

Also we saw the roof of the solarium open once on a port day.

We're enjoying your review.

St. Maartin: as I am sure many can vouch for, its never a fun thing when you wake up at a new island and this weather greets you..

31242867324_5559ae78cf_b.jpg

however, those who have experienced caribbean weather before can also say that it can chang in what amounts to minutes at times to this...

31966172931_e8f11e5c47_c.jpg

much better. Since the excursions from the ship seemed quite pricey for what was available, I decided to do my homework ahead of time and through a little digging on Trip Advisor, found Bernards Tours. Nothing outlandishly special but for about $40 per person, you will get a nice guided tour though both the Dutch and French side of the island. The tour lasted about 4ish hours and free soft drinks, water, and a special rum punch was available. There were about 6-7 people per bus and they were clean and the AC was cool.

In between clouds and sun, our first stop was a little coastal lookout point.

31242847714_266feff579_c.jpg

31273627983_7d16d74f55_b.jpg

There was a local character who when we arrived was ''fishing'' around for sea urchins

31935455402_03b99e2225_b.jpg

you could tell right away he was really into his work

31708433400_8dbc496b1b_b.jpg

more..

after his little dive, he showed and let us handle what he found before returning it to the water.

31242810234_f92df502ae_b.jpg

The day before, there was a huge rainstorm and our driver mentioned that normally iguanas were all over the place but to that point, we saw none. Then over a rise, we spotted a little pulloff where a local was feeding some greens to a bunch that decided to come and show off.

31966085881_eeabcfb93a_b.jpg

no one from our bus wanted to get out lol except me

32083866215_bdb056ece5_b.jpg

We then toured around the island some more taking in the sights and enjoying the very informative commentary from our guide. Our next stop was a little shop area on a hill with a nice overlook to the nude beaches. I only had a 300mm lens with me so not much to see from this distance anyway. It was a nice view regardless

32044775036_1c974ef24e_b.jpg

At the little shop are there was a small place that took care of abandoned pets. There was this cat there that just seemed too cool for pictures...note the crossed paws...such a princess

31273551793_d27914991d_b.jpg

alas, she was not a fan of paparazzi

31966052081_77d79d89df_b.jpg

moving on...

We headed around the french side of the island and saw some nice houses..

32083831035_e6dbbbde94_b.jpg

and a shipwreck from a hurricane

31708307570_da623f012c_b.jpg

we next stopped in the french town of Marigot. Its right by the water and had lots of vendor tents and some high end shops to choose from. Watching over the town was an old fort that had 250 some steps to get to. We had an hour here to shop and eat. There was also public restrooms to use which were clean.

31935392242_065e8037f0_b.jpg

We then headed to Maho beach. This is the beach practically kissing the runway for the main airport where you can get some great pics of planes arriving and pics of the fools who try to hang on to a beer while holding on to the runway fence with the other hand as a 747 blasts them and their now sandy beverage into the water.

The beach was nice enough, but man was it CROWDED. There is a popular resturant/ bar that seems like it never gets slow and constant traffic.

31966024571_ae83acbebc_b.jpg

we only saw one plane come in

31966013031_3ccc06e2f3_b.jpg

31708267910_646cdf8c6a_b.jpg

cont..