Aussie medical device on US ships

Hi all, I hope someone can help. I use a compression machine for lymphedema in my leg caused by cancer. Problem is the voltage on RCCL is 110v and the machine is 230v. What converter do I need to use to make it work. Apparently the wattage needs to be increased. Thanks in advance.

Louise

Hi all, I hope someone can help. I use a compression machine for lymphedema in my leg caused by cancer. Problem is the voltage on RCCL is 110v and the machine is 230v. What converter do I need to use to make it work. Apparently the wattage needs to be increased. Thanks in advance.

Louise

Most medical devices are multi voltage, check with the supplier.

Otherwise you are going to need a stepping convertor.

Thanks for you quick response. I have checked with the supplier (the machine is single voltage) and all they could say was you will need a 'wattage converter, not sure where you get one, maybe google it?" Not helpful. Can you tell me what a stepping converter is? (google wasn't helpful).

Louise

Every RCI ship cabin we have been in has outlets both for USA 110 and for European 230V ..

Buy buying a simple adapter for less than $10 you should be OK to use the EU outlet

Sue and Phil

Every RCI ship cabin we have been in has outlets both for USA 110 and for European 230V ..

Buy buying a simple adapter for less than $10 you should be OK to use the EU outlet

Sue and Phil

Agreed, the EU socket should work but I would also check out getting a wattage convertor, so that you have a back up in case you need the US socket.

here are two results from googling wattage convertor, there was also Gumtree and E-bay available.

http://performanceshop.com.au/stepdowntransformers.html

https://www.wallcann.com.au/step-down-transformers

Edited by MicCanberra

Louise

Have a look at Ebay. A 200 Watt step down is approx $30 and a 500 Watt about $50.

Sue and Phil

Wrong. Plug pin "adapters" only help if your device is dual voltage (like most laptop or cell phone chargers). They let you plug your item (of a particular single voltage) into the adaptor and the adaptor into the outlet (with the SAME individual voltage. If you want the outlet to deliver other than its regular voltage (e.g. 110v for US outlet or 220v for Euro outlet), you need a "voltage converter".

If OP's device is single voltage and the only outlets in a cabin are ALL of the other voltage (highly unlikely), look for "travel AC converters" on Amazon. I really doubt you'll find a decent compact one as cheap as $10.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As others have said, every RCI ship I have been on has a Euro power outlet, which is virtually the same as Australian. Perhaps if the OP can state which RCI ship they are going on, other posters will be able to reassure OP.

other approach is to look through info given by RCI about power, and failing that call RCI to confirm the presence of Euro power points on that particular ship.

If the ship has 220v European two pin outlets, then the OP only needs a plug converter as has been stated to convert from the Oz plug to the Schuko plug. The difference between 220v and 230v is negligible to appliances like this.

If the ship only has 110v outlets, then the OP needs a voltage converter, not a wattage converter. Wattage drawn by the appliance will remain the same, regardless of what voltage is supplied, only the amperage will change.

The OP, if going from 110v to the 230v of the medical device, they need a step up travel converter (transformer), not a step down one. A step down transformer allows a US (110v) appliance to be powered from an Oz (220v) outlet, while a step up transformer allows an Oz appliance to be powered from a US outlet.

Wrong. Plug pin "adapters" only help if your device is dual voltage (like most laptop or cell phone chargers). They let you plug your item (of a particular single voltage) into the adaptor and the adaptor into the outlet (with the SAME individual voltage. If you want the outlet to deliver other than its regular voltage (e.g. 110v for US outlet or 220v for Euro outlet), you need a "voltage converter".

If OP's device is single voltage and the only outlets in a cabin are ALL of the other voltage (highly unlikely), look for "travel AC converters" on Amazon. I really doubt you'll find a decent compact one as cheap as $10.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

O P said that his machine is 230vac, so no voltage conversion required if using the EU outlet.. He only needs adaptor plug in that case..

A poster above said that an EU device, for charging, is similar to an AU device. The charging device I have to use for AU/NZ, which is labeled as such, has slanted prongs, not straight ones. That would make some difference when using it. Do make sure you have the correct thing. Cheers. hmh:)

A poster above said that an EU device, for charging, is similar to an AU device. The charging device I have to use for AU/NZ, which is labeled as such, has slanted prongs, not straight ones. That would make some difference when using it. Do make sure you have the correct thing. Cheers. hmh:)

Hence the need for the adaptor EU to Aus adaptor.:D

Louise

Hi Louise, I can't help with your electrical question, but isn't the lymphedema a bugger😃. I suffer with it in my foot resulting from removal of a melanoma😱

Sent from my HTC_0P9O2 using Forums mobile app

Louise

Use the European socket as that's 230v.