Taxi to Port Everglades

CherryG

We hear these tales of Uber....but many are just not quite true. Uber will tell you the price in advance (just check your app) but prices can vary if they are using "surge" pricing which is clearly indicated in the app. In fact you can quickly get the price (and it is not an estimate) before you accept the ride and compare the various levels of Uber (different size cars or shares). With a metered taxi you never really know the actual price until the end of the ride..and then the driver expects a decent tip (no need to tip with Uber). A taxi can take you for a "ride" (the long way) and benefit....but Uber fares are set by the company....regardless of the route used by the driver.

As to the safety issue, there is reason to think that Uber is actually safer for a single. The reason is that there is a clear record of the passengers name and the drivers name...and the time of pick-up and drop. Sure, there are a few cases of drivers going nutz....but that also happens with a taxi. But when a single lady gets into a taxi...there is no real record of who got into which taxi. With Uber, the company knows the driver and the passenger (who can rate each other). A majority of the Uber drivers we have had around the USA and Europe told us they used to be taxi drivers before going to work for themselves (Uber drivers are essentially entrepreneurs).

We cannot speak for Lyft since we have a lot less experience with them...but have heard that their drivers make a little more money (which means passengers are paying more). And Lyft encourages tipping....wheras many Uber customers never tip. Personally, we tip our Uber driver if he/she helps us with our luggage.

As we previously mentioned, our Uber ride from the Ft Lauderdale Embassy Suites to the Port of Miami cost us exactly $33.68 (that is the total cost). A taxi can cost you more then double that price (depending on traffic). And even a shared shuttle service will usually be about $15-$20 per person...and often mean you have to stop at multiple pick-up locations...and multiple drop locations (within a port). When we used Uber at the Embassy Suites we walked out of the front door with our luggage and I opened my Uber app to get a car. The app immediately showed me a picture of my driver, and our waiting time (4 minutes). About 2 minutes later our driver gave me a call and asked exactly where we wanted him to pick us up (literally...which curb). Hard to beat. Meanwhile we saw over 100 people waiting for their shuttles...and lots waiting for taxis. It can be a real zoo at that hotel on a Sat or Sun morning....and using Uber made it easy.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

If someone ended up with a mini and needed a larger vehicle it's their own fault . You don't tell Uber you have a lot of luggage, it's not Siri or Alexa, it doesn't take your requests. You choose the size you need based upon your needs, Uber doesn't figure it out for you.

They could have UberXled it... plus every time I Uber there are zero surprises because I okay the driver/vehicle before pickup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by IndyDenise

Some folks just don't get it. Uber and Lyft are growing very fast (world wide) and only being slowed down by traditional taxi companies who simply cannot compete with their level of service and modern business model. We have had regular taxis try to rip us off (sometimes with success) all over the world! With Uber and Lyft that is not an issue.

Hank

We also prefer Uber most of the time.

We hear these tales of Uber....but many are just not quite true. Uber will tell you the price in advance (just check your app) but prices can vary if they are using "surge" pricing which is clearly indicated in the app. In fact you can quickly get the price (and it is not an estimate) before you accept the ride and compare the various levels of Uber (different size cars or shares). With a metered taxi you never really know the actual price until the end of the ride..and then the driver expects a decent tip (no need to tip with Uber). A taxi can take you for a "ride" (the long way) and benefit....but Uber fares are set by the company....regardless of the route used by the driver.

As to the safety issue, there is reason to think that Uber is actually safer for a single. The reason is that there is a clear record of the passengers name and the drivers name...and the time of pick-up and drop. Sure, there are a few cases of drivers going nutz....but that also happens with a taxi. But when a single lady gets into a taxi...there is no real record of who got into which taxi. With Uber, the company knows the driver and the passenger (who can rate each other). A majority of the Uber drivers we have had around the USA and Europe told us they used to be taxi drivers before going to work for themselves (Uber drivers are essentially entrepreneurs).

We cannot speak for Lyft since we have a lot less experience with them...but have heard that their drivers make a little more money (which means passengers are paying more). And Lyft encourages tipping....wheras many Uber customers never tip. Personally, we tip our Uber driver if he/she helps us with our luggage.

