Is Blu too "healthy" for us?

mafig

Thank you for clarifying this. We've only been on 2 cruise lines before X and have much less experience with cruising than most of the people posting here, so it was a little weird to be told we wouldn't be welcome in the MDR and we're expected to eat every dinner in our "assigned" dining room. People don't usually pay more in order to have limited choices, that just makes no sense. It was so weird I actually called X to verify dining policy, which I've never done because we have never worried about getting food on a cruise. If anything we are concerned with getting too much food on a cruise :D Glad to know we can happily try anything that appeals to us without taking anything away from anyone else.

One option you should consider is having dinner in the buffet. On our last two cruises, there were theme nights there. For instance, there was a German night but foods from the country. Mexican night... Those meals were better than those served in Blu those nights in my opinion.

If you are considering the MDR, please make sure you make contact them early in the day to avoid a long wait. Check the menus early in the day to see what the nightly offerings are. Then make your decision.

• 4 months later...
One option you should consider is having dinner in the buffet. On our last two cruises, there were theme nights there. For instance, there was a German night but foods from the country. Mexican night... Those meals were better than those served in Blu those nights in my opinion.

If you are considering the MDR, please make sure you make contact them early in the day to avoid a long wait. Check the menus early in the day to see what the nightly offerings are. Then make your decision.

I had noticed the sign about a Theme Nights in the Buffet and so will for sure give them a try. Great idea..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We try to eat healthy and maintain a healthy life style. Biking 20 miles a day plus in the summer and doing Beachbody workouts in the winter.

On Celebrity we never use the elevators but don't use the gym. We have always booked AQ for the "heathy" dining, don't have any deserts. Still gained 5 to 10 lbs. We did a varanda because of the cost difference, and honestly couldn't tell the difference in the entrees or food. Also had breakfast in the MDR, more choices and still the same food and dining experience.

I wouldn't choose Aqua for the healthy aspect but would take it if the price difference was reasonable for the extra perks, and my wife likes the shower panel. On a S class I think $30 to $35 extra per day pp may be worth it, on a M class maybe $20 and that is because there are no foot stools and the Persian Gardens is like a dungeon but you get a larger cabin compared to the varanda class. Never could figure out getting the Consierge Class when AQ is always within a few dollars.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

I'm the OP. We enjoyed it, but.....

there were times when we had a hard time finding a selection that appealed to us.

Missed hash browns for breakfast (although it was nice to have everything nice and hot), and corned beef hash (which my husband got in the dining room and said I didn't miss much). We never had prime rib on the menu for our sailing.

The rack of lamb, filet mignon and steak were good.

Since our last few cruises before this one on Celebrity had us unsatisfied with the MDR, we'll probably go with a Concierge or regular balcony and use the $$$ towards specialty restaurants. I'll miss the shower though.;) We may be getting to the point where we're "cruised out." However, we still look back on MSC Divina in the Yacht Club fondly, so maybe we'll book Seaside next and give Celebrity a break. Love the ships, the crew and the fellow passengers though.

Never could figure out getting the Consierge Class when AQ is always within a few dollars.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Not on cruises we take. Find that AQ is frequently $100 (total) per day more than CC. For that reason, we have avoided AQ for the most part since no way it is worth that kind of money. And worse, is the comparison to a verandah cabin, where AQ is sometimes $150 per day more.

Caveat: We never sail the Caribbean and our cruises are always 12+ days, which is why I quoted in $/day rather than total.

I'vealways avoided Aqua Class because of Blu. - ok

We usually eat healthy most of the year. However, when on a cruise we like tosplurge. For this reason we've avoided Aqua Class. I can just imagine my dhcomplaining if all he sees on the menu is a boneless, skinless, chicken breast. - no one wants to have a spouse complaining on a cruise, especially with thecost we all pay.

I should know better, but I've avoided even reading reviews on Aqua Class.

But now.....

We were looking at a Sky Suite on Sillouette, but it looks like the price isjust not going to go down.png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAAAEAAAABAQMAAAAl21bKAAAAA1BMVEUAAACnej3aAAAAAXRSTlMAQObYZgAAAApJREFUCNdjYAAAAAIAAeIhvDMAAAAASUVORK5CYII= Last year we really did not enjoy the maindining room on Reflection. Come to think of it, we didn't like it on the cruisebefore (Century) either (it was always great before).

So is Blu still a step above the main dining room? The portions? Not teeny,tiny, are they? Personally, I am not sure Blu is a step “above”but is “different”. I think Blu tries toexude a nicer atmosphere and quality service with the feeling of “clean food”.

I think Blu is not “healthy”food ……. But they try to be “healthier” food as opposed to the buffet or MDR, without heavy sauces, without too much added salt, etc.

