Cancelling. Again.

ukbecky

I think you have a good complaint and every right to start your own post about it so others will know how NCL handled it. When it comes to cruising, I want to hear both the good and bad things that occur. Some posters don't want to hear any complaints. These forums can be rough at times.

I don't believe that people have an issue with hearing proper complaints.

If you have a bad experience, create a post, detail the experience and move on. Everyone becomes aware of the experience...mission accomplished.

What I do think people have a problem with is when the poster "digs their heels in" and argues with anyone who posts a different experience or opinion in the thread...especially if the complaint is trivial or unjustified. When this happens, the poster moves from a platform of informing others to one where they come off as a disgruntled child throwing a tantrum.

Quite simply...there are ways to complain. You can't post in a public forum and expect that everyone will agree with and support your position...this isn't a support group.

First of all, I have been on NCL before and I was just saying that if I was cancelled without compensation I would hestitate to book from that cruise line again. ....

The OP was NOT cancelled by NCL. The OP chose to cancel because the itinerary was changed and OP did not like the new itinerary or the fact that the only reason given for the change was "executive decision".

Edited by NMLady

I too have received a notice to change our star itinerary and it is not one of the dates the op has listed. We booked this trip as a family get together and 2 of the family have never cruised. We picked the itinerary as everyone wanted to do santorini as we have a ritual if going to a particular restaurant and it's an all day explore port and Ravenna to go to Ferrari. They've taken both out. Our letter did not give any apology or explanation and changing out more than 50% of ports should be classed as significant. We can't cancel as we've paid for the flights. I wrote to ncl to my PCC and his answer was 'we see it as an enhancement' try guest relations. We've searched and can see an rccl one going the day before, which is when we fly in and it does santorini but as were from the uk we forfeit our deposit to cancel which comes to £900. So we're having to stick with an itinerary that we don't want or lose £900. Thanks ncl.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I too have received a notice to change our star itinerary and it is not one of the dates the op has listed. We booked this trip as a family get together and 2 of the family have never cruised. We picked the itinerary as everyone wanted to do santorini as we have a ritual if going to a particular restaurant and it's an all day explore port and Ravenna to go to Ferrari. They've taken both out. Our letter did not give any apology or explanation and changing out more than 50% of ports should be classed as significant. We can't cancel as we've paid for the flights. I wrote to ncl to my PCC and his answer was 'we see it as an enhancement' try guest relations. We've searched and can see an rccl one going the day before, which is when we fly in and it does santorini but as were from the uk we forfeit our deposit to cancel which comes to £900. So we're having to stick with an itinerary that we don't want or lose £900. Thanks ncl.

I am sorry this happened to you, and hope that you can get back your deposit somehow, if you do cancel, so that you can do the trip you want to do.

I was able to get my deposit back, but of course I am also committed with flights.

We substituted 4 nights with family in Florence and a 3 night trip to Santorini. It will be a great trip, but not the one we originally planned.

I always feel like people who are dead set on visiting a particular place, should go visit that place. People who are dead set on cruising, should cruise. It's nice when both can be knocked out in one trip, but as you clearly know, that comes with risks. Sorry it didn't work out.

I guess I don't see how a detailed explanation of this decision would make it any better for you, so maybe you should think differently about that. The only thing you can control is how you choose to react.

Amen! I was just going to respond the same re: what difference would a explanation make?

I for one appreciated this post. I'm not a cruising newbie, but am embarrassed to admit I had no idea they could make these dramatic port changes and apparently it's not that uncommon. I book cruises for specific boats and specific ports. I wouldn't be happy either if that changed...

Just to clarify...where did you see that they were offered $50 OBC? Maybe I missed that somewhere in translation.

The OP said that the $50 OBC was on a previous Carnival cruise as a result of port changes due to "technical issues", not for the NCL Star port changes.

I'm on the other Star cruise that was changed, and we still have Santorini. I booked this for the Greek Isles, and the 1 port that was dropped (Ravenna) was one that I could take or leave. So now we have 5 ports instead of 4, and added Kotar (Montenegro) & Dubrovnik (Croatia). So I look at this as a bonus to what we had originally.

Will you certainly lose your deposit?

Again, I don't know where the cut off is. We were able to cancel our Epic cruise without losing our deposit, but the embarkation port had changed.

I'd ask the question if I were you.

Thanks, they don't see it as a significant change so to cancel we have to forfeit. Not willing for us to transfer the funds towards another ncl cruise we have booked either. We've decided to just make the best of it.