As we previously mentioned, our Uber ride from the Ft Lauderdale Embassy Suites to the Port of Miami cost us exactly $33.68 (that is the total cost). A taxi can cost you more then double that price (depending on traffic). And even a shared shuttle service will usually be about $15-$20 per person...and often mean you have to stop at multiple pick-up locations...and multiple drop locations (within a port). When we used Uber at the Embassy Suites we walked out of the front door with our luggage and I opened my Uber app to get a car. The app immediately showed me a picture of my driver, and our waiting time (4 minutes). About 2 minutes later our driver gave me a call and asked exactly where we wanted him to pick us up (literally...which curb). Hard to beat. Meanwhile we saw over 100 people waiting for their shuttles...and lots waiting for taxis. It can be a real zoo at that hotel on a Sat or Sun morning....and using Uber made it easy.

Hank

How cananyhone bugt med know which choice is best for me?

it is

Some folks just don't get it. Uber and Lyft are growing very fast (world wide) and only being slowed down by traditional taxi companies who simply cannot compete with their level of service and modern business model. We have had regular taxis try to rip us off (sometimes with success) all over the world! With Uber and Lyft that is not an issue.

Hank

SZOME people do not spend hours of their life chasing a small fare savings. Whatever the fare is, Thank fully, if it costss me a few dollars more, it will not change my life in any meaningfu lway. My sense of safety and peace of mind are more important to me.

Edited by sail7seas

...prices can vary if they are using "surge" pricing which is clearly indicated in the app ... Uber fares are set by the company....regardless of the route used by the driver ... Hank

Uber's "Surge Pricing" system is not used in all US cities. In fact, Uber only began testing SP in select US cities in Spring of this year. In August Uber started to roll out SP to more US cities and "expect to see it integrated more widely throughout late 2016, and into 2017". So you may or may not know exactly what your fare will be (as has been my experience) until the Uber driver arrives and tells you what it will be based on which route he/she will take ... hence the difference in fares I indicated in my earlier Post.

Spot on Post, s7s!!!

For my piece of mind, safety and comfort is why I Uber!

Small savings do not matter with me but I hate getting ripped off no matter what the amount. It makes me see red!!

To each his own. If someone doesn't want to Uber it's all good .. more Uber for me! [emoji41]

In my opinion, Uber is for the Millennials, etc., not us "old folks" who are resistant to changes like this.

I would be hesitant using Uber but would choose a taxi instead...and yet, I can recall some creepy taxi rides in Fort Lauderdale!

In my opinion, Uber is for the Millennials, etc., not us "old folks" who are resistant to changes like this.

I would be hesitant using Uber but would choose a taxi instead...and yet, I can recall some creepy taxi rides in Fort Lauderdale!

I think they all moonlight as race car drivers. :eek:

Once when we took a cab from the airport to the Marriott, the guy realized he'd gone the wrong way so zipped over a huge grassy and bumpy median strip. I thought he was going to flip over the car! Non English speaking so there was no talking to him.

I tend to agree with you regarding Uber. I would never use it even if it were free.

Mark down this date and time. :)

Just today on TV news I heard some cities are demanding more thorough investigation of Uber drivers similar to taxi drivers tryhing to get a medalllion.

I tend to agree with you regarding Uber. I would never use it even if it were free.

We wound up using Uber to get to the port two weeks ago. We used a taxi to get home. I couldn't get yellow cab to commit to a larger vehicle, but we could with UberXL. We went on a two week cruise in early 2014 with DSIL and DBIL. Since we're leaving from home, we don't pack light. We also had a couple cases of wine. I requested an SUV from the taxi company. They sent a regular car and had to call for a second vehicle. That added to our inconvenience and doubled our cost.

We haven't been "taken for a ride" from either Uber or the taxis. However, we know our way around Fort Lauderdale, so that's kind of a non issue.

Yellow Cab has an app and you can get a fare estimate before you order your taxi. I like the Uber app better, but the taxi app isn't terrible.

As a general rule, we always plot out our routes when we travel. Sometimes drivers are less familiar with routes than we are with our little paper maps. As the Boy Scouts say, "Be Prepared."

One needs have use a smart phgoe to USE APPS. i do not have ned or have use for a smart phone. I still use my 'stupid' phone and it serves my few nedss.oNLY ONE friend even know mycdell number. I never have the phone on and barely use it. I still have a land line in my house.

