Jewel of the Seas Review 12-11-16.. or.. ''A Cruise is what you make of it 2016''

TAPNKEGS

testing my memory to the limit here lol. I want to say 7:15ish pm methinks

I was on this cruise as well. Muster drill was 8pm. and I'm pretty sure they shut down the bars etc. at 7:45pm in preparation for the muster drill - so plan your dinner hour accordingly. For late seating dinner was very casual - no bathing suits, but shorts were definitely ok.

Even though it's been several years since we cruised on Jewel, it has always remained my all-time favorite ship. I think she is stunningly beautiful, and thanks to your exceptional pictures, I'm happy to see she is still beautiful. I'm enjoying your review very much. Thanks for doing it.

Edited by KeywestK

Even though it's been several years since we cruised on Jewel, it has always remained my all-time favorite ship. I think she is stunningly beautiful, and thanks to your exceptional pictures, I'm happy to see she is still beautiful. I'm enjoying your review very much. Thanks for doing it.

Again with total subjective opinion in mind, I completely agree. The Jewel is just an outstanding striking design. I have been on several other ships from new to old and none stood out as much as the Jewel. glad you are enjoying the ride :)

One thing a lot of people did not notice is that on the pedistal for the map placard, there were elevator buttons along with one that only was for going to decks 12&13...just so you know

31872644621_e230359d9e_c.jpg

We were recently on Jewel for 16 days and never noticed those buttons. Thanks! Looking forward to some more great photos and info.

There is no fee for the pool tables. The Schooner bartender will hold your Seapass card when you check out the billiard balls. And give it back when you return them.

Surprised they still do that on Jewel. On our Radiance and Brilliance cruises, the balls are freely available. Also, they have given up on the leveling feature on Brilliance.

Surprised they still do that on Jewel. On our Radiance and Brilliance cruises, the balls are freely available. Also, they have given up on the leveling feature on Brilliance.

Don't remember the leveling working on the spring 2015 TA on Brilliance. No issues with the table on Serenade two weeks ago (all equipment left by the table).

Edited by Biker19

I was on this cruise as well. Muster drill was 8pm. and I'm pretty sure they shut down the bars etc. at 7:45pm in preparation for the muster drill - so plan your dinner hour accordingly. For late seating dinner was very casual - no bathing suits, but shorts were definitely ok.

I was gonna say, I read 7:15 earlier and that didn't seem right. I have a specialty dinner reservation at 6:00, so that should be plenty of time. 7:15, however, would rush dessert, so the extra half hour is needed.

As I said before, I will not be perfect in some recollections ie: fees for pool tables, muster drill time etc.... doing my best here. I apologize for any errors.

So the first night of sleep didn't start so well due to the music from the centrum bleeding into the cabin. I remembered the signs posted on the firedoors earlier that stated they would be closed at 9:30pm to help with the noise, but it was 11pm and nothing was closed and the music was a blarin. I like music and all but when you can't get away from it in your cabin, it becomes a bit of a problem.

I then proceeded to go to guest services to inquire about it and they said they "forgot" and would have it done. A few minutes later, there was silence...much better

Monday morning: St. Croix

31868410832_f38cd07eea_b.jpg

31868410452_e921f5f0f6_b.jpg

A nice little island that didn't seem too built up. Looking at the excursions offered by Royal and Tripadvisor, unless you were really into snorkeling, there really wasn't a whole lot offered. It looked like a lot of people just wandered off to hike around or check the little pavillion at the end of the pier filled with vendor tents and then wandered back to the ship.

32016373705_e3432ca359_c.jpg

Just to the left of the end of the pier, there was a small "slave fort" that charged a small fee (like $5 per person...again approximately) that we did not partake in.

31868410052_8c822a87fa_b.jpg

these canons were stuck face down in front of the fort..not sure why

32016373265_cc03503038_b.jpg

to the right of the end of the pier, there was a nice walkway that was good for shots of the ship.

32016373975_9730fbda30_b.jpg

more..

32016372535_d4736101d8_c.jpg

The nice thing about starting the cruise from San Juan is that there was more time per stop (8-5pm) at each location. So you had time to take in an activity, come back grab a nap or a bite and stroll back out for some shopping. At this particular stop, we just didn't plan on much so I am sure someone else who was there could elaborate on things to do there.... but man that water was inviting indeed...

31868406352_c2977c216b_b.jpg

so 5pm comes around, the horn sounds, the pilot boat arrives...

31868405432_27c3ef8263_b.jpg

and the screws turn, its time to head to St. Maartin

31868404612_b24348d875_b.jpg

Lets talk about food a bit starting with the Windjammer

31176052054_73389897cc_c.jpg

Loved the layout of stations and all the places you could enjoy a meal...outside, inside. have a look at the plaque below that is just on the reverse of the windjammer sign above. The food stations are in orange and all the different seating areas are nicely spread out all over. We never had a problem finding a place to sit for meals.

32016364125_27097652ea_c.jpg

more to come

They may not. My post was in response to the perception that there would be a fee involved.

Were there any excursions offered in San Juan the day of departure? We have a late afternoon flight and I don't see any excursions offered in San Juan through the website. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We enjoyed a walking tour the day we deported. Google, 'Flavors of San Juan'

it was a nice tour w/ plenty of time to board the ship!

Happy Cruising!

the pool tables are not free by the way. There is a charge to use them but I could not say how much (forgot sorry)

That would be new, I don't think we paid either time we used them in 2012 or 2014

Edited by BillOh

Thank you for taking the time to write this review with your great pictures.

We will be cruising on the Jewel out of San Juan on the same itinerary at the beginning of March. We haven't been on the Jewel before but have cruised out of San Juan a couple of times. Reading your review and seeing the photos is really getting us excited!

We are on the Jewel (opposite itinerary) in February. First time on a RC ship. Interested in hearing more about the "free" dining options. Also was the solarium roof ever opened up eg. on a sea day?

Love the pictures! Thanks for posting!

about to get into the dining stuff somewhat :) and no the solarium was never open ( not even the sea day ) Anyones guess as to why that was...maybe to save wear and tear on the mechanics of it.

glad you are enjoying. sorry for the breaks, been doing a lot of different travelling to family stuff for the holidays and I try to sneak a page in when i can but other guests where I was may find it rude :) plenty to come though