Overwhelmed deciding on Shore Excursions!

iamenu

In 1964 my family moved to Rome for a year, and we did it on a huge ship (for the time), the USS Independence. I haven't been on a cruise since...that changes this April. I am trying to select tour operators and am feeling completely overwhelmed. We will be in Naples, Rome, Livorno, and Cannes. I was able to book with the cruise line in Majorca, but I guess I got to it late and there are almost no options for these other ports.

I am worried about the provider's reliability, quality, and track record getting us back to the ship on time. I've tried to do some research, and am boggled now!:confused:

In Naples, I think we want to do a full day, half Pompeii, half Amalfi drive. Recommendations, anyone? I have no clue whatsoever about what to see in Rome and Florence. HELP!

Much thanks in advance!

Sounds like it is a little early for Rome and Florence recommendations. My suggestion is that you first get some ideas from looking through a tour book. We did the Amalfi Coast by water in the morning and then Pompeii in the afternoon. Here is a link to pictures from that excursion.

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/973

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/1076

If you lived in Rome for a year, surely you have some idea of what you want to do or see? And how to get around?

You can take the train from the port (Civitavecchia) into Rome and spend the day on your own -- we can help you with a plan if you give us some info on what you want to do.

Rome is about an hour and a half from port so you'll need to take that into consideration for what you want to see. Many use Rome In Limo for transfers and have great reviews.

The Vatican alone can take some time. If you include the Vatican Museum, then it's even more time. You can also go to the Colosseum, Pantheon, and the Forum. These would be my top choices. And if you haven't been before, I wouldn't plan on doing much else, especially if you need to get back to the ship.

In Florence you can see the Ufizzi Gallery (but tickets in advance and skip the line), the Duomo, Galleria dell'Academia (David) and the Ponte Vecchio.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you lived in Rome for a year, surely you have some idea of what you want to do or see? And how to get around?

You can take the train from the port (Civitavecchia) into Rome and spend the day on your own -- we can help you with a plan if you give us some info on what you want to do.

Cruisemom42, Thanks for your reply...I was 6 when I lived in Rome, and I have vague memories of wandering around inside the colosseum and walking up very narrow stairs in a dome in the Vatican. I also remember the catacombs...scary for a 6 year old! So I am open to seeing almost anything. I think what I really need is help finding a reliable tour provider. Once I have that I imagine I will just pick from their list of available tours.

In 1964 my family moved to Rome for a year, and we did it on a huge ship (for the time), the USS Independence. I haven't been on a cruise since...that changes this April. I am trying to select tour operators and am feeling completely overwhelmed. We will be in Naples, Rome, Livorno, and Cannes. I was able to book with the cruise line in Majorca, but I guess I got to it late and there are almost no options for these other ports.

I am worried about the provider's reliability, quality, and track record getting us back to the ship on time. I've tried to do some research, and am boggled now!:confused:

In Naples, I think we want to do a full day, half Pompeii, half Amalfi drive. Recommendations, anyone? I have no clue whatsoever about what to see in Rome and Florence. HELP!

Much thanks in advance!

I think I need to edit my question...I did a bad job of asking my real question. I think my first step needs to be getting some recommendations on good tour operators. I find myself getting mired down in all the options, but if I knew of some operators that were reliable I might be better able to choose from their offerings.

Thanks

Sounds like it is a little early for Rome and Florence recommendations. My suggestion is that you first get some ideas from looking through a tour book. We did the Amalfi Coast by water in the morning and then Pompeii in the afternoon. Here is a link to pictures from that excursion.

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/973

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/1076

Thanks...beautiful pictures. Did you take the ship's tour, or use a local tour guide? I vaguely remember driving the Amamfi coast as a child...actually I remember my grandmother crouching on the floor of the car hysterical because the road scared her, so now I kind of want to see what all the fuss was about!!

...In Florence you can see the Ufizzi Gallery (but tickets in advance and skip the line), the Duomo, Galleria dell'Academia (David) and the Ponte Vecchio. Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We spent a few days in Florence in early November prior to a drive down to Civitavecchia to start our transatlantic. General note: everybody in the world has heard of Florence. It is not just North Americans or Europeans on school holidays, it is everyone from everywhere, places whose calendar rhythms don't necessarily to our Western notion of when is the time to travel, and when is not. All of which is to say that even in April you will encounter crowds and long lines.

