Triumph cruise review

AmR87

The good the bad and the ugly

I am recently off the triumph-the new years eve cruise. I wanted to do a short and quick overview as I utterly enjoy reviews myself.

This was my husband's and Is sixth cruise. Our second with carnival. I am 29 and my husband is 34 for age reference.

The good

Bar service was on point during the day. We were always served quickly and efficiently. Even when sitting on the deck, I was asked every 15 minutes or so if I wanted a drink.

Employees always referred to me by name. I thought it was a nice touch.

Our waiter was Elmer in the Paris upper late dining. We were supposed to be at a table for 8 but we were by ourselves most nights. Service from him was fabulous and his team was friendly and provided great meals.

The chefs did a great job with my gluten free needs. They even made me gluten free lasagna. Amazing.

Guys burgers. Need I say more?

The bad

I knew about the 5 minute wait for the cheers program. I was under the impression that the limit was for alcoholic drinks. It is not. It is for every drink. I like having water along wiht my drinks, so it was more of a nuisance than anything.

The buffet... This was one of the worst I've seen since cruising. Terrible set up, long lines, and little choices.

Okay, long lines in general. Elmer told us they were at full capacity and I could definitely tell.

My room steward gave me presents for My birthday. What a nice gesture. However, my spa gift card expired the day he gave it to me. We had nighttime service, so I got it after it had expired. He also gave me a free photo. All of photos were 6 by 9. The coupon was for 5 x 7. But don't worry, I could just pay the difference. Bait and switch much...

The ugly

Only two things here.

We only saw our room steward once. This was to get us to fill out our preference form. I felt he only made the bed each night. He never left us any fun times of anything. Sad face.

There was a very cranky coffee shop employee. She made my order incorrect and when she gave it to me she realized it was wrong. She pulled it back and then yelled why didn't you say it was wrong???? I said it is not a big deal, I'm happy with anything. She again yelled you said nothing!! I felt like it was my fault she messed up the order and then she proceeded to yell at me. I guess one cranky worker is inevitable at some point.

Other than that, any questions, just ask.

The chefs did a great job with my gluten free needs. They even made me gluten free lasagna. Amazing.

Guys burgers. Need I say more?

Other than that, any questions, just ask.

Please tell me more about this gluten free lasagna. Is this something that was on the main dining room menu? Photo?

Did you get a gluten free bun at Guy's ? Any cross contamination issues to deal with there?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi,

Did you end up getting the fun times from somewhere else? If yes, and you saved, can you scan/post.

TY.

No, I ended up doing the hub app after a few days. I still prefer paper to electronic reading though.

Sorry your cruise did not live up to your expectation. Thank you for your honest observation.

Sorry to have implied it didn't. I always have a blast on vacations. It is a vacation after all. I just want others to see my honesty and how it's not all flowers and roses. Although what vacation is? ;)

So there's a little back story here.

On my last carnival cruise my waiter would say to pick anything and they will make it gluten free. I was always too scared to do this because I didn't want to play games with my disease. I always went with safe options, like chicken that I knew wasn't hard to ensure that it was gluten free.

Well this time, my husband was kept saying, just ask. You never know unless you try! So I ordered a gf lasagna the night before. My waiter this time said he was unsure but he would put the order in. He also had me pick a back up option too, so I picked chicken picatta.

To my surprise they were both brought out! The lasagna was more of layered spaghetti with all the fillings of the lasagna. My husband had the actual lasagna and he said mine tasted just as good. I'm missing it now just thinking about it.

No pictures unfortunately.

Absolutely no problems with guys. I think I ate a burger there everyday. :):)

Please tell me more about this gluten free lasagna. Is this something that was on the main dining room menu? Photo?

Did you get a gluten free bun at Guy's ? Any cross contamination issues to deal with there?

Thanks

Hi,

I agree that the lines on the Triumph were the worst we have ever experienced on a Carnival ship!

On the first night if you didn't get a Fun Times I'd have looked for the steward and asked him where it was?

We were on board the first week of December and got one every night. We always saw our cabin steward around in the hallway so if we needed anything we asked him for it.

I am glad your gluten free needs were met!

We have enjoyed other Carnival ships but I wouldn't sail on the Triumph again!

So there's a little back story here.

On my last carnival cruise my waiter would say to pick anything and they will make it gluten free. I was always too scared to do this because I didn't want to play games with my disease. I always went with safe options, like chicken that I knew wasn't hard to ensure that it was gluten free.

This was EXACTLY my line of thinking on my last cruise. I didn't really try to get them to modify something that might be a challenge. I just chose safe stuff that I know was already GF or very easy to make it that way. However, next time I am going to do what you did. I'm definitely going to get the GF lasagna.

How is the gluten free bun at guys? Acceptable I am guessing since you had it multiple times. :)

On the missing fun times deal...I've never not gotten one...but they seem to always have them at the coffee bar. I'm not sure if they have them the night before or just the day of...but they have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! My friend was just off her in December and didn't have this type of sub-par service. I was on her a long time ago for 21 days,,,Journeys b2b. It was so awesome.

Anyway, We sail end of this month, as I turn diamond. I sure hope they are back up to snuff by then.

The good the bad and the ugly

I knew about the 5 minute wait for the cheers program. I was under the impression that the limit was for alcoholic drinks. It is not. It is for every drink. I like having water along wiht my drinks, so it was more of a nuisance than anything.

We were on the same cruise and the one before yours and never had a problem ordering non alcoholic drinks in less than 5 minute intervals. In fact, several times I would get specialty coffee's for both my husband and me at the same time. I also ordered coffee and went straight over to the Alchemy bar and ordered and alcoholic drink. I asked about it and Filipe said as long as they weren't two alcoholic drinks it didn't matter. I guess it was all according to who you asked.

We were on the same cruise and the one before yours and never had a problem ordering non alcoholic drinks in less than 5 minute intervals. In fact, several times I would get specialty coffee's for both my husband and me at the same time. I also ordered coffee and went straight over to the Alchemy bar and ordered and alcoholic drink. I asked about it and Filipe said as long as they weren't two alcoholic drinks it didn't matter. I guess it was all according to who you asked.

We always look for and stay with bartenders who are not too strict. They admit that it is difficult for them to track the order time span when the bar is easy.

The lady at the coffee bar is kinda... Italian. She would come off as rude but not actually mean it. She is nice enough, but it's easy to take it as being rude.

I promise she didn't mean to imply anything negative. We had a similar situation with her back in November but after a few trips to the coffee bar she warmed up and was really friendly.

I'm guessing this wasn't Yasinee you encountered at the coffee shop. She was the barista on our December 19 Triumph sailing. She was always smiling and friendly.

The lady at the coffee bar is kinda... Italian. She would come off as rude but not actually mean it. She is nice enough, but it's easy to take it as being rude.

I promise she didn't mean to imply anything negative. We had a similar situation with her back in November but after a few trips to the coffee bar she warmed up and was really friendly.

There was a very cranky coffee shop employee. She made my order incorrect and when she gave it to me she realized it was wrong. She pulled it back and then yelled why didn't you say it was wrong???? I said it is not a big deal, I'm happy with anything. She again yelled you said nothing!! I felt like it was my fault she messed up the order and then she proceeded to yell at me. I guess one cranky worker is inevitable at some point.

I think I had problems with the same lady on my September cruise. She was not a nice person.

I think I had problems with the same lady on my September cruise. She was not a nice person.

We had problems with one of the baristas on our cruise too. It wasn't Yasinee. She was great. This one kept making the wrong coffee even after we would tell her and then she would insist that mocha latte was the same as a mochaccino.