Norwegian getaway- shoe attire in restaurants

BarbMatt

Hi. My family and I are going on Norwegian getaway this weekend. This is the first time on Norwegian. We have done several other cruise lines and never had a problem wearing sandals in the dining room. Looking on the website, it says only closed toe shoes allowed. Is this a strict practice or can we continue to wear sandals like on past cruises.

Thanks,

Barb

i always wear flip flops to all the restaurants, but they are the strappy leather flip flops, not the black foam Teva type or the adidas sport flops. i would think "mandals" would be acceptable (i.e. birkenstocks, etc.) but sport flops should be avoided.

that siad, i personally have never seen dress codes enforced in any of the restaurants.

As a gent, I wore long pants and sandals to Le Bistro with no questions asked. I have also worn long pants and gym sneakers without questions. My wife only wears sandals on board and never had any problems with Le Bistro. Only place you need closed toed shoes is Behind the Scenes and ropes course ... not sure about the rock wall.

NCL is not good about enforcing the dress code and that is irritating to me. Especially in the upscale dining areas folks should make an effort to tidy up. Many times we have been sitting in Cagney's or LeBistro and sitting next to us are folks in swim trunks and rubber flip flops. I am in a dress and my husband is in a suit for our special evening and for us it takes the atmosphere down a notch. I guess this also might fall under "Freestyle Dining" so I need to get over it :p

NCL is not good about enforcing the dress code and that is irritating to me. Especially in the upscale dining areas folks should make an effort to tidy up. Many times we have been sitting in Cagney's or LeBistro and sitting next to us are folks in swim trunks and rubber flip flops. I am in a dress and my husband is in a suit for our special evening and for us it takes the atmosphere down a notch. I guess this also might fall under "Freestyle Dining" so I need to get over it :p

they only make themselves look stupid, as my mother would say.

I hear folks about dressing up, but we travel very light due to airline baggage fees. We need to cut the wardrobe so the dress shoes, dress socks, button down shirt, undershirt, sports jacket, and tie are usually the first to go unless we are sitting for pics. Additionally, we have to wear business formal at work so we take advantage of dressing casual on vacation. Sorry if it lessens your dining experience.

Not an excuse, just a reason

I don't think I've seen them enforce shoe restrictions anywhere in any of the dining venues. I don't think I've even seen them enforce any kind of dress code restrictions. I'm sure it happens occasionally, but I've eaten in the MDR with men in tank tops and swimsuits at nearby tables.

I don't really care what other people wear. I think it's nice when people dress up but it's not always possible. I always see these families with trunks of clothes, sometimes it looks like some of the women have four suitcases a piece, and I think that these people must live close enough to the port so they can drive. A decade or more ago, airlines didn't have all of these added fees for extra bags or for checking bags. My wife doesn't bring many fancy clothes on a cruise because she wants to bring the least amount of shoes possible.

Where I draw the line though, is male shirtlessness in the buffet. Some years ago I was on a cruise where three young men strutted into the buffet in their swimsuits without shirts. Amazingly, nobody said anything. I thought it was disgusting. I don't want to have to contemplate whether the day's buffet offerings contained an extra surprise in the form of stray pit or chest hairs. :eek:

I hear folks about dressing up, but we travel very light due to airline baggage fees. We need to cut the wardrobe so the dress shoes, dress socks, button down shirt, undershirt, sports jacket, and tie are usually the first to go unless we are sitting for pics. Additionally, we have to wear business formal at work so we take advantage of dressing casual on vacation. Sorry if it lessens your dining experience.

Not an excuse, just a reason

i hear ya, we always fly jet blue or southwest for free bags. but that said, dockers and a polo (even with sneakers) still looks nicer at cagneys than shorts and a t-shirt with adidas sandals.

I was on the Getaway last year. We went to free and fee dining and wore running shoes. I saw people dressed up to casual. Just to fee dining, no cutoff shirts or swim trunks.

But would they enforce it if you showed up in flip flops? Probably not.

They did come around at cagney's for photos, so maybe something dressy but not over the top would work.

Enjoy!

I don't think I've even seen them enforce any kind of dress code restrictions. I'm sure it happens occasionally, but I've eaten in the MDR with men in tank tops and swimsuits at nearby tables.

I can say that on my last cruise on the spirit they were very good at enforcing the no hat rule!! I tested this every night in the MDR when i forgot it was on my head and was kindly asked to take it off.

I wear a pair of leather closed toe Keen sandals for the whole cruise. I wear them in restaurants (including Le Bistro which seems to be a little fussier) with dresses, I wear them with my swimsuit and a coverup, I wear them when we go on shore. I've worn them on the ropes course and the Behind the Scenes tour. I do wear a pair of sneakers on embarkation day (they serve as a backup in case something happens to my sandals). The only other shoes I bring are a pair of water shoes that are packed with my snorkel gear. On our first cruise I think I packed 6 pairs of shoes!

I bought my first Keen sandals (men's Newport) a few years ago at a thrift shop and I wore them *everywhere* from spring to fall. One of the straps finally let get and I bought a brand new pair this winter (again, men's Newport). Absolutely the best shoes I've ever had.