New question on post cruise survey

Is it possible that they survey makers actually want all employees to ask for a 10? Most often in the MDR, the M’D will mention the same thing over the PA as he bids us farewell.

Without getting too deep in to the rationale as to why the survey makers would ask such a thing, I think it’s possible and if that’s the case, you may be screwing the employees you are trying to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I never considered that viewpoint. Maybe, from RCI's perspective, if surveys routinely have 10's for service it gives them something to use in their marketing strategies?

I never considered that viewpoint. Maybe, from RCI's perspective, if surveys routinely have 10's for service it gives them something to use in their marketing strategies?

I agree, marketing get to make a big deal of the 10s and because we all worry about getting the crew in trouble we say no one asked us to give 10s which makes their marketing sound genuine in that they can claim them as independent excellent reviews.

This is quite an ingenious,crafty marketing ploy if thats what they are doing.

I agree, marketing get to make a big deal of the 10s and because we all worry about getting the crew in trouble we say no one asked us to give 10s which makes their marketing sound genuine in that they can claim them as independent excellent reviews.

This is quite an ingenious,crafty marketing ploy if thats what they are doing.

Or it could be that they knew some crew members would talk about the survey no matter what, so encouraging all to do it levels the playing field. The yes or no box may simply be a way to segment the data to see what impact asking has on results or individual scores may be interpreted differently based on that box. We don’t know what they are doing with the data, but it’s clear the intent of the survey is to improve service.

Or it could be that they knew some crew members would talk about the survey no matter what, so encouraging all to do it levels the playing field. The yes or no box may simply be a way to segment the data to see what impact asking has on results or individual scores may be interpreted differently based on that box. We don’t know what they are doing with the data, but it’s clear the intent of the survey is to improve service.

I'm sure the survey is to improve service but how accurate or truthfull are the surveys when we give top marks out of sympathy for the crew.

I'm sure the survey is to improve service but how accurate or truthfull are the surveys when we give top marks out of sympathy for the crew.

If they want the crew to ask for 10s that’s just useless. A bunch of reviews that may not be completely accurate. I highly doubt they are sending out a seemingly useless survey...

If they want the crew to ask for 10s that’s just useless. A bunch of reviews that may not be completely accurate. I highly doubt they are sending out a seemingly useless survey...

Thats what i always thought then someone posted a thought about marketing and 10s and myself and another poster thought the same that it might be a marketing tool get all the crew to ask for 10s then they can market it as x% gave top marks

I feel good now not leaving the extra tip for the crew. ...........it one way of screwing RCL for screwing their crew.

I do not understand your logic. How can not leaving an extra tip for outstanding service (above and beyond) be interpreted as a way for RCL to screw their crew?

Thats what i always thought then someone posted a thought about marketing and 10s and myself and another poster thought the same that it might be a marketing tool get all the crew to ask for 10s then they can market it as x% gave top marks

I guess I just can’t imagine them not caring about actual feedback. [emoji848]

I guess I just can’t imagine them not caring about actual feedback. [emoji848]

Yes but only excellent feedback.

In the UK we are being asked all the time to give feedback by email even by the girl on the till who only took our money after scanning what we had bought.

I do not understand your logic. How can not leaving an extra tip for outstanding service (above and beyond) be interpreted as a way for RCL to screw their crew?

Don't believe a word by RCL about distributing the gratuities this way and that to the crew.

If you leave a tip to the crew RCL will reduce what they pay to the crew by the same amount. Unless the total tips he received is more than his basic pay then the crew will get to keep the excess above his basic pay.

Don't believe a word by RCL about distributing the gratuities this way and that to the crew.

If you leave a tip to the crew RCL will reduce what they pay to the crew by the same amount. Unless the total tips he received is more than his basic pay then the crew will get to keep the excess above his basic pay.

I give the extra tip in cash and directly to the deserving stateroom attendant or waiter or assistant waiter or bartender. I do not see how this could possibly reduce that employees pay.

I give the extra tip in cash and directly to the deserving stateroom attendant or waiter or assistant waiter or bartender. I do not see how this could possibly reduce that employees pay.

All cash tips must be declared under the pain of firing.

Unless it is suppose to be pooled for large outlets then it is obvious.

Also there are cameras all over the ship. I once ask the room cleaner to open my cabin for me as I left my card in the room. He said he cannot do that even though he knows me very well. He said the cameras will pick up what he did and he has to write a report and questioned on this. He said sorry I have to inform guest services first.

Also there are cameras all over the ship. I once ask the room cleaner to open my cabin for me as I left my card in the room. He said he cannot do that even though he knows me very well. He said the cameras will pick up what he did and he has to write a report and questioned on this. He said sorry I have to inform guest services first.

...and yet I've had attendants seem me coming and they'll open the door for me. I'm not sure I buy that

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I don't recall an MDR waiter (or any other staff member) "begging" for a high rating

I didn't either till recently. On Oasis in 2016 our waiter said if he gets a 10, he will get a promotion.

In 2017 on Adventure our waiter told us if we give bar service a lower grade it also effect them. The survey for that cruise had a unique question, "Did any crew member ask you to rate them highly" So it does happen and Royal knows it.

...and yet I've had attendants seem me coming and they'll open the door for me. I'm not sure I buy that

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Agree, I would say at least once on every cruise and many times more than that the cabin steward opens the door for us when he sees us coming.

Not only has my cabin attendant opened the door for me when I have left my card in the room, I have had some who rush to open the door for me if they just see me walking down the passageway.

Not only has my cabin attendant opened the door for me when I have left my card in the room, I have had some who rush to open the door for me if they just see me walking down the passageway.

I always give our cabin steward $10 the first time i see them and tell them i have prepaid my tips so they know the $10 is theirs.

They always recognise us and on many occasions they have opened the cabin door for us when they see us if they are nearer to the cabin door.

Agree, I would say at least once on every cruise and many times more than that the cabin steward opens the door for us when he sees us coming.

Yes, this has happened to us on most all of our cruises the past few years. I have never had a stateroom attendant say he could not open up the stateroom. Too bad SG007 did not get this treatment.

To be true, Ken I also had the doors open for me previously as well as having to go to guess services.

But my point is really the presence of the cameras all over the ships and the crew knows that it is very difficult to hid anything from surveillance.

Edited by SG007

To be true, Ken I also had the doors open for me previously as well as having to go to guess services.

But my point is really the presence of the cameras all over the ships and the crew knows that it is very difficult to hid anything from surveillance.

Hopefully there aren’t cameras in the rooms. [emoji15]

I'm glad to see this new question being added to the survey. We have had waiters on every Royal Caribbean cruise ask us for top ratings. It made me feel like they had been giving us excellent service as a bribe. It really put a damper on our cruise experience every time they did this.

I'm glad to see this new question being added to the survey. We have had waiters on every Royal Caribbean cruise ask us for top ratings. It made me feel like they had been giving us excellent service as a bribe. It really put a damper on our cruise experience every time they did this.

Unfortunately this happens in customer service where you are made to feel special and most of it is an act to get extra tips and good reviews.

I would rather this than get substandard service though.