Vilshofen to Prague

Pather

Hi. Considering taking a cruise extension to Prague for three days. Cruise line charges $780. Seems like my wife and I should be able to get transportation to Prague and three nights and a hotel for less than $1560. Maybe not? Difficult to go from Vilshofen to Prague? Any suggestions?

A quick search on the Deustch Hahn site shows you can travel from Vilshofen to Prague by train (with 2 changes, mind) for about €73 each. I know at least 1 of the river cruise lines (I think AMA) uses the Boscolo Prague as their hotel (we saw the sign in the lobby). I think you can get a room there for about the €200/night range. While I'm sure there are other options, this at least shows you that it can be done for less.

A quick search on the Deustch Hahn site shows you can travel from Vilshofen to Prague by train (with 2 changes, mind) for about €73 each. I know at least 1 of the river cruise lines (I think AMA) uses the Boscolo Prague as their hotel (we saw the sign in the lobby). I think you can get a room there for about the €200/night range. While I'm sure there are other options, this at least shows you that it can be done for less.

Check with AMA about just the transfer. We did that and stayed at the hotel AMA was using. Very easy and yes, you most likely can save quite a bit going on your own. You can also book any of the tours AMA is offering if there is space available.

AMA uses several hotels. When I did the cruise last year they used the Hilton and the Intercontinental

Tours are easy to do on your own. Go to the square and get a free walking tour. I like the men in the green umbrellas as they are native English speakers. I can also recommend a woman to take you in her home for a dinner cooking experience with free flowing conversation. We also went out to Kutna Hora which I would highly recommend to see the area and the Bone Chapel

Wow. Thanks everyone. Didn't expect such quick responses. I will talk with AMA. Transfer without hotel would work as we can pay for a hotel with points. I looked at a train and liked the price but it was six or seven hours with connections as you mentioned. Driving was three+ hours. Also thought of renting a car. Worth looking into? Will check Germany section. Also considering going on Scenic, Uniworld, or Tauck so we'll see how they handle it but know the price will be high on all. Thanks again!!

I contacted Ama. Can transfer to Prague for $149 each. Was going to use points at the Hilton but it's only €85 per night. So, transfer and three nights in Prague will be under $600 versus $1560 through Ama! Anyone have any negative comments about Ama or am I okay going with them? Thanks everyone!!

http://czechshuttle.com/shuttle-vilshofen-to-prague/ lists a private transfer from Vilshofen to Prague for up to 4 people at time of your choosing for 224 euro (currently US$234). That is cheaper than 2 people using ship transfers, and will deliver you anywhere in Prague.

DISCLAIMER: I have NOT used this service.

We stayed at the Hilton in Prague this summer, walking distance to the Jewish Quarter (amazing architecture!) and Old Town. We had a concierge level room in the Hilton which included breakfast and light dinner.

The huge Hilton hotel has a concierge desk with excursion options and we booked a hop-on-hop-off bus. I do not recommend it because it was a rickety and diesel smelly bus, but it got us up to the castle from which we walked down. The castle entrance fee was reduced for seniors! There are public trams going up to the castle.

We took a narrated boat ride on the river. The ride started underneath the Charles Bridge and included a small museum about the construction of the bridge. Prague is very crowded with tourists! Also, come prepared with your best walking shoes!

We've used AMA's transfers a few times and booked our own hotels. With the AMA transfer, it takes about a full day, including a stop, short tour and time for lunch mid way through the transfer. You get to the hotel late in the day - maybe 4:00 or 5:00 pm. Last year, we used a car service from Vilshofen to Prague. As noted, the cost was slightly less, it was just us, and we got to Prague at around noon, giving us more time in Prague. Either way is generally easy and reliable.

To the OP, yes I can recommend AMA. You will not be sorry you booked with them. FYI there are 2 Hiltons in Prague and the Hilton Old Town is the one that is within walking distance of the sights. Also near tram stops and the subway. The other one is a bit removed from the center of things.