Two alternatives. A. Skip Florence, and instead go to Pisa and Lucca while in Livorno. Go back to Florence when you can spend at least 3 days. Or B. Get to Florence as early in the day as you can, don't get tied in with a formal excursion (ship-based or privately arranged.) Buy your Uffizzi ticket online ahead of time to avoid the long ticket line. But you will still have another long line to get in the door as everyone must go through the scanner, purses, camera bags etc through the x-ray. Study Rick Steve's Uffizzi guide ahead of time, follow his plan for moving through the gallery. You don't want to rush, but you do want to prioritize and use your time to see the most significant pieces. I would skip the Acedemia - mostly it is about David and that is hugely impressive but there are 2-3 reproductions around the city you can pass by. From the Ufizzi, walk along the Arno, enjoy the views, enjoy the Ponte Vecchio. Depending on your timing at this point, stop in the Duomo (or maybe just the baptistry), or one of the other magnificent churches.

Figure out how much time you are likely to have in the city and which places you are likely able to visit. Total up the per person cost of the entry fees. Then consider an on-line purchase of a Firenze Card. This is a three-day pass to everything and everywhere and it is pricey. But with the card you go to the front of the line and walk in (subject to security screening of course), no time spent in the details of paying.

Lovely city, don't try to do everything in one day but rather prioritize, plan how you will use your time, and enjoy the day!

I have also spent time in Rome and Naples. If you find that it stretches your budget to do the long trek from Livorno to Florence and the long trek from Civitavecchia to Rome and the long trek from Naples to Pompeii to Amalfi Coast, then again I would prioritize. My choice would be Florence first, then Naples (the pickpocket capital of the world), then Rome. Whatever you choose, relax, enjoy, and make plans to go back.

Stan

I suggest you simply spend some time reading these boards. Yes, it may seem overwhelming at first, but it's the best way to learn about the potential operators. Several of them have literally hundreds of recommendations going for them.

I can truthfully say that in more than 10 years of participation on these boards, I have not heard of one of the well recommended operators getting someone back late to the ship.

I cannot recommend any of them personally, as we are not allowed to do that unless we have actually used them. (I prefer to sightsee on my own.)

Thanks...beautiful pictures. Did you take the ship's tour, or use a local tour guide? I vaguely remember driving the Amamfi coast as a child...actually I remember my grandmother crouching on the floor of the car hysterical because the road scared her, so now I kind of want to see what all the fuss was about!!

We were in Naples two years in a row. The first time we took the ship's tour that resulted in those pictures. In the morning we went to Salerno and took a boat to Amalfi. After lunch we went to Pompeii. I know a lot of folks are downers when it comes to ship tours. In this case it was the perfect match for what we wanted to do. The next year we thought about going to Capri but chose to do the Amalfi drive (I did not drive). Here is a link to pictures from that trip.

https://markandkareneurope2013.shutterfly.com/pictures/717

I prefer to get around Italy on my own & I usually spend a substantial amount of time in Italy during each trip. There is so much to see in Rome & Florence - I would recommend perusing a guide book to see what strikes your fancy. The port of Civitavecchia is about an hour from Rome - I prefer taking the train into Rome. However, if you want a tour, I suggest that you post on your roll call for your sailing - you should be able to find like minded travelers wanting to share excursions. On this forum, there are several frequently mentioned tour operators from which to choose, all with excellent track records.

Likewise for Florence - Livorno is about 90 minutes from Florence. Although I don't usually visit Italy by cruise, when visiting via cruise ship (2014), we used Tuscany by Taxi (http://www.tuscanybytaxi.it/) and got a group of 8 together on our roll call. Very reliable & inexpensive but we did not opt for a guide - only a driver. In reading the Cruise Critic forum, I have never heard of any of the frequently mentioned independent operators failing to get their clients back to ship in time for sailing.

A "start" in determining what may be of personal interest to you might be to google the top must see sights in each city. For example, here is one sample for Florence:

http://goitaly.about.com/od/florenceitaly/tp/florence.htm

and one for Rome:

http://www.italylogue.com/featured-articles/top-10-things-to-do-in-rome.html

I did a tour with "can't be missed tours" out of Naples and was very happy with the service. We were able to do the Amalfi coast, Sorrento and Pompeii. I'd recommend it. They have a website if you want to check out the price and details.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Much thanks in advance!

I just finished booking four tours for four of us with Rome In Limo for the end of April and beginning of May. We used them in 2011 for three different tours and were very pleased with them so I have no worries using them again this trip. Jany is very responsive and helpful. Good luck with your planning.

WE did 12 day cruise with 5 stops in Italy in September , Livorno was my favorite tour , we had a great tour with Papillion , 1st we stopped in Pisa , then Florence where we had plenty of time saw David and also had a great lunch then we had visit and wine tasting at a organic winery outside of Florence, 10 hour trip, great driver in a new Mercedes van. For Rome I would also do Rome in Limo, best to have group of 6 to 8 for theses trips to cut cost, we had no problem getting others from roll call to join us, cost is approx. 80-100 per person. Papillion also picks up the museum tickets for you if you want