Why the iced tea drama?

cruizergal70

Exactly. I was a restaurant manager many many years ago and a thing of unsweet tea would last us all day and we'd still end up pouring some out. Nobody drank it. Sweet tea however had to be made several times an hour. Rarely anyone drinks unsweet tea and it's just not served unless specified.

In my experience this is no longer true. We traveled from Virginia to Texas through the heart of the south at Christmas. I was often asked if I wanted sweet or unsweet tea, and if I wasn't and asked for unsweet no one batted an eye.

With Carnival cruises we bring our slim and compact 2 quart rubbermaid pitcher and use tea bags to make our own tea to serve over ice. We use the water at the beverage station filling our pitcher by only using the clean cups provided. It steeps in a couple of hours. This is much fresher and cleaner tasting than the tea made from a liquid concentrate dispensed at the beverage stations provided by Carnival. We don't drink sweet tea so that's a non-starter for us.

FWIW, there's no drama with us, we find our own easy solution which is known as taking personal responsibility by some.

41VDgXFSfSL._SY355_.jpg

Exactly what I plan on doing!

Haven't you a favorite beverage you would like to not have to go without while on a week's cruise you paid good money for?

Of course, but soda isn't included so I live without it for a few days. With the hot weather and spending all of that time in the sun, I should really just be drinking lots of water anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I use to drink sweet tea until moving to Texas, way too sweet to drink. May as well just get a spoon of sugar and eat it. I have had Carnival tea in the past and didn't think it was all that bad, will try on my next cruise to see if it is as bad as several try to claim. I do not remember having had to add anything to it. Doubt it though. People just get use to one thing and cannot tolerate any type of change.

On nights we decide for desert we want the chocolate melting cake we bring along a small jiff peanut butter on the go cup to add to them making it like a

reeses peanut butter cake.

You literally just blew my mind with that one. Gonna have to try it on my next cruise

If you have tasted it and you still have to ask this question then you have no idea what tea is supposed to taste like. Carnivals tea is vile. It obviously comes fromeither a powdered or concentrated mix. You'd think that with a commisary the size that they have they could make a hundred gallons of tea from scratch.

But then again if you are drinking free tea you aren't spending $9 on a drink from the bar.

Edited by Boozebabe

How to make iced tea from scratch onboard--

Steep two tea bags in a mug of water. When dark pour over a full cup of ice.

For sweet tea- dissolve sweetener of choice in a bit of hot water. Then add more hot water and steep two tea bags till dark. Pour over a full cup of ice.

Carnival has regular Lipton and decaf Green Tea available.

Carnival's dispensed iced tea is better than Princess's

I hear that in 2018 They're rolling out a trial where you prepare your own meals. :eek::D

Edited by ohioblue52
spelling

The iced tea on Carnival ships is unsweetened. Why don't people seem to understand that? Fast food restaurants usually serve their iced tea unsweetened also.

LOL...I think you dont live here in the south!!! When we moved down here 10 years ago I could not believe how sweet the ice tea is in all restaurants:eek:! Can't drink it no matter what they do to it...

We mix our ice tea on the ships with the lemonade (which by the way is much too sweet and needs to be cut with something), makes a much nicer drink...

Yes!!!! Was going to say the exact same about mixing tea and lemonade!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The iced tea on Carnival ships is unsweetened. Why don't people seem to understand that? Fast food restaurants usually serve their iced tea unsweetened also. Why is this a big deal on the ship? Just add sweetener to your taste.

I'm not an iced tea drinker myself, but my mother is. She loves McDonald's sweet tea. I have always teased her that she likes a little tea with her sugar. lol:D

I have a simple tip for those who can't figure out how to dissolve the sugar in the cold unsweetened ice tea. Put 2-3 tablespoons of the hot water available for tea in the bottom of the glass. Stir whatever sweetener and amount one wants in the hot water and then add your ice and ready made ice tea.

I have a simple tip for those who can't figure out how to dissolve the sugar in the cold unsweetened ice tea. Put 2-3 tablespoons of the hot water available for tea in the bottom of the glass. Stir whatever sweetener and amount one wants in the hot water and then add your ice and ready made ice tea.

What a sane response. I personally like sweetened iced coffee on a warm day and I find myself having to explain to almost everyone that it is available on Carnival. Sugar or sweetener, hot coffee, and my tumbler filled to the brim with ice. Mix the sugar into the hot coffee and pour over the ice. So simple but a total conundrum for many including waiters who insist they don't have iced coffee on the menu.

Agreed!!! I usually mix the ice tea and lemonade and add a pack of sugar or Splenda to it, and its fine for me. I don't know why people think they should have a particular style of iced tea onboard.

The iced tea on Carnival ships is unsweetened. Why don't people seem to understand that? Fast food restaurants usually serve their iced tea unsweetened also. Why is this a big deal on the ship? Just add sweetener to your taste.

Haha! We bring teabags and just tuck into our nalagene bottle, sunshine time on the Lido makes great unsweet 'brewed' tea!

With Carnival cruises we bring our slim and compact 2 quart rubbermaid pitcher and use tea bags to make our own tea to serve over ice. We use the water at the beverage station filling our pitcher by only using the clean cups provided. It steeps in a couple of hours. This is much fresher and cleaner tasting than the tea made from a liquid concentrate dispensed at the beverage stations provided by Carnival. We don't drink sweet tea so that's a non-starter for us.

FWIW, there's no drama with us, we find our own easy solution which is known as taking personal responsibility by some.

41VDgXFSfSL._SY355_.jpg