Edited by sail7seas

One needs have use a smart phgoe to USE APPS. i do not have ned or have use for a smart phone. I still use my 'stupid' phone and it serves my few nedss.oNLY ONE friend even know mycdell number. I never have the phone on and barely use it. I still have a land line in my house.

Me thinks we are both ole salts (no disrespect to Olesalt") and I hear you when it comes to Smartphones. Until 2 years ago we were content to have a prepaid old flip phone (DW still has one). But as a frequent international traveler I finally realized that a Smartphone is now an important component to International Travel. So now I have a nice unlocked iPhone and currently use T-Mobile. My phone works just about anywhere in the world (it simply connects in every port) for phone, text and data. Our family can reach us in any port or country by simply dialing our US phone number. If we have an airline problem in an airport, we can quickly deal with it on the phone rather then waiting in a long line (while many others use their phones to grab those last seats, flights, etc). When we fly on Delta our phone will tell us when our luggage is aboard...or if its left behind. When we drive our rental car in Europe, the Caribbean, or wherever, our phone becomes an excellent GPS and means I no longer have to drag my old Garmin Nuvi on trips...or pay to rent a GPS. If we happen to be somewhere where we want a photo I can simply use my phone to take the picture and immediately send it to family or friends via text or e-mail.

Sometimes we ole folks are slow to embrace new ideas and tricks. But these days, not having a Smartphone on trips is a huge negative...especially for those of us who still do lots of independent travel. And even in a few places where we might need to book a private tour or car/driver nearly anywhere in the world....we can quickly phone or text our driver with our status...and make last minute adjustments about meeting places.

Like you, we still have a land line in our home (I can use it for faxes) although DD keeps trying to convince us to give it up. And DW still has here trusty GoPhone prepaid flipphone (costs us about $10 a month for service). But even she now knows how to use our iPhone...and has become addicted to texting back and forth (anywhere in the world) with DD. And some things like Uber really do require a decent phone. On a rainy day in NYC, LA, Paris, etc. I can just open up my Uber app and have a car at my location in a few minutes....without having to go looking (in the rain) for a taxi. If we need a last minute reservation at a decent Paris restaurant I can take care of it with an app. If I get lost while walking in a strange city I can open up an App and instantly find my location, destination, and best route. And I must admit that when I am exercising (I walk miles whenever possible) it is nice to have music streaming in my ears (Pandora). Times have changed.

And these smartphones have other uses. We live in a climate where its cold in the winter and hot/humid in the summer. If we are walking to our car which is a few minutes away, a few clicks of my phone will start my car and set the temperature to whatever I please. And if I should happen to lose my car in a large parking lot...the phone will quickly pinpoint the location. Silly stuff...but darn nice.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

And these smartphones have other uses. We live in a climate where its cold in the winter and hot/humid in the summer. If we are walking to our car which is a few minutes away, a few clicks of my phone will start my car and set the temperature to whatever I please. And if I should happen to lose my car in a large parking lot...the phone will quickly pinpoint the location. Silly stuff...but darn nice.

Hank

Hank,

Which app will locate your car...or start it, for that matter? I have an iPhone as well.

Edited by innlady1

Once when we took a cab from the airport to the Marriott, the guy realized he'd gone the wrong way so zipped over a huge grassy and bumpy median strip. I thought he was going to flip over the car! Non English speaking so there was no talking to him.

I would have peed my pants AND thrown up.

Hank,

Which app will locate your car...or start it, for that matter? I have an iPhone as well.

My IPhone tells me where my car is parked and shows it on a map when I open it but I don't use an app and I haven't a clue why it does that. It just started after a recent IOS update.

As far as I can tell, the only connection between my phone and the car is that they are paired for Bluetooth for receiving hands free phone calls. Try asking Siri where your car is. That works for me too.

It also seems to detect patterns in my movements, as it will tell me how long it will take to get to the gym when I open it at a time of day when I usually head for the gym. Downright creepy sometimes---like it's alive.

As a previous poster pointed out, the phone is so much more than just a phone.

I use it as a phone book as well. It is quicker than trying to find a number in the real phone book which has smaller and smaller print every year.

