Get ready for Ocean Medallion Class™

IECalCruiser

Carnival will no longer use key cards, they are being replaced with electronic medallions that are programmable, and you can be tracked, Yay!

http://www.uniglobecarefreetravel.com/view-vacation.html?id=carnival-s-ocean-medallion-streamlines-guest-experience

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO tgwabd: This is not necessarily a good thing. Being tracked is not necessarily good either.

As someone who has a fob with me everywhere at work to get into buildings and offices, this seems normal. And my fobs are used for purchases also at our cafeteria/cafe.

Edited by Coral

I like having the card. It can go in my wallet my pocket. It is flat.They glean enough information about our habits for marketing purposes from the card. The medallion is ,,, I think,,, coming from the corporate world such as eTokens to access computers. Opening your room door as you walk by would not be an issue if it locks after 20 seconds but it is a question to be answered. It will be easily lost if not on your wrist, which I only would not want. Of course companies will market it as this be all end all but it is just another gadget the will have issues.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

Carnival will no longer use key cards, they are being replaced with electronic medallions that are programmable, and you can be tracked, Yay!

http://www.uniglobecarefreetravel.com/view-vacation.html?id=carnival-s-ocean-medallion-streamlines-guest-experience

They'll look great on the ladies wrist during formal night with all her jewelry and formal gown, NOT! Marriott has implemented these in their Vacation Resorts and they are a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As someone who has a fob with me everywhere at work to get into buildings and offices, this seems normal. And my fobs are used for purchases also at our cafeteria/cafe.

Well, that is great for you. You will now go on your cruise and it will be just like being at work. Progress is amazing, isn't it???

The only fob I carry around with me is my over sized nose. I sure don't need to be tethered to some electronic gizmo to enjoy my cruise. I guess age does have it's advantages - freedom from the constant reliance on technology. I have done quite well for over 60 years without it. I think I can survive another cruise without some gimmicky doodad I have to worry about the entire time.

Edited by sloopsailor

The only fob I carry around with me is my over sized nose. I sure don't need to be tethered to some electronic gizmo to enjoy my cruise. I guess age does have it's advantages - freedom from the constant reliance on technology. I have done quite well for over 60 years without it. I think I can survive another cruise without some gimmicky doodad I have to worry about the entire time.

Is carrying around something the size of a quarter really that much more difficult than carrying around a cruise card?

If you bothered to read the article, it will be on three Princess ships over the next year and a half. Not on Carnival.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I read the article, Carnival owns Princess.

If you bothered to read the article, it will be on three Princess ships over the next year and a half. Not on Carnival.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

And apparently those ships will be the prototypes. And if it doesn't work out:

Whether anticipating guests' needs will feel useful or creepy remains to be seen. Those who might be spooked don't have to use the medallion or can limit how much they want to participate, Carnival CEO Arnold Donald said.

"In the end, the guests will tell us," Donald told The Associated Press. "If it doesn't (resonate), it's back to the drawing board."

The article quoted is on one of the other threads about this subject here on CC.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2438318

Your first post is such hyperbole. Yes, Carnival Corp owns Princess but the medallions are only on Princess. It will be a slow roll out and key cards will still be available. So you might have read the article but I'm doubting you comprehended it with what you posted.

Must have missed where Key cards are still available in the article?

Your first post is such hyperbole. Yes, Carnival Corp owns Princess but the medallions are only on Princess. It will be a slow roll out and key cards will still be available. So you might have read the article but I'm doubting you comprehended it with what you posted.

It was on the Carnival stock news and it was about one of the companies (Princess) that Carnival owns, it is still Carnival that made the decision, do you comprehend that.

Read the article that is quoted that started the thread link shown in post #17 above.

I read the OP's article but did not read the Post#17 article, sorry. However in that article it doesn't really say they can still use the key cards, have to assume. Just have to see how this rolls out?

I read the OP's article but did not read the Post#17 article, sorry. However in that article it doesn't really say they can still use the key cards, have to assume. Just have to see how this rolls out?

On princess's website it says they can be totally disabled. So I'm assuming you have to get into your room somehow.

Maybe no key card, however, it would appear that the medallion use can be limited to only opening the cabin door and nothing else.

Whether anticipating guests' needs will feel useful or creepy remains to be seen. Those who might be spooked don't have to use the medallion or can limit how much they want to participate, Carnival CEO Arnold Donald said.

Edited by ar1950

What else would they use?

True but at some point they will have to make a decision and I can't see two options, either they go with the new technology or not? I did say we'll see how it rolls out, right?

Ugh...this will not be fun. Knowing me I will loose it someplace. I really hope this will generate a lot of complaints , just like the pre-pay excursions. :mad:

They didn't spend millions investing in pre paid excursions. This will have to be a total goat rodeo for it to be pulled.

True but at some point they will have to make a decision and I can't see two options, either they go with the new technology or not? I did say we'll see how it rolls out, right?

Please note, I edited that post you just quoted. Likely no key card could be used once they change over the door entry mechanism. However, it would appear that you will be able to limit the use of the medallion to do nothing other than open the cabin door.

BTW, I'm not sure that I care whether I use something the size of a quarter or something the size of a credit card to open my cabin door......just as long as the door opens when I need it to. ;)

Edited by ar1950

Some folks here, myself included, have (either in this thread or one of the others on this subject) stated that, from what the press release said, if you don't want to use the medallion you don't have to use it. However...

After watching about half (so far) of the keynote address I have seen the new door locks and such and there is no option - at least with the locks I have seen in the video so far - to open the door without using the medallion. That would seem to be in conflict with the previous press release info.

Given the number of people who may not want to use this tech that may be a problem. The way they describe the simple act of opening the door shows that your medallion is read, a signal goes through the wiring to the central server (or servers), identifies your medallion as authorized for that particular door, and then sends back a signal which releases the latch. Given the past history of the Princess tech teams I can't imagine there would be any issues. (Now removing tongue from cheek.)

Can you imagine a system outage where a large number of passengers can't get into their cabins? You need your meds but they are locked in a cabin you can't access. Not a good scenario. Of course I would imagine they have thought of this and have redundancies built into the system but it does give one more thing for people to worry about.

Like others above. I don't have a facebook account nor did I ever have a myspace or any other type of social media account. Cruise Critic is about as close to "social media" as I get. I use a laptop, a desktop, a tablet, a smartphone, etc. but, again like some others above, I did fine without them for a very long time and can do without them when necessary. Although I do admit to trying to highlight a word in a paper book to lookup a definition of some esoteric word. :) D'Oh!

Even though I don't need all the tech I have I still look forward to trying this new system.

I hope you are correct about redundancies being built in. As far as opening my cabin door, I am not sure that I care whether I use something the size of a quarter or something the size of a credit card........as long as the door opens when I need it to. ;)