Lobster on Regal Princess

Rstamper

Agreed.

I suppose if you're not from New England, Canada or used to North American lobster you might like it. I have read that most lobsters used on cruise ships are rock lobsters. What most people think of as "Maine lobsters" are North American lobsters found from Canada to Maryland.

For my husband and I that can have it whenever we want without paying an arm and a leg for it we don't bother on a cruise, but for someone that doesn't live along the East Coast, I'm sure that they enjoy it.

Agree. New England, and Canada whole fresh caught and steamed lobsters were the best I've ever had. ��

Do you happen to know where the cruise ship rock lobster tails are sourced from? . FWIW, I try to avoid eating fish and shellfish sourced from Asia.

And their size seemed small. Maybe 3"-4", not much larger than the shrimp, and the texture, to me was, sort of mealy and lacking in flavor. That's just my opinion. YMMV.

On our recent cruise we saw this fellow sitting at the table next to ours order 4 lobster & shrimp entrees, and he gobbled them all in one sitting. He proclaimed to me that it was the "best lobster he ever had on a cruise." Go figure. :eek:

Happy cruising in 2017.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Agree. New England, and Canada whole fresh caught and steamed lobsters were the best I've ever had. ��

Do you happen to know where the cruise ship rock lobster tails are sourced from? . FWIW, I try to avoid eating fish and shellfish sourced from Asia.

And their size seemed small. Maybe 3"-4", not much larger than the shrimp, and the texture, to me was, sort of mealy and lacking in flavor. That's just my opinion. YMMV.

On our recent cruise we saw this fellow sitting at the table next to ours order 4 lobster & shrimp entrees, and he gobbled them all in one sitting. He proclaimed to me that it was the "best lobster he ever had on a cruise." Go figure. :eek:

Happy cruising in 2017.

Me too. I try to avoid any food sourced from Asia.

I don't, but wish I did.

You bring up a good point about size because, in New England anyway, they actually measure every lobster and it has to be above a certain size or they throw it back.

Thanks! You still live in NE (I left 24 years ago)- so you win! Cracked it is!

Lol, hey, you could be right. You know how every region of New England has it's own way of saying things. In my neck of the woods (Boston) we have a language unto ourselves. Tonic for soda, spuckie for a subtype of roll, carriage instead of a shopping cart or baby stroller, etc., etc., etc. ;)

The short, sweet and simple of it is if you do not live where you can get it fresh and often you have no way to compare it. For those of you who can have lobster anytime you want congratulations. For those of us who can not tell the difference we do not care. My 64 year old SIL has had the opportunity to eat a lobster for the first time in her life on a cruise two years ago loved the cruise ship lobster. To her it was great despite what anyone else says. She may never take another cruise and will never travel to the NE so she is happy with the xhance to at least to taste it one way or the other. It is like someone in the NE who never tasted true BBQ going to Chicago and eating it for the first time. Those from Texas will say it is horrible there but the one in Chicago could cate less.

I say enjoy what is in front of you and not worry about anything elsd.

Lets put it in perspective. If you live in the USA or Canada you can go to any decent Supermarket and buy excellent frozen cold water lobster tails...that would blow away what you get on Princess (or most other lines). The ship serves us warm water lobster tails that are generally overcooked and over salted. It is still a decent dinner option, but we would not consider it anything more than mediocre warm water lobster tail.

If you are cruising out of Port Everglades, and spend your precruise night at a hotel near 17th Street (i.e. Embassy Suites) we suggest walking over to Kelly's Landing for dinner. In that restaurant you can experience the best Maine lobster (flown in) for a very reasonable price (less then $25 for a 1 1/4 pounder). This is always our precruise dinner place (when going out of that port) and we know it will be the best seafood until we get back from the cruise.

Hank

The short, sweet and simple of it is if you do not live where you can get it fresh and often you have no way to compare it. For those of you who can have lobster anytime you want congratulations. For those of us who can not tell the difference we do not care. My 64 year old SIL has had the opportunity to eat a lobster for the first time in her life on a cruise two years ago loved the cruise ship lobster. To her it was great despite what anyone else says. She may never take another cruise and will never travel to the NE so she is happy with the xhance to at least to taste it one way or the other. It is like someone in the NE who never tasted true BBQ going to Chicago and eating it for the first time. Those from Texas will say it is horrible there but the one in Chicago could cate less.

This is also true. :) Good advice!

My 64 year old SIL has had the opportunity to eat a lobster for the first time in her life on a cruise two years ago loved the cruise ship lobster. To her it was great despite what anyone else says. She may never take another cruise and will never travel to the NE so she is happy with the xhance to at least to taste it one way or the other.

You know, you can have live lobster shipped overnight to her.

I live thousands of miles from cold water...

...there is a local fish market that will order in large lobster,

steam them, and have them ready for me to pick up.

Almost anyplace that you live you can find lobster that is flown in live. Do you live near a Red Lobster restaurant or another restaurant that has live lobster? It is kept live until it is cooked. A bit pricey perhaps but your statement that you do not have access to live lobster except in the NE is not correct.

DON

You know, you can have live lobster shipped overnight to her.

I live thousands of miles from cold water...

