Denied boarding -bevare if you hold a previus us visa

Tomtom70

I arrived on a flight from Germany to JFK. I got a WT stamp in the passport as well after using the kiosk. Has been like that for all my visits on the ESTA. I never get an exit stamp though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As was posted previously there is no physical exit control by CBT at US airports so no one leaving the US on a flight will get an exit stamp in their passport.

Edited by Charles4515

Anyway, these days, visitors entering with ESTA/VWP are not longer supposed to be issued with a paper I-94W form (everything is done electronically). I don't know why you still received one in October 2016.

You still get them at land borders (got one yesterday) but not flying in

As was posted previously there is no physical exit control by CBT at US airports so no one leaving the US on a flight will get an exit stamp in their passport.

Sorry Charles, whilst that might be true for US citizens, as a non-US citizen, I always pass through exit controls when I leave the US. I am not saying that I get an exit stamp but I certainly have to show a passport. When I left through DAB in 2005, I also had to give a thumb print. Leaving MCO in 2011 it was fingerprints and photograph too. The odd thing is that leaving through Puerto Rico last year we only remember showing passports.

Sorry Charles, whilst that might be true for US citizens, as a non-US citizen, I always pass through exit controls when I leave the US. I am not saying that I get an exit stamp but I certainly have to show a passport. When I left through DAB in 2005, I also had to give a thumb print. Leaving MCO in 2011 it was fingerprints and photograph too. The odd thing is that leaving through Puerto Rico last year we only remember showing passports.

I don't. (I'm British). The only exit process I've gone through in decades is Australia and Mexico.

You did not pass through exit controls. You might be confusing something that happened when you entered the U.S. The U.S. does not have exit controls. No one will have a passport stamped leaving the US.

You did not pass through exit controls. You might be confusing something that happened when you entered the U.S. The U.S. does not have exit controls. No one will have a passport stamped leaving the US.

As I said, I did not get a passport stamp but I am certainly not confused and did pass through a checkpoint and was processed as I already stated. At the time we could not understand why we would need to give fingerprints or photograph to leave a country. My partner keeps a diary of our trips and this occurrence was rated so unusual it made it into her diary for the day.

As I said, I did not get a passport stamp but I am certainly not confused and did pass through a checkpoint and was processed as I already stated. At the time we could not understand why we would need to give fingerprints or photograph to leave a country. My partner keeps a diary of our trips and this occurrence was rated so unusual it made it into her diary for the day.

With some googling I found out there was a trial program called US Visit departure kiosks at a few airports between 2006 and 2008 where they took photos and fingerprints. That is what you encountered. It was unusual. The trial program ended and those kiosks are no longer in operation.

So you are right that it happened and I am right there are no exit controls. Peace. [emoji3]

Edited by Charles4515

With some googling I found out there was a trial program called US Visit departure kiosks at a few airports between 2006 and 2008 where they took photos and fingerprints. That is what you encountered. It was unusual. The trial program ended and those kiosks are no longer in operation.

So you are right that it happened and I am right there are no exit controls. Peace. [emoji3]

I'll take the peace Charles as this really is not important. But, just for the record, my experience in Orlando (MCO) was in June 2011 and on 28th around 4.30 pm to be precise. I recall very well what happened as on this trip, our entry into the country did not go smoothly either as I was taken away at passport control for interrogation by who I imagine were CBP Officers. The exit was completely different and we remarked at the time how the control there really wanted to earn their pay, or words to that effect but not so polite!

Anyway, peace, goodwill to all men and a very Happy New Year to you.

I'll take the peace Charles as this really is not important. But, just for the record, my experience in Orlando (MCO) was in June 2011 and on 28th around 4.30 pm to be precise. I recall very well what happened as on this trip, our entry into the country did not go smoothly either as I was taken away at passport control for interrogation by who I imagine were CBP Officers. The exit was completely different and we remarked at the time how the control there really wanted to earn their pay, or words to that effect but not so polite!

Anyway, peace, goodwill to all men and a very Happy New Year to you.

Whatever date it was a trial. Or a random checkpoint. But I wouldn't be surprised if it or something like it were implemented given the incoming administrations stance on immigration and border control.

Coming back into the US a few weeks ago on a cruise two of my travel mates were subjected to a random agricultural search. That was the unusual in my experience. You never know what will happen.

Let us by all means celebrate every detail of each person's past experiences with US exit controls, but the bottom line is that no one here has any sort of exit stamp from the US in their current passport. Recording departures is a weak spot in the US immigration system, but it's a problem for you (the visitor), not for them. If things go wrong and your departure is not properly recorded for whatever reason, the onus is on you to provide evidence that you left the country in time. In the meantime, CBP is perfectly happy to assume you overstayed and deny future entry into the US (or to revoke your access to VWP/ESTA and make you apply for a visa).

And to protect themselves, carriers (airlines/cruise lines) apply rules that are at least as strict as what CBP requires. It's better for them to occasionally deny boarding incorrectly (which is what seems to have happened in the OP's case), than to risk boarding someone who gets denied entry upon arrival.

The only place where your passport is checked is by the airline. The airlines certainly collect passport information and depending upon where you are flying to might have to take your picture (had that on a flight to South America last year). They need that information to make sure that you can enter the country you are flying to.