Thanks again. Just realized the €86 was for a Marriott. Also have Hilton points so will check Hilton Old Town. Will also look at Czech shuttle. TA wants me to consider Avalon Panorama Suite. Same price as Ama. She is very high on Ama though. What do you all think?

Thanks again. Just realized the €86 was for a Marriott. Also have Hilton points so will check Hilton Old Town. Will also look at Czech shuttle. TA wants me to consider Avalon Panorama Suite. Same price as Ama. She is very high on Ama though. What do you all think?

I can't comment in Avalon because I have not cruised with them. Did want to mention that there is a Marriott across the street from the Hilton Old Town. I have not stayed there.

Good luck with your decision.

Ama has the double balconies which enables you to sit outside and enjoy. They also have the Chef's Table dining venue. But they don't have the beds facing the window. We are not laying in bed type of folks but I realize others enjoy lounging in bed. So it comes down to what is important to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks everyone. Cabins aside, is AMA generally considered a step up from Avalon? Our TA seems to think so and is encouraging us to go with AMA. Cabin not as important to us as the overall experience. We have heard great things about both lines. For the same price, we would get a French balcony cabin on AMA or a Panorama Suite on Avalon. The Panorama Suites do look nice. This board is certainly helping trip fall into place. Will take Czech Shuttle to Prague and stay in Hilton Old Town or look at Marriott across the street... whichever's points work best. Now just have to decide between AMA and Avalon but seems can't go wrong with either. Thanks again to all of you.

Have sailed Avalon in a Panorama Suite vs AMA have never sailed. 3+ yrs of research and based on River Boards on CC I would say AMA is a slightly higher category vs Avalon. But I would pick based on itinerary, ports and inclusions and dates that work for me. Would sail either in a heart beat.

I don't think you can go wrong with Uniworld or Scenic either. And many many posters here have loved their Viking experience.

Look for itinerary first, decide where you want to go. Then choose which of the above who sail that route. Now pick a couple date ranges that work, log onto each of the websites for the above river companies. Sign up for their special deals!!! Then start comparing companies and what their price actually covers... some are very inclusive and others not so much. Only Viking required FULL pmt almost immediately in order to get a Promo pricing, no one else does that. Though some may give a discount for payment in full up front or not using a credit card.

Have a great time planning!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JVilleGal

On a nice day I highly recommend taking the funicular up Petrin Hill. It is accessible by tram, and the funicular is a free transfer from the tram. There is a very nice park at the top of Petrin Hill and then a nice walk DOWNHILL past a number of religious establishments before arriving at the Castle. After spending time at the Castle (allow at least an hour, preferably more), you can continue walking DOWNHILL to Charles Bridge and back to Old Town. I have done this on nice days, and the only thing that was better was the week I spent in Prague in 1991 as the Russians military was leaving - people were incredibly happy and things were incredibly cheap - an unbeatable combination.

You may contact me about anything you want regarding Prague. Here is a link to my blog about Prague, our cooking lesson, etc. Once you finish the first page, at the bottom you can click on the next day: https://airlandandsea.wordpress.com/2015/07/08/prague-in-3-12-days/

We did Prague on our own and I really liked it that way. Everyone else in my group did the pre cruise with AMA and I felt like we did and saw so much more - particularly things we wanted to see and spend as much time as we wanted to.

You can email me at janeschwalm@gmail.com

Jane

Valley Girl again... would you recommend AMA? Thanks.

Yes, I would highly recommend AMA. After we did the Danube last year, we did the Rhone this year.

When we did Prague to Vilshofen, we did stop in Regensburg and had a tour there are well as lunch. I would recommend the Sausage Kitchen by the old stone bridge. I think it is the oldest continuing operated restaurant in Europe or the world! The Crusaders used to come this way and stop and eat here. You can eat in or outside along the river and by the bridge - not fancy but good.