Asia Vaccination queries

penang32

Leaving early March on the Constellation from Singapore on round trip via Vietnam,Hong Kong,Manilla, Boracay Island and Kota Kinabalu.

Queried with T/A here in Adelaide(South Aust) if should have any injections prior to travelling.She advised us to contact local Travel Dr to discuss.

Called them and was preliminary discussion that there were no direct requirements for them however we should consider having injections for typhoid and hepatitis A. A Friend recently spent 2 weeks in Vietnam and had shots for Typhoid and Hep C.

I understand that having preventative inoculations can be a personal choice but I would appreciate any comments from fellow cruisers.

Did call Celebrity here in Aus however they were not very helpful.

We have travelled extensively around Asia, we don't rough it, staying in decent hotels and doing what I supposed people would describe as "soft" excursions. We have always followed our Doctor's advice (they consult a guide and take into account our own medical records). Countries do have outbreaks and I recall a typhoid outbreak in Delhi shortly before we travelled there. Malaria medication might also be worth checking out.

Edited by DYKWIA

I had those done for travel recently, but it was a land trip, not a cruise. Can't advise on the risk related to a cruise but personally prefer to get vaccines when it's recommended. If you get both hep a shots it's good for life. No idea about cost in Australia, but under Obamacare requirements, it's free in the US if you have any insurance. I did the typhoid pill instead of the shot - it's cheaper and uses a live virus so it lasts for 5 years instead of 2 like the shot. We are planning a trip to Asia in a few years so will still be covered with the longer time frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why would you come to an anonymous public forum for advise on your health? That's fine for a restaurant recommendation and even that I wouldn't take with more than a grain of salt.

Recommendations regarding vaccinations take more into consideration than just the places you will be visiting. Your doctor, should also take 1) your personal health, 2) your age, 30 whom you are traveling with, 4) the types of excursions you may be considering, and 5) your vaccination history. Nobody here can advise you properly.

If you want a second opinion, than that of your personal physician, go to the CDC website. Their website will step you through a series of questions and help you identify what may be of importance.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/

If you choose to receive any vaccinations, make sure to do so now. Then your body will have time to develop the necessary anti-bodies.

Edited by Fish Lover

Why would you come to an anonymous public forum for advise on your health? That's fine for a restaurant recommendation and even that I wouldn't take with more than a grain of salt.

Recommendations regarding vaccinations take more into consideration than just the places you will be visiting. Your doctor, should also take 1) your personal health, 2) your age, 30 whom you are traveling with, 4) the types of excursions you may be considering, and 5) your vaccination history. Nobody here can advise you properly.

If you want a second opinion, than that of your personal physician, go to the CDC website. Their website will step you through a series of questions and help you identify what may be of importance.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/

If you choose to receive any vaccinations, make sure to do so now. Then your body will have time to develop the necessary anti-bodies.

NHS in the UK recommends 8 weeks before travel for most inoculations, so if travelling in Early March they might be too late. I know Malaria drugs are different and can be destination specific.

Another factor to consider is time of year - recommendations for dry season might be different to the rainy season.

I think advice other than "check out general country specific inoculation advice from a recognised authority, if this recommends inoculations / medication then discuss with your Doctor" is unwise

Ships themselves have inherent risks of illness and just because you might not be exposing yourself to risk off the ship doesn't mean others are not. Been to Kota Kinabalu several times and there is no way I would visit there (Borneo) without heeding professional medical advice. Places like the Orangutan sanctuary are in a rain forrest.

Edited by DYKWIA

HepB is given to everyone in Australia starting at around 12 years of age. If you stick to bottled water and cooked foods only on land you won't get the other Hep issues. Typhoid - unlikely on a ship excursion. All of these places are cities.

HepB is given to everyone in Australia starting at around 12 years of age. If you stick to bottled water and cooked foods only on land you won't get the other Hep issues. Typhoid - unlikely on a ship excursion. All of these places are cities.

Are you a physician? If not, then you should not be giving such advise in an authoritative way. If you are, then an attorney should advise you of your malpractice risks for making such online statements without the appropriate caveats.

NHS in the UK recommends 8 weeks before travel for most inoculations, so if travelling in Early March they might be too late. I know Malaria drugs are different and can be destination specific.

Another factor to consider is time of year - recommendations for dry season might be different to the rainy season.

I think advice other than "check out general country specific inoculation advice from a recognised authority, if this recommends inoculations / medication then discuss with your Doctor" is unwise

Ships themselves have inherent risks of illness and just because you might not be exposing yourself to risk off the ship doesn't mean others are not. Been to Kota Kinabalu several times and there is no way I would visit there (Borneo) without heeding professional medical advice. Places like the Orangutan sanctuary are in a rain forrest.

Additional excellent points.

Are you a physician? If not, then you should not be giving such advise in an authoritative way. If you are, then an attorney should advise you of your malpractice risks for making such online statements without the appropriate caveats.

Asia is 2 hours away from Australia. Probably traveled there two to three times a year most years. You are more likely to get Rota virus on the ship. Just watch out for mozzie bites but not just for reasons of malaria. Avoid ice drinks. Don't eat salads on shore. Don't get bitten by monkeys or other warm blooded animals and seek immediate medical attention if you do. Eat hot food only that is freshly prepared. Wash your hands frequently. Drink only bottled water. Common sense stuff. Most of the illnesses you might experience you can't get a shot for.

But get all the shots of you want. No one is stopping you but don't think because you've had them then you won't get sick if you don't use common sense. They won't protect you from everything and I don't consider they are necessary for cruise excursions.

If you were land travelling in Nepal, India, Malaysia etc etc or on farms or staying overnight in jungles in such places then completely different story and I'd get them too. More Common sense.

We don't call Doctors physicians in Australia. A little OTT methinks.

Edited by Pushka

We went to a “Travel / Immunization” clinic prior to our SE East Asia cruise (Jan 2017). She *highly* recommended the Typhoid vaccine (lasts for ~ 2 years). We already had our Hep A/B (TwinRex). In addition, we updated our Tetanus vaccine (which was in a combo with Whooping Cough & Adult Polio). We are both not huge fans of receiving shots; however! we are not complacent either and followed through with her recommendations.

We also stocked up on antibiotics (just in case we were inflicted with a gastro issue); as recommended by the Clinic Nurse. We usually travel with Cipro; but that is quite ineffective in SE Asia (drug resistance), so she recommended what would work in that area of the world.

In addition, she said - if you can’t boil or cook it - don’t eat it. We made out just fine! the only time I felt ill on the trip was after eating a greasy pizza from the Oceanview Buffet (on the ship).

I highly recommend consulting your doctor for what is best for you. They can review your itinerary and advise you based on your medical history what you personally might need.

Heather

Edited by hvbaskey