The only other place is TSA (the security checks at the airport). Many use their passports for government ID there, though other types will be accepted.

Neither are immigration exit kiosks.

Edited by RDC1

I booked direct with NCL Continental Europe. So based in Germany ? I will definately go directly through them. I will also check with the local Customer Protection agencies here to see what help they can give if no sucess. Then of course I can also go to the credit card company and claim a reversal of transaction for not getting the merchendise paid for.
Tom - please keep us updated on this, I am very curious to hear if NCL does the right thing and issues a refund. And in regards to your luggage, what would have happened if you didn't stay in the USA on holiday, wonder if they would have shipped your kidnapped luggage home for you once your luggage returned from the cruise you weren't allowed to take?!!

These days I would not travel to the United States or Canada without a physical copy of my ESTA or ETA (Canadian equivalent) even though we are rarely asked for either.

I'm Canadian and am sailing on the Breakaway on Jan 15th/17 (in 11 days, YAY! :D ). I've never needed anything other than a passport when sailing from the US to the Caribbean but now I'm wondering about this ETA. I've never even heard of it. Will I need one and if so, how do I get one and how long does it take to get one? I have a Canadian passport (and I live in Canada) that doesn't expire until 2024 so I'm good there. I'm just a bit worried now because I've ever heard of a Canadian ETA and am not sure if I need one or not. The cruise is roundtrip NYC to the Caribbean if that matters. I don't want to have any unpleasant (and expensive) surprises at the pier when I check in. :eek: I'm sailing with my BF and am really excited!! :D Thanks!!

Canadians are exempt. As Americans are for Canada's ETA

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So I don't need one? I didn't think so because I've never even heard of an ETA and I've never needed anything other than a passport before but I thought I'd check and make sure (in case the rules had changed). It's better to be safe than sorry!! :D Thanks so much!! :D

No Canadians do not need to pre-apply for an ESTA. I wouldn't take the fact that you haven't heard about it as evidence you don't need it. A lot of Europeans haven't heard of it either. Most of the time they can apply at the airport but it is not instant for everyone and many miss their flights.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Tom - please keep us updated on this, I am very curious to hear if NCL does the right thing and issues a refund. And in regards to your luggage, what would have happened if you didn't stay in the USA on holiday, wonder if they would have shipped your kidnapped luggage home for you once your luggage returned from the cruise you weren't allowed to take?!!

I will....right now there is silence - and this response:

"Thank you for your email request.

Please note that all requests are processed in the order they were received. We aim to be in a position to respond to you within 28 days. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and understanding."

.........and yes: I received the "post cruise survey" ....hillarious !!!

I will....right now there is silence - and this response:

"Thank you for your email request.

Please note that all requests are processed in the order they were received. We aim to be in a position to respond to you within 28 days. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and understanding."

.........and yes: I received the "post cruise survey" ....hillarious !!!

What do they have 1 person dealing with questions and complaints for the whole fleet?

28 days. Yikes!

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

So finally an update from NCL Guest relations:

I did get a sincere apology for the entire incident and an assurance that they have spoken to the people involved and that they are updating their routines to take into account the fact that US immigration is now “paperless” and information is available online. They did mention that unfortunately they don’t have access to the US immigration web (seems strange as I was able to access it via the Wifi network in the departure hall….) and they would look at how to have this arranged.

Bottom line results: A sincere apology from NCL for the entire incident. A full refund of the entire cost of the cruise + 1200 EURO’s in vouchers for a future cruise.

So....first positive experience with NCL for me :)

I did get a sincere apology for the entire incident and an assurance that they have spoken to the people involved and that they are updating their routines to take into account the fact that US immigration is now “paperless” and information is available online. They did mention that unfortunately they don’t have access to the US immigration web (seems strange as I was able to access it via the Wifi network in the departure hall….) and they would look at how to have this arranged.

Bottom line results: A sincere apology from NCL for the entire incident. A full refund of the entire cost of the cruise + 1200 EURO’s in vouchers for a future cruise.

Well done and thank you for coming back to us with the outcome. The question that I'm sure a lot of us will be asking is, what about all your other expenses such as your return flights from Europe to the US? And what did you do with your time? Did you stay on and holiday in the States or return home immediately.

I bet any lawyer that might have got involved in this would have piled on the agony for NCL with added compensation for all the extras along with trauma, stress, etc. I'm sure you are just grateful for a far quicker result and your cruise fully refunded though.

Thank you for the update. Glad to hear that there was a positive resolution.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well done and thank you for coming back to us with the outcome. The question that I'm sure a lot of us will be asking is, what about all your other expenses such as your return flights from Europe to the US? And what did you do with your time? Did you stay on and holiday in the States or return home immediately.

I bet any lawyer that might have got involved in this would have piled on the agony for NCL with added compensation for all the extras along with trauma, stress, etc. I'm sure you are just grateful for a far quicker result and your cruise fully refunded though.

We stayed on in the US for the week and had a nice Florida vacation as an alternative instead.

In my email to NCL Guest Relations I made them aware that we had significant cost on Hotels and Rentalcar in Florida (not cheap during christmas - especially when booking last minute) - but as long as they would refund the cruisecost I would cover our "alternative" vacation cost.

I think that is fair enough.

Glad to hear your positive results. Hopefully as a result of you following up on this no one will denied boarding under similar circumstances.