Maho beach

pumpkin228

One or two flights will be plenty. They are not usually in the early morning...more like mid-afternoon.

You can google St. Maarteen airport..and see which airlines are common....and look up flights for your dates!

When we were there a few years ago, there were tons of little planes coming in to the airport. We saw a few larger jets as well. We did get to see the large KLM come in as well (which it no longer does).

It was definitely an experience. How many you want to watch depends on how much you like planes. If we ever decide to stay in St. Maarten, I already have our resort picked out -- the adult-only one that overlooks Maho Beach. It will be the ultimate vacation for my husband, who loves planes.

Just be careful if you notice a large plane getting ready to take off. YouTube it and you'll see what I mean. We took a boat trip around the island and were a good distance away in the water and still about got blown over from the blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are the flights in and out of the airport pretty regular? We want to go watch the planes but don't want to waste time if there aren't a bunch of flights in/out! Sent from my iPad using Forums

Planes landing are continuous. Mostly smaller commuter planes. We took the NCL transfer to the beach and parked ourselves at one of the smaller food places. And were dumb enough to stand on the beach behind the departing KLM 747 (which made its final flight a few months ago). There are periodic jets (737 and 320s) from the larger airlines like the ones in the pictures above.

They have a sign on the beach that has the daily arrivals. The planes land regularly in all shapes and sizes. The highlight of the day is the Air France jumbo jet. But the crowd at the beach has fun with the planes taking off. If you line up on the beach or by the wall of the airport when a big plane takes off, it knocks people down and into the water. Here is a video I took of Air France landing in 2013 while cruising the Epic.

Are the flights in and out of the airport pretty regular? We want to go watch the planes but don't want to waste time if there aren't a bunch of flights in/out!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, pumpkin, punkin here!;). Yes, Sunset Bar and Grill is the place to be, not on the beach with all the idiots. The bar starts filling up fast around lunchtime. As noted, they have a board in the bar with all the incoming flights posted. You may also be able to access that from their website. We staked out a table on the rails with a good view down the beach and out over the water so we could spot the planes in the distance. During a takeoff, see the fools hang from the fence mere feet from the business end of a jet and then get blown off the fence, and sand, cameras, and small children blown from the beach into the water.

We took a taxi out there, and there are lots of them hanging around ready to take people back to town or cruise dock. We did get to see the big KLM, but maybe they have discontinued since then? But saw many planes, of all different sizes, all fun to see up close and personal.

Edited by punkincc