Breakaway Short Review: Just back from my 14 day Breakaway cruise!

dongordon

This is a very short review, with some highlights that I enjoyed on the cruise:

Our 14 Day Breakaway cruise was fantastic with great weather and this was our second time on the ship.

The entertainment onboard was great including:

Rock of Ages

Howl of the Moon in Headliners which featured dueling pianos with sing along,

Oh What a Night which is a tribute