Taxi to Port Everglades

CherryG

We hear these tales of Uber....but many are just not quite true. Uber will tell you the price in advance (just check your app) but prices can vary if they are using "surge" pricing which is clearly indicated in the app. In fact you can quickly get the price (and it is not an estimate) before you accept the ride and compare the various levels of Uber (different size cars or shares). With a metered taxi you never really know the actual price until the end of the ride..and then the driver expects a decent tip (no need to tip with Uber). A taxi can take you for a "ride" (the long way) and benefit....but Uber fares are set by the company....regardless of the route used by the driver.

As to the safety issue, there is reason to think that Uber is actually safer for a single. The reason is that there is a clear record of the passengers name and the drivers name...and the time of pick-up and drop. Sure, there are a few cases of drivers going nutz....but that also happens with a taxi. But when a single lady gets into a taxi...there is no real record of who got into which taxi. With Uber, the company knows the driver and the passenger (who can rate each other). A majority of the Uber drivers we have had around the USA and Europe told us they used to be taxi drivers before going to work for themselves (Uber drivers are essentially entrepreneurs).

We cannot speak for Lyft since we have a lot less experience with them...but have heard that their drivers make a little more money (which means passengers are paying more). And Lyft encourages tipping....wheras many Uber customers never tip. Personally, we tip our Uber driver if he/she helps us with our luggage.

As we previously mentioned, our Uber ride from the Ft Lauderdale Embassy Suites to the Port of Miami cost us exactly $33.68 (that is the total cost). A taxi can cost you more then double that price (depending on traffic). And even a shared shuttle service will usually be about $15-$20 per person...and often mean you have to stop at multiple pick-up locations...and multiple drop locations (within a port). When we used Uber at the Embassy Suites we walked out of the front door with our luggage and I opened my Uber app to get a car. The app immediately showed me a picture of my driver, and our waiting time (4 minutes). About 2 minutes later our driver gave me a call and asked exactly where we wanted him to pick us up (literally...which curb). Hard to beat. Meanwhile we saw over 100 people waiting for their shuttles...and lots waiting for taxis. It can be a real zoo at that hotel on a Sat or Sun morning....and using Uber made it easy.

Hank

I have found that the price quoted when requesting is not frequently the end price. And when the route has been changed by traffic problems, the price has gone up significantly. However, it is still much lower than a cab. Now that I think of it, the price is rarely what was quoted, but usually does not vary by too much.

I agree with you re the security. At least Uber has a record of the passenger, time of pickup, time of discharge, and the driver.

I'm impressed. How much of it was sitting on the passengers' laps?

I sat up front with a small bag under my legs. We all had carry ons in our laps. It was less than ideal, but it's a short jaunt to the port.

I have found that the price quoted when requesting is not frequently the end price. And when the route has been changed by traffic problems, the price has gone up significantly. However, it is still much lower than a cab. Now that I think of it, the price is rarely what was quoted, but usually does not vary by too much...

TG, thanks for confirming that your experiences have been the same as I reported in Posts 25 and 31 above.

Smooth sailing ...

• 5 months later...

We'll be going on our first cruise this fall. I read some posts in the beginning of thread that stated drivers may take you to other ships first. I assumed you would just go to a port entrance and go through a check in and them on to your ship. Is that not how it works?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We'll be going on our first cruise this fall. I read some posts in the beginning of thread that stated drivers may take you to other ships first. I assumed you would just go to a port entrance and go through a check in and them on to your ship. Is that not how it works?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Each ship is docked a different pier and you check in for your cruise at that pier. If you are taking a shuttle from a hotel the shuttles will stop at the various piers/ships depending on where each of the guest are going. If you take a cab they will take you directly to the pier for your ship. You drop off your checked luggage with the porters outside (with the luggage tags attached that you printed off from your booking on HAL) and then proceed into the terminal with your carry-on luggage. (You normally need the first page of your Express documents to get into the terminal) You will go through a screening process similar to airports, then fill out a form asking about illness then get in line to register and get your ship cards. You will then wait in the terminal until boarding (by groups) which normally starts about 11:30am. Enjoy your cruise with HAL:D.

My IPhone tells me where my car is parked and shows it on a map when I open it but I don't use an app and I haven't a clue why it does that. It just started after a recent IOS update.

As far as I can tell, the only connection between my phone and the car is that they are paired for Bluetooth for receiving hands free phone calls. Try asking Siri where your car is. That works for me too.

It also seems to detect patterns in my movements, as it will tell me how long it will take to get to the gym when I open it at a time of day when I usually head for the gym. Downright creepy sometimes---like it's alive.

As a previous poster pointed out, the phone is so much more than just a phone.

I use it as a phone book as well. It is quicker than trying to find a number in the real phone book which has smaller and smaller print every year.

I also love that I can use it to deposit cheques without leaving my house. My husband wouldn't believe me on that one until I gave him a demo.:D

My husband still has a stupid phone, which he has trouble with, but he loves my IPhone-----with me around to operate it, of course. :D

I,too, still have a stupid phone and have no t yet convinced myself any reason to switch. i don't turn that thing on more than once a month. It's fun to read the amazing things i-phones can do.

Edited by sail7seas

I need a smart phone just to communicate with my grandchildren, but mine is an Android, not an iPhone, although I think it does everything the iPhone does.

This past winter, my daughter's in laws spent several weeks in Florida without a car. They used Lyft all the time and were very happy with it. Since there hotel suite had a small kitchen, it took them to and from the supermarket. I myself, haven't tried either Uber or Lyft as of yet, so can't personally weigh in.

If I were trying to get to the ship, I would have the hotel arrange my taxi the evening before. Lots of people calling for taxis going to and from the ships at the same time.

I,too, still have a stupid phone and have no t yet convinced myself any reason to switch. i don't turn that thing on more than once a month. It's fun to read the amazing things i-phones can do.

Once upon a time, both DW and I also thought we had no use for Smart Phones. But, our DD kept yelling at us to get iPhones. When DD went to New Zealand on her honeymoon, she insisted we get an iPhone so we could use the "WhatsApp" app to text and talk to her when she was on the other side of the world. This is a free app that will work anywhere in the world where one has WiFi. So we got an iPhone which worked fine...and quickly realized that it was a necessity for us..since we are frequent world travelers. Our T-Mobile account lets us text and talk from nearly anywhere in Europe (and lots of places in Asia) at no extra charge. We also have airline Apps that let us track our luggage and make reservation changes without standing in long airport lines. And our phone also functions as our GPS system when we are driving in Europe...so we no longer need to drag along our Gamin system. And iPhones (and Android phones) generally have decent cameras for both photos and video that have come in quite handy.. We no longer bother to take a camera..since we can capture anything important on our phone. At this point (only 2 years later) we cannot imagine traveling anywhere without our iPhone.

Hank