I would certainly agreewith others who have said people could eat healthy or not healthy whichever dining venue they attend.

Also, those tables for two. They are right on top of each other, aren't they? Many are close together, others are more spread out.

Well, they're that way in the dining room too, so I guess I could live withthat.png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAAAEAAAABAQMAAAAl21bKAAAAA1BMVEUAAACnej3aAAAAAXRSTlMAQObYZgAAAApJREFUCNdjYAAAAAIAAeIhvDMAAAAASUVORK5CYII=png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAAAEAAAABAQMAAAAl21bKAAAAA1BMVEUAAACnej3aAAAAAXRSTlMAQObYZgAAAApJREFUCNdjYAAAAAIAAeIhvDMAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

After reading what youposted about yourself and your situation, I might suggest looking at a regular balcony room, and use the $$ you save compared to Aqua Class or Sky Suite andbook one of the Specialty Dining Packages and eat in one of the specialty restaurants every night.

Without knowing the specifics of your cruise, I bet the cost would be similar.

Just off of the Constellation. This as our 12th sailing

On Celebrity all Aqua Class because of Blu.

Food was great and plentiful. Each night the waiter

Surprised us with an additional appetizer and entree to share which was not on the menu.

Blu is anytime dining, mostly tables for two where you

can talk with the people next to you or not.

Food is great, service even better.

The only way you'll know is to try it.

Not on cruises we take. Find that AQ is frequently $100 (total) per day more than CC. For that reason, we have avoided AQ for the most part since no way it is worth that kind of money. And worse, is the comparison to a verandah cabin, where AQ is sometimes $150 per day more.

Caveat: We never sail the Caribbean and our cruises are always 12+ days, which is why I quoted in $/day rather than total.

That is too mucn and not worth it. We transferred from AQ to 1A veranda saving about $150 per day on a recent cruise. Most times the cabins are within a few dollars extra per day, and many times we would get two perks instead of one by booking AQ plus extra SBC.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Just got off Equinox sailing in Aqua Spa cabin. I was so disappointed that Blu no longer had their vegetarian menu as there was such a great selection on it - different every night. But Joe, our wonderful waiter, got us quite a few items from the main dining room. And I actually decided to try some meat for the first time in ages. It was filet mignon (served on two separate nights) and I thought I'd died and had gone to heaven. It was that delicious!! We had every dinner at Blu and breakfast and lunch at the great Aqua Spa cafe.

Love the short ribs in Blu and they are not healthy.

One of my favorites! And what do you mean they aren't healthy?? I think they become a health food when you have a nice glass of red wine with them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We tried Blu for one evening on the cruise that we just got off. All 4 of the entrees that we ordered for the 4 of us were mostly saucy and / or nothing healthy about it. I was served a very large lamb shank over a small portion of rice - I had asked the waiter to replace the polenta with rice. It had at most 2 tablespoons of rice which lined the bowl. I ate half the lamb shank which was alright in flavor, and as much of the rice which I could get off the bowl with my fork. I am still puzzled how Blu markets itself as "clean cuisine". My husband and I have to remind ourselves frequently no matter where we eat at, we need to let the wait staff know to ask the kitchen to have sauce on the side. Both Blu and Luminae pride themselves with service more so than the food. At Blu we had way too much attention and we were constantly interrupted - maybe they wanted to provide more attention as we were "visiting" the restaurant. We heard from some who were in Aqua class and dined at Blu that at the beginning of the week, they had complained about not having enough wait staff and they only added more wait staff towards the end of the first week. At Luminae, the attention was pretty close to perfect, they made sure we were not interrupted and yet they were on hand to take care of you.

We are booked on Aqua for our next 3 cruises and if there is enough of a price drop, we will upgrade to a sky suite, otherwise we will be happy to have Blu and Persian Garden. We paid for Persian Garden passes for the TA. When we bake the price of the passes into a regular balcony, the prices for Aqua over regular balcony is not too far off. We enjoyed the warm hard benches.

...and oh btw, I lost 2 lbs between the cruise and the subsequent land tour. Who says one cannot enjoy food on a cruise ship and watch your weight.

Edited by CEOofVacation

We tried Blu for the first time in October on the Constellation. We enjoyed the smaller room and service level. We were also worried about the food being too "healthy". You can see the menus from our cruise and photos of some of the food items on our website at this link: http://thepreismans.com/israel_med_menus.htm#blu

Then you can make your own mind up it you think it is for you or not. We enjoyed it, but are not willing to pay much more for it.

Wow! I wish someone did a write up like this on a recent Silhouette cruise. Great job

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app