...there is a local fish market that will order in large lobster,

steam them, and have them ready for me to pick up.

Your right I could have it shipped to her at a ridiculous cost. Now imagine giving this woman a live lobster and asking her to cook it let alone take it put of the shipping container. Then you want a person to cook a lobster and have it taste like you are used to having in Maine. Not gonna happen. How about we send a beef brisket to someone in the Maine and have them cook it to taste like BBQ found in Texas. What do you think the chances are that either will get it done right the first time?

Edited by Potstech

Almost anyplace that you live you can find lobster that is flown in live. Do you live near a Red Lobster restaurant or another restaurant that has live lobster? It is kept live until it is cooked. A bit pricey perhaps but your statement that you do not have access to live lobster except in the NE is not correct.

DON

The nearest Red Lobster to them is 50 miles away. Nice try but not everyone lives in a big city area. There is not place within decent driving distance that serves leve Maine Lobster for a decent price like $25.00. Welcome to reality of living in the United States.

DON

No point in arguing with some people. Trust me on that one. (Waiting for the response, 1, 2, 3...)

Lets put it in perspective. If you live in the USA or Canada you can go to any decent Supermarket and buy excellent frozen cold water lobster tails...that would blow away what you get on Princess (or most other lines). The ship serves us warm water lobster tails that are generally overcooked and over salted. It is still a decent dinner option, but we would not consider it anything more than mediocre warm water lobster tail.

If you are cruising out of Port Everglades, and spend your precruise night at a hotel near 17th Street (i.e. Embassy Suites) we suggest walking over to Kelly's Landing for dinner. In that restaurant you can experience the best Maine lobster (flown in) for a very reasonable price (less then $25 for a 1 1/4 pounder). This is always our precruise dinner place (when going out of that port) and we know it will be the best seafood until we get back from the cruise.

Hank

Thanks.!

We will definitely check out Kelly's Landing per your recommendation on our next stay in Fort Lauderdsle pre'and post Panama Canal cruise in 2017.

Happy cruising in 2017!

Edited by Kingofcool1947

No point in arguing with some people. Trust me on that one. (Waiting for the response, 1, 2, 3...)

Ghee you learned to count that high. No point arguing when you have no response. Your insult to follow in 1,2,3,4....

Edited by Potstech

I think that is the result of freezing, and then over-cooking.

(The texture, not the size.)

I would much rather have something interesting on formal

night -- like Beef Wellington, and look for good lobster on

land.

Living in Maine and being a lobster dealer gives me a unique prospective and a little inside info. There was a big deal brokered between a lobster dealer and some cruise lines. It was my understanding that "Maine" lobster was going to replace the warm water lobster. I seldom eat the lobster on a cruise ship since I prefer to eat my lobster when they are a soft shell and steamed live.

For those wondering yup we do ship and have our own wharf.

Living in Maine and being a lobster dealer gives me a unique prospective and a little inside info. There was a big deal brokered between a lobster dealer and some cruise lines. It was my understanding that "Maine" lobster was going to replace the warm water lobster. I seldom eat the lobster on a cruise ship since I prefer to eat my lobster when they are a soft shell and steamed live.

For those wondering yup we do ship and have our own wharf.

Interesting. :eek:

So where do the warm water lobster tails served on Princess (and other cruise lines) come from? USA or other? Asia? India? Other third world countries?

When will they be replaced by "Maine" lobster?

The reason I ask is because I try to avoid eating too much shellfish and fish from Asia, and third world countries.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

In 2012 there was a limited amount purchased by several cruise lines - Now it is my understanding that there are talks to increase the presence of "Maine" lobster on cruise ships. I am sure it is a cost issue.

Can you answer:

So where does the warm water lobster tails served on Princess (and other cruise lines) come from? USA or other? Asia? India? Other third world countries?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Can you answer:

So where does the warm water lobster tails served on Princess (and other cruise lines) come from? USA or other? Asia? India? Other third world countries?

Found my answer on Google: re: warm water lobsters

"Warm water lobsters are found in warm waters of the Caribbean, Mediterranean, and the coast of Asia. They have a tail and a “head” (carapace) that looks similar to those of a cold water lobster, but warm water lobsters do not have claws, and instead have long spiny antennae. The only edible meat in a warm water lobster is found in the lobster’s tail.

Warm water lobsters are sometimes called spiny lobsters or rock lobsters, and since they are less expensive than the more desirable cold water lobster (the classic “Maine lobster”) their tails are often frozen and served simply as “lobster tail.” If you ever had a tough “lobster tail” served at a hotel banquet or on a mass market cruise ship, perhaps as part of a “Surf-and-Turf” platter, it was almost certainly the frozen tail of a warm water lobster, most probably a Caribbean lobster from the Bahamas or Honduras." (FWIW, I went and asked my trusted local fishmonger, who told me that for cruise ships much of the lobster tails and shrimp are sourced from Asia). :eek:

While often referred to as “lobster,” warm water lobsters are not closely related to the cold water Maine lobster. For example, while the warm water Spiny lobster and the cold water Maine lobster are both crustaceans and decapods, they are from of different genus, family, and species:

Happy sailing in 2017.

Edited by Kingofcool1947