Taxi to Port Everglades

CherryG

And if I should happen to lose my car in a large parking lot...the phone will quickly pinpoint the location. Silly stuff...but darn nice.

Hank

Thanks Hank! I really need to find more information on this particular app :) My new car is very similar to my previous car, and I have wasted more time than I care to admit, looking for the white car, when in fact it is the SILVER one I should be looking for :)

Have to add a couple of points:

First, I like taking the shuttles from the airport to the hotel (various ones). It usually is a bit of a wait (15 -20 minutes most of the time), but we do not have to worry about the taxi getting "lost". Plus it is FREE.

Second, last month we tried calling (hotel front desk did it) a taxi (Yellow) from Hyatt Place to the port, but the cab never showed so after 20 minutes we ended up on a shuttle (which was fine as cost about the same). I think the hotel to port shuttles have improved their "game" over the past few years.

Third, I recently upgraded from a dumb to smart phone and find it to be great for cruising. My service (Project Fi from Google) has very reasonable fees when out of the country (20 cents per minute on phone and normal $10 per Gigabyte on data). Of course it uses wifi first for data. Now when I get to a port I do not have to look around for wifi just to check my emails and some normal searches (this way I leave my large Ipad at home). Last cruise I used this cell data at two ports and paid less than 50 cents at each. While at home I use my wifi most of the time and my monthly bill with tax is about $25!

Edited by DaveOKC

I just read where a Uber driver foiled a human trafficking ring and saved a teen runaway from prostitution.

I don't think this had anything to do with Uber but to do with the character of the driver. He saw something wanky and did something about it.

It was nice seeing something positive about Uber in the news for a change ( once again I'm not saying the character of the driver was Ubers doing .. just like a bad driver who screened okay but is a psycho is their fault either)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was one of several perplexing posts in this thread last night. Some people really struggle during the so-called festive season, and I think we need to be understanding of that.

Thank you for reminding me of this, in my safe cocoon I often forget about those who find this a painful time.

The thing is, us older folks simply don't like change or progress sometimes - whether it be smart phones or Uber. But, like anything else we don't like, we shouldn't begrudge it when others embrace new things.

I had a flip phone that served my needs for so long and then one of the young 'uns in my family pushed me to get a smart phone and then showed me how to use it. A whole new world opened up.:D:) So I say, if you don't want to change, fine, but don't put down anyone else who does - but at least give it a try before dumping all over it.

Next on my list - Uber. Which is a bit difficult as Vancouver still won't allow them in, but by gosh we sure need some competition to the taxis here:(.

I'm going to add here.. we all have our own comfort levels and to belittle someone else's is wrong.

Me, I HATE Jamaica.. hated it since 2010 while on a cruise that stopped at Ocho Rios.

More so after staying there at Moon Palace in April 2016. ( free week at an all inclusive with friends so I went )

I don't feel safe in Jamaica and the peddling bothers me.

Some people love it, some people can't wait to go to there.

Not me, I will never step foot on Jamaican soil again.

I fullr agree about Jamaica. OchoRios ands Monegtego Bay are two plaxes I will never set foot off the ship. again.

The thing is, us older folks simply don't like change or progress sometimes - whether it be smart phones or Uber. But, like anything else we don't like, we shouldn't begrudge it when others embrace new things.

I had a flip phone that served my needs for so long and then one of the young 'uns in my family pushed me to get a smart phone and then showed me how to use it. A whole new world opened up.:D:) So I say, if you don't want to change, fine, but don't put down anyone else who does - but at least give it a try before dumping all over it.

Next on my list - Uber. Which is a bit difficult as Vancouver still won't allow them in, but by gosh we sure need some competition to the taxis here:(.

You contradic t yourself. You say to

not put down others while you busily engage yourself time and again, puttting posters down. If if is okay fo ryou to put me down, it is okay fo r me and others to do the same. Pracitice what you breach. Sigh. Teach by example. :)

Also, us older folks all have difffferent lives, different needs and respnsibilities and one size does not fit all. A little sensib ility might indicate that most of us know what works best for us individually. Instead of being so forcrefujl and crttical, try keeping in mind, you don't know the needs of anyone in the way you know your own needs

Edited by sail7seas

I guess I am confused and I would appreciate it if someone could explain it to me.

I haven't seen where Lizzie has put down anyone on this thread. If I have missed something I apologize.

I actually have learned a lot from this thread .. and the reasons we all have different opinions ( cell phones, comfort level, past experience)

I just haven't seen any put downs , insults, etc by Lizzie and others toward the anti Uber faction.

And I am in the firm stance that just because someone insults me ( or I think they have ) does not make me the better person when I insult back.

