Taxi to Port Everglades

CherryG

We're staying the night before a few miles away. The hotel has a shuttle, but last year it was horrible as they were so many people trying to get to the port and the driver went to 3 other ships before taking us to our HA ship. Does anyone have the name of a taxi company and an idea of the cost? I believe we have to pay the hotel about $15 each for the shuttle so thinking a taxi may be the way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We agree that you would be wise to simply use Uber or Lyft. The cost will generally be around $12 depending on your exact location. Ft Lauderdale taxis should only cost you a little more then Uber...but that is not always the case. We know Ft Lauderdale, having lived a few miles away in Plantation. The last time we used a taxi from the 17th Street Embassy Suites....our driver took us a long way (went nearly 2 miles out of our way) to the port because he figured we were naive out of towners. Once we got to the Port I told him I used to live in the area and he gave me a strange look. We did pay the fare....but gave him Zero tip (and I told him why).

Hank

We agree that you would be wise to simply use Uber or Lyft. The cost will generally be around $12 depending on your exact location. Ft Lauderdale taxis should only cost you a little more then Uber...but that is not always the case. We know Ft Lauderdale, having lived a few miles away in Plantation. The last time we used a taxi from the 17th Street Embassy Suites....our driver took us a long way (went nearly 2 miles out of our way) to the port because he figured we were naive out of towners. Once we got to the Port I told him I used to live in the area and he gave me a strange look. We did pay the fare....but gave him Zero tip (and I told him why).

Hank

The last time we stayed at a motel before a cruise, the motel shuttle took us to the canal to take the cruise up and down the waterway and see all the huge homes. We took a taxi back, which should have been a 5 minute ride. He took us 15 minutes around on the freeway for $25. We were upset, but what can you do? At least Uber or Lyft lets you know what the fare will be

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yellow Cab FLL: 954-777-7777. We never had to wait longer than 15 minutes from the time we called.

Three weeks ago at Hyatt Place 17th St. we had the front desk call for a Yellow cab and it never came. After 20-25 minutes the shuttle driver felt sorry for us and took us special.

It was 10 am on a Sunday.

Edited by DaveOKC

We stayed the Embassy Suites earlier this month both before and after a Princess cruise. We took the shuttle to the ship (at Pier 21). The price was originally going to be $9 per person, but the shuttle driver told us he'd take us for $15 for the two of us to fill it up. I knew that would be about the same as the cab fare. And it was the same when we went back to the hotel after the cruise.

Fortunately, we've been in Fort Lauderdale enough to know if a cab driver tries to pad the fare. There's a number to call to complain. I haven't had to, but once did not pay the full fare when a driver took us a couple of miles past our hotel--in spite of my telling him where he needed to turn. (It was a boutique hotel near the beach, not one of the large hotels on 17th St.)

IMO, taking a cab is much better than the hotel shuttle, especially if many ships in port as people get crazy. From most of the area hotels it is about $15 for a cab and there is no hassles as delivered right to your ship. As mentioned, the front desk can arrange what you need or you can call Uber or Lyft.

We have stayed many times at the Embassy Suites.

When we call to have our luggage taken down to the lobby, the a couple of the men there know us so well that they automatically call a taxi for us.

By the time we get downstairs, the taxi is there waiting there for us.

Never has been a problem.

I don't want to be crammed in a shuttle bus and making stops at other ships.

You can also pre order your Yellow Cab by calling 954-777-7777. That's what we do normally. Just be ready about 15 minutes early because the taxi is almost always early.

We used Uber XL a few weeks ago. It was fine. The reason for switching from the cab is that I made it a point to tell the dispatcher that we were 3 people with a lot of luggage. (No airline baggage fees since we're going from home. We don't have to pack remotely light.) Yellow Cab sent us a Prius. To the driver's credit, he got everything to fit.

We have stayed many times at the Embassy Suites.

When we call to have our luggage taken down to the lobby, the a couple of the men there know us so well that they automatically call a taxi for us.

By the time we get downstairs, the taxi is there waiting there for us.

Never has been a problem.

I don't want to be crammed in a shuttle bus and making stops at other ships.

There was a line of cabs waiting at the Embassy Suites. Must have been four of them just to the left of the front door. We were asked if we wanted a cab as soon as we walked outside. We were loaded and gone in three minutes.

We used the valet parking at the Embassy. Our car was parked, maybe 100 feet from the front door. Our bags were in our car and we were on the road within five minutes.

One of the things that worries about Uber is, outside of the company's rules, is the quality. Not all jurisdictions have oversight of Uber so I'd be worried about exactly who or what is going to show up. Earlier this year my neighbors across the street called Uber to get taken to the airport. They were going on a cruise and had a bit of luggag. They supposedly told Uber that they had a lot of luggage but what showed up was a Uber driver in a Mini Cooper! I took them to the airport. ;):)

We also prefer Uber most of the time.

I am a senior woman by myself and prefer getting in a taxi whn the door man sends me on my way..... I have read too many 'bad tales of uber exdperiences. to solo riders. Yes, I know, it could be the same with a tadxi bt somehow i never read about that as I do with Uber. and most cities do a careful check when providing a taxi licernse.

Edited by sail7seas

I am a senior woman by myself and prefer getting in a taxi whn the door man sends me on my way..... I have read too many 'bad tales of uber exdperiences. to solo riders. Yes, I know, it could be the same with a tadxi bt somehow i never read about that as I do with Uber. and most cities do a careful check when providing a taxi licernse.

Yes, I do understand your situation.

... At least Uber ... lets you know what the fare will be

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unless Uber operates differently in FLL than in other locations where I have used its services, the quoted "fares" are only estimates of what the fare will be, based on the mileage of the Uber-suggested route for the trip, with the actual fare being determined by the actual mileage of the route the driver takes.

For instance, I had a recent experience in Indianapolis where the Uber fare from my downtown hotel to a suburban restaurant was about $9 more than my return trip to the hotel. The second Uber driver explained that he seldom follows the Uber-suggested route because it is always longer than the route locals take.

Smooth sailing ...