I also love that I can use it to deposit cheques without leaving my house. My husband wouldn't believe me on that one until I gave him a demo.:D

My husband still has a stupid phone, which he has trouble with, but he loves my IPhone-----with me around to operate it, of course. :D

Edited by sapper1

Hank,

I think you have to have a car that has this technology from the manufacturer.

If you have a Tesla you can even summon it to you , or have it park itself in your garage ..as well as backing out of it. All from your phone.

Eventually the car could drive cross country to get to you ( though I bet that technology will never fly )

Isn't it wonderful, in the free world, we get to choose. What is best for one person may not be the b est choice for another. What is not good is for someone ro feel they needrto push their choice on others. IMO

[

I honestly do not get this . Not one person here is trying to push Uber on you or anyone else. What would be the reward for doing such a thing?

It's not like I am getting extra credit points with Uber if more people use them.

I like Uber. I have had great experiences with Uber in FLL. I like the cost, ease of use, pay through the app features. It works for me.

I hate taxis in FLL. I will never use one there again., or elsewhere now since I have found Uber.

I'm sorry if you think I'm trying to force Uber on you. What you use for public transportation really doesn't matter to me..I promise I'm not sitting here conjuring up ways to get you in a Uber car. [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

I honestly do not get this . Not one person here is trying to push Uber on you or anyone else. What would be the reward for doing such a thing?

It's not like I am getting extra credit points with Uber if more people use them.

I like Uber. I have had great experiences with Uber in FLL. I like the cost, ease of use, pay through the app features. It works for me.

I hate taxis in FLL. I will never use one there again., or elsewhere now since I have found Uber.

I'm sorry if you think I'm trying to force Uber on you. What you use for public transportation really doesn't matter to me..I promise I'm not sitting here conjuring up ways to get you in a Uber car. [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

I don't get it either. When I agreed with them about not trusting Uber, I was surprised at the tone of the reply" ?:confused:

I hear you on Fort Lauderdale taxi drivers. In addition to driving to our hotel like madmen, one actually dumped our luggage outside the Embassy Suites in the middle of all the arriving traffic and then sped off, leaving me to scramble to get our bags out of the way so they wouldn't be run over. The front desk said it is because the drivers are annoyed at getting such a short run from the airport, which means less of a fare for them. It is a common complaint that they hear from guests.

I was told that I can phone for the hotel shuttle which I will do in March. It may take longer but we will arrive in one piece and receive courteous treatment.

Edited by sapper1

I don't get it either. When I agreed with them about not trusting Uber, I was surprised at the tone of the reply" ?:confused:

I hear you on Fort Lauderdale taxi drivers. In addition to driving to our hotel like madmen, one actually dumped our luggage outside the Embassy Suites in the middle of all the arriving traffic and then sped off, leaving me to scramble to get our bags out of the way so they wouldn't be run over. The front desk said it is because the drivers are annoyed at getting such a short run from the airport, which means less of a fare for them. It is a common complaint that they hear from guests.

I was told that I can phone for the hotel shuttle which I will do in March. It may take longer but we will arrive in one piece and receive courteous treatment.

I have had awesome and great service from every shuttle I have used at Fort Lauderdale..twice at Embassy Suites, twice at a Comfort Inn and Suites, and twice at Hyatt Place.

I'm with you.. shuttle before taxi.

I'm going to add here.. we all have our own comfort levels and to belittle someone else's is wrong.

Me, I HATE Jamaica.. hated it since 2010 while on a cruise that stopped at Ocho Rios.

More so after staying there at Moon Palace in April 2016. ( free week at an all inclusive with friends so I went )

I don't feel safe in Jamaica and the peddling bothers me.

Some people love it, some people can't wait to go to there.

Not me, I will never step foot on Jamaican soil again.

I'm going to add here.. we all have our own comfort levels and to belittle someone else's is wrong.

Me, I HATE Jamaica.. hated it since 2010 while on a cruise that stopped at Ocho Rios.

More so after staying there at Moon Palace in April 2016. ( free week at an all inclusive with friends so I went )

I don't feel safe in Jamaica and the peddling bothers me.

Some people love it, some people can't wait to go to there.

Not me, I will never step foot on Jamaican soil again.

I could not agree more----on both points.

Last time in Jamaica we didn't get off the ship

That was one of several perplexing posts in this thread last night. Some people really struggle during the so-called festive season, and I think we need to be understanding of that.