Has anyone used Cruise ship Messenger/Ship Text app?Best way to communnicate onboard

I found an app called Cruise Ship Messenger that uses (I guess) the ships IP address and then you can text family that is using the same app and the same IP address. I'm not sure how you get the ships IP address either.

Is there any other app people have found that works for free? Looking for a way to communicate with family. We are not interested in walkies or write boards on doors, or leaving a message on the room phone. All those require going back to room or going to other rooms (different decks). And walkies I feel is rude to other passengers.

I have read you can get a phone from Royal. How much? Does it work well?

If you are on Quantum Class or Harmony, you can text for $7.95 per phone using the RoyalIQ app.

Otherwise you will either have to pay the ship for internet access or pay your cell carrier $0.50 per text.

On our last cruise, we just downloaded the Ship Mate app and communicated/texted that way. No problems and it's free.

May I ask what ship? We are sailing on Grandeur of the Seas in July and RCCL doesn't offer low cost text only options on their older ships. I'm wondering if this will work. I just need to be able to text to others in the party.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have just downloaded the app☺ Thanks for sharing this. Hopefully it will work next week on Explorer.

Please report back. I'll be very surprised if the app works without having an internet connection.

Please report back. I'll be very surprised if the app works without having an internet connection.

On NCL ships they have an app called iConcierge which is free and it allows cruisers which all have the app on their phones to text each other using the ships WiFi free for within/aboard ship texts.

Rob G.

I had my phone in airplane mode the entire time. I didn't purchase a wifi package. We were on Norweigan Jewel.

I believe you can have the phone in airplane mode and still use the app with WiFi turned on. It would just use the ships router to connect via intranet.

Rob G.

On NCL ships they have an app called iConcierge which is free and it allows cruisers which all have the app on their phones to text each other using the ships WiFi free for within/aboard ship texts.

Rob G.

That sounds like RC's RoyalIQ app, except for RC charges $7.95 per cruise, the app is only available on 4 ships so far.

I'm going on a cruise soon with a bunch of friends. I'm thinking about having a party on one of the port days went we all go to a lounge and stare at our phones instead enjoying the cruise for what it is.

I know this is a sarcastic old man typing this but.......

Edited by MedicKenK

Rob G.

That makes sense. Maybe that is how the cruise ship app works.:cool:

I believe you can have the phone in airplane mode and still use the app with WiFi turned on. It would just use the ships router to connect via intranet.

But for that you would need VOOM. Other than traffic to the few "free" RCI related sites, I don't believe any other traffic will get out to any app without VOOM.

• 3 weeks later...
Just back from explorer. I tried to use the shipmate app to communicate without WiFi and it does not work. The only way the app will work is with WiFi. There were lots of people with walkie talkies and they seemed to work just fine. ..grrrrr.

Appreciate the update. Some have previously said this app works, so it could be that the IT folks have implemented wireless isolation, at least on your ship.

I'm going on a cruise soon with a bunch of friends. I'm thinking about having a party on one of the port days went we all go to a lounge and stare at our phones instead enjoying the cruise for what it is.

I know this is a sarcastic old man typing this but.......

LOL! I cut my phone off and put in safe. Having said this, if I needed to work/communicate to be able to cruise, internet is nice.

Also, I do like at times, the live updates we get, so.........

LOL! I cut my phone off and put in safe. Having said this, if I needed to work/communicate to be able to cruise, internet is nice.

Also, I do like at times, the live updates we get, so.........

I personally use my Iphone 7 Plus as a note taken and camera. I have 3 Cannon's, 5D, 7D, and 60D. I have a huge case full of lenses.

The cruise is a vacation and not going to lug around a SLR Camera.

We had the internet package this past cruise on Navigator. We used Facebook Messenger to communicate.

Seems that you need the Internet. I found out on the Epic that using iConcierge to do text to others onboard you each had to purchase a plan for texting each other onboard. Using their Wi-Fi they still did not allow a connection to each other without it. Even if you are all in the same room.

Rob G.