Well I'm pleased that people have posted about the itinerary changes, because otherwise I wouldn't have found out. I am booked on the 27 August 2017 NCL Star cruise, but have yet to be informed of the changes to the itinerary by NCL. I'm a bit disappointed about not visiting Santorini, but would rather not visit if the place was due to be packed with people. I like the alternative ports, and so I am happy to keep my booking. Hopefully we will have a fantastic time.

First, I am platinum and have done many, many cruises on 5 different lines and I am not new here.

I hate the way NCL handles things and have booked and cancelled a number of NCL cruises since my last one in 2010. All cancellations have been in response to something NCL has done, and handled badly.

The latest is a Greek sailing on the Star.

I have had only one cancelled port in the last 6 years, that was not due to weather. I do not blame the cruise line for the weather- I DO blame the cruise line for mechanical problems with their ships. Stuff happens, I understand, but the company needs to understand and take responsibility when mechanical failures occur.

In 2014, a port was cancelled on our Carnival Miracle sailing due to(from their letter)"The Carnival Miracle has experienced a technical issue that is only impacting the ship's maximum cruising speed", it then goes into details of the speed reductions and when the repairs will be done. We were offered reimbursement of non-refundable transportation costs if cancelling and $50 OBC per passenger and 25% future cruise discount per passenger if we chose not to cancel.

Knowing the Star problems, I have been on the lookout for news from NCL.

This week I got a letter from NCL about my April booking. It says:

---------------------

"Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Star's 7-Day Adriatic & Greece sailings from Venice, Italy of April 23, May 21,

June 4, 18, July 30, Aug. 27, Sept 10, 24, Oct. 8 and 22, 2017. All guests booked on these sailings need to be aware of this change and travel

professionals are asked to forward this information to their clients.

The itinerary for above mentioned sailings has been changed. Please see the revised itinerary information below"

(revised itinerary)

"For guests who booked shore excursions on the original itinerary in ports no longer being visited, these will be cancelled and refunds processed to form

of payment. New tour information will be available and you can pre-book with our Shore Excursions team or onboard.

For any guests booked outside of the US/Canada please visit http://www.ncl.com for our local contact information in handling your reservation.

Thank you for your understanding. If you have any questions, please contact us at our dedicated support line at (877) 461-1160 from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm

ET Monday through Friday.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Norwegian Star.

----------------------------

No explanations, no apology. It was booked as one port in Croatia, 2 Greece(1 being Santorini), and 1 Italy. Now it is 2 Croatia, 1 Montenegro, Santorini has been replaced with a mainland Greece port, and the Italy one was dropped.

To be honest, it is a great itinerary. But it is very different from the one I booked. Someday I might do this itinerary, but because I CHOSE it.

Substitutions and port cancellations should be explained.

I called to cancel and asked why the changes were made. The entire answer was "It was an executive decision to make those changes".

Please don't tell me not to cruise for the ports. If I just want to be on a ship, not caring where it goes, I will do another Caribbean sailing to islands I have been to numerous times. I would not spend the money for airfare to Europe.

It is insulting and condescending to change my vacation without explanation, and expect me to just accept it.

A Mediterranean cruise is almost always for the ports, especially when coming from the US. It really is unacceptable when they make changes like this. I'm sorry for your disappointment. I would be disappointed as well. There have been too many instances like this recently. It is really making me hesitant to book our Mediterranean cruise right away when the schedule opens for 2019.

First, I am platinum and have done many, many cruises on 5 different lines and I am not new here.

I hate the way NCL handles things and have booked and cancelled a number of NCL cruises since my last one in 2010. All cancellations have been in response to something NCL has done, and handled badly.

The latest is a Greek sailing on the Star.

I have had only one cancelled port in the last 6 years, that was not due to weather. I do not blame the cruise line for the weather- I DO blame the cruise line for mechanical problems with their ships. Stuff happens, I understand, but the company needs to understand and take responsibility when mechanical failures occur.

In 2014, a port was cancelled on our Carnival Miracle sailing due to(from their letter)"The Carnival Miracle has experienced a technical issue that is only impacting the ship's maximum cruising speed", it then goes into details of the speed reductions and when the repairs will be done. We were offered reimbursement of non-refundable transportation costs if cancelling and $50 OBC per passenger and 25% future cruise discount per passenger if we chose not to cancel.

Knowing the Star problems, I have been on the lookout for news from NCL.

This week I got a letter from NCL about my April booking. It says:

---------------------

"Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Star's 7-Day Adriatic & Greece sailings from Venice, Italy of April 23, May 21,

June 4, 18, July 30, Aug. 27, Sept 10, 24, Oct. 8 and 22, 2017. All guests booked on these sailings need to be aware of this change and travel

professionals are asked to forward this information to their clients.

The itinerary for above mentioned sailings has been changed. Please see the revised itinerary information below"

(revised itinerary)

"For guests who booked shore excursions on the original itinerary in ports no longer being visited, these will be cancelled and refunds processed to form

of payment. New tour information will be available and you can pre-book with our Shore Excursions team or onboard.

For any guests booked outside of the US/Canada please visit http://www.ncl.com for our local contact information in handling your reservation.

Thank you for your understanding. If you have any questions, please contact us at our dedicated support line at (877) 461-1160 from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm

ET Monday through Friday.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Norwegian Star.

----------------------------

No explanations, no apology. It was booked as one port in Croatia, 2 Greece(1 being Santorini), and 1 Italy. Now it is 2 Croatia, 1 Montenegro, Santorini has been replaced with a mainland Greece port, and the Italy one was dropped.

To be honest, it is a great itinerary. But it is very different from the one I booked. Someday I might do this itinerary, but because I CHOSE it.

Substitutions and port cancellations should be explained.

I called to cancel and asked why the changes were made. The entire answer was "It was an executive decision to make those changes".

Please don't tell me not to cruise for the ports. If I just want to be on a ship, not caring where it goes, I will do another Caribbean sailing to islands I have been to numerous times. I would not spend the money for airfare to Europe.

It is insulting and condescending to change my vacation without explanation, and expect me to just accept it.

Get over it. I am sure since you haven't cruised NCL since 2010 they are probably relieved that they won't have to deal with you on their boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A Mediterranean cruise is almost always for the ports, especially when coming from the US. It really is unacceptable when they make changes like this. I'm sorry for your disappointment. I would be disappointed as well. There have been too many instances like this recently. It is really making me hesitant to book our Mediterranean cruise right away when the schedule opens for 2019.

If your hesitant to book I wouldn't. Add the airlines possibly switching flight times will only add more disappointment when that happens.

You are fortunate to live in Fla where traveling to ports is very accessible. Thousands of people deal with travel arrangements (changes) .

If your hesitant to book I wouldn't. Add the airlines possibly switching flight times will only add more disappointment when that happens.

You are fortunate to live in Fla where traveling to ports is very accessible. Thousands of people deal with travel arrangements (changes) .

We travel often. Air changes are easily handled. Entire cruise itins are not. While some choose to berate the other poster for her disappointment, I don't. Amazing how that works.

We travel often. Air changes are easily handled. Entire cruise itins are not. While some choose to berate the other poster for her disappointment, I don't. Amazing how that works.

I don't think anyone has berated the OP for her disappointment, however it is easy to see why the OP's sense of entitlement in needing to know "why" is rather off-putting to many people.

We chose to travel in hurricane season for a number of reasons , knowing full well our cruise can be disrupted /changed.

Air changes are not easily handled for some again for a variety of reason.

The OP's "need" to know or the "why" is what people are questioning.

... The OP's "need" to know or the "why" is what people are questioning.

Yep, that inability to accept NCL's "executive decision" reason is what people are questioning. We understand the disappointment of missing Santorini, the frustration of the itinerary change. Harder to understand is the harping on needing to know a better reason than 'executive decision'.

If you book a Caribbean cruise and it turns into a Canadian cruise, wouldn't you want to know why?

If you book an Alaskan cruise and it turns into a Pacific Coastal, wouldn't you want to know why?

If you are told it's because of a hurricane? - okay. Disappointing, but okay.

If you are told it's mechanical failure? - okay. Disappointing, but (IMHO with compensation), okay. Stuff happens

Ports matter and reasons matter. I can't believe some people think I am not 'entitled' to a reason. You do realize this is my money??? 'Executive decision' is ridiculous. I would not accept that from any company. If it's due to overcrowding, why not just say so? If it's ship problems, they should say that too. If I am not getting what I paid for, I want to know, why not?

No wonder NCL gets away with this. And will continue to get away with it--I am amazed at how many people think this customer service failure is just fine/normal/even, expected. It is none of those things.

Honestly, if the ports matter to you, I would not book with NCL. If the ports don't matter, why would you buy overseas flights? Why not stay close to home? It boggles the mind.

I am sailing on the Star in June and received the same port change notification as UKBecky.

At first I was very disappointed ... I booked the cruise specifically because I LOVE Santorini and wanted to revisit it again, and it is no longer a stop on my itinerary.

But then, I did some research ... the port in Santorini is horribly overcrowded due to recent port closures in Turkey. I have read several terrible trip reports from people (on cruises and staying overnight on the island) describing the terrible overcrowding of this tiny place. I cannot imagine the tram lines to get back to port from Fira (and the donkeys are an absolute NO in my opinion. I cannot stand to see grown people riding those poor animals up and down that cliff).

Once I did some research into the alternate ports, I got a bit excited. These are new ports, just now becoming tourist destinations. They are beautiful and interesting and I am excited to see them. Never on my own would I have even thought of booking a trip to Croatia!

I truly believe that this change in ports will actually enhance this cruise. I will miss the old Santorini ... and someday, when the throngs of people have gone, I will revisit it. I am also sad to miss the mosaics in Ravenna. I am an art fanatic and was excited about seeing those as well.

But for now, I am pretty excited to see a part of the world I have never seen before.

I can't believe some people think I am not 'entitled' to a reason.

ukbecky, after reading all your comments on this thread, I really think the time has come for you to realise you are not going to change what NCL have done with this destination no matter how many times you reiterate the circumstances.

If you book a Caribbean cruise and it turns into a Canadian cruise, wouldn't you want to know why?

If you book an Alaskan cruise and it turns into a Pacific Coastal, wouldn't you want to know why?

If you are told it's because of a hurricane? - okay. Disappointing, but okay.

If you are told it's mechanical failure? - okay. Disappointing, but (IMHO with compensation), okay. Stuff happens

Ports matter and reasons matter. I can't believe some people think I am not 'entitled' to a reason. You do realize this is my money??? 'Executive decision' is ridiculous. I would not accept that from any company. If it's due to overcrowding, why not just say so? If it's ship problems, they should say that too. If I am not getting what I paid for, I want to know, why not?

No wonder NCL gets away with this. And will continue to get away with it--I am amazed at how many people think this customer service failure is just fine/normal/even, expected. It is none of those things.

Honestly, if the ports matter to you, I would not book with NCL. If the ports don't matter, why would you buy overseas flights? Why not stay close to home? It boggles the mind.

I've got no strong feelings either way on this. I can see why you would like an explanation, even though we all know that you aren't going to get one.

However, we are going all over the place with some of these examples.

You have had some ports changed. That is not the same as a Caribbean cruise changing to a Canadian one, or an Alaska one changing to Pacific Coastal.

If it had have been something like that they you would have been given further options and OBC to compensate. As I stated earlier in this discussion, I was able to cancel my cruise without penalty when it changed from Rome round trip to Rome-Barcelona.

I'm not saying that NCL are right or wrong with how they have dealt with this. It is certainly relatively close to the sailing date to be making changes. which is far more my issue with this than whether they have explained why it's happened.

It is unfortunate that Santorini has gone when you were particularly looking forward to, and whilst you don't give exact details of the old and new itinerary, it does look like it's probably a fairly different (and in my opinion better) itinerary now. Probably those changes are sufficient enough to have offered you some compensation, although where is the dividing line?

Anyway, whatever we think, it isn't going to change anything. It's probably best to just move on.

Once I did some research into the alternate ports, I got a bit excited. These are new ports, just now becoming tourist destinations. They are beautiful and interesting and I am excited to see them. Never on my own would I have even thought of booking a trip to Croatia!

I truly believe that this change in ports will actually enhance this cruise. I will miss the old Santorini ... and someday, when the throngs of people have gone, I will revisit it. I am also sad to miss the mosaics in Ravenna. I am an art fanatic and was excited about seeing those as well.

But for now, I am pretty excited to see a part of the world I have never seen before.

I'm not sure of your exact ports, but I can say that when we did the 2 week Eastern Med itineraries on the Jade a couple of years back, Split and Dubrovnik were possibly our two favourite ports on the cruise. I certainly enjoyed them both more than Santorini (although that is obviously just personal preference).

Going back to Split will be one of the highlights of our upcoming cruises at Easter.

Again, not knowing the exact itineraries now, I have also heard Kotor and Olympia mentioned. Whilst I haven't been to Kotor, we are going there soon and it looks really nice. We also really enjoyed Olympia, and would highly recommend it.

Given the reported crowding at Santorini, I think I would actually be reluctant to book a cruise that is due to go there at the moment. It was busy enough when we were there as one of just two ships there.