I'm not saying I will "take it" but I will defend my opinions in a fair and reasonable tone.

It's a message board filled with people that love cruising.. filled with many personalities.. it should be fun to learn from each other. It should be fun to debate pros and cons ., if someone does not agree with me it is not personal and I don't take issue .

For some real insults check out some Carnival threads.. the word filter does not apply. [emoji12]

Heaven to Betsy it's the freakin election all over again. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji12][emoji12]

Edited by IndyDenise

I guess I am confused and I would appreciate it if someone could explain it to me.

I haven't seen where Lizzie has put down anyone on this thread. If I have missed something I apologize.

I actually have learned a lot from this thread .. and the reasons we all have different opinions ( cell phones, comfort level, past experience)

I just haven't seen any put downs , insults, etc by Lizzie and others toward the anti Uber faction.

And I am in the firm stance that just because someone insults me ( or I think they have ) does not make me the better person when I insult back.

I'm not saying I will "take it" but I will defend my opinions in a fair and reasonable tone.

It's a message board filled with people that love cruising.. filled with many personalities.. it should be fun to learn from each other. It should be fun to debate pros and cons ., if someone does not agree with me it is not personal and I don't take issue .

For some real insults check out some Carnival threads.. the word filter does not apply. [emoji12]

Heaven to Betsy it's the freakin election all over again. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji12][emoji12]

It's just very sad.

Denise I did not see your post until after I finisshed typing mine.

Too late for me to edit.

I tried tro edit the trypos and correect Practrice what you 'preacxh I wrote breach) but I think most figured that out.

Edited by sail7seas

Agreed. I have read food for thought from a variety of points of view, and am happy for the opportunity to consider things I haven't thought of.

I have not read "putdowns, insults, etc. ..." as you put it, either.

Denise I did not see your post until after I finisshed typing mine.

Too late for me to edit.

I tried tro edit the trypos and correect Practrice what you 'preacxh I wrote breach) but I think most figured that out.

No need to explain. I didn't even process breach as breach but preach! I didn't even see it as a typo .. my mind autocorrected it!

So, it's New Years Eve ( and my 25th wedding anniversary, happy anniversary to me! Lol) .

If you over indulge this evening how are you getting home?

1) you are driving ( have fun in jail)

2) taxi

3) Uber/Lyft

4) designated driver

5) walking

6) horseback

7) shuttle

8) broomstick

Me I'm going for #8 and trying out my new O Cedar!

So, it's New Years Eve ( and my 25th wedding anniversary, happy anniversary to me! Lol) .

2) taxi

3) Uber/Lyft

4) designated driver

5) walking

6) horseback

7) shuttle

8) broomstick

Good one!:) Happy New Year all and let's be careful out there tonite

Thoughtful post, IndyDenise. Thank you. I, too, haven't seen where Lizzie has put anyone down.

As far as smartphones, Uber, and other new technology goes, I'm of the opinion that trying new technology keeps us young...or at least younger than if we didn't give it a whirl.

We have to keep up...texting is how I communicate with my kids and grandkids. It is, after all, almost 2017. [emoji7][emoji8][emoji173]

Edited by innlady1

Good one!:) Happy New Year all and let's be careful out there tonite

IndyDiane....

We have moved to an over 55 and are going to the party at our clubhouse. We're good. Happy Anniversary to you! [emoji175]

Edited by innlady1

2) taxi

3) Uber/Lyft

4) designated driver

5) walking

6) horseback

7) shuttle

8) broomstick

I'm sure I should opt for #8 too;) but our plans are open right now, however, if we do go out I will be #4.

Happy New Year to you and all CC-ers!

zHappy Anniversary, Denise. Have aa great evening. And good advcice for none of us to over indulge and cerrainly to not drink/drive. I may eat too much but I don't drink too much.

Happy,, Healthy New Year to all.

Edited by sail7seas

I'm sure I should opt for #8 too;) but our plans are open right now, however, if we do go out I will be #4.

Happy New Year to you and all CC-ers!

I'll opt for #4, too. As we'll drive to the Clubhouse here...too long a walk late at night. DH is my Designated Driver!

Hank,

Which app will locate your car...or start it, for that matter? I have an iPhone as well.

We have a Hyundai Genesis with all the bells and whistles including their proprietary "Bluelink" system. Our iPhone has the Bluelink app which lets us do quite a few things remotely....including remote starting, remote locking/unlocking, remotely setting the car temperature, location stuff, etc. Its more then we need or want....but at times it is kind of fun. The darn system even sends me reports about my cars mechanical system which is ridiculous. The only thing we would like to add is the ability to summon our car and have it drive itself to our location. But I guess that will not happen until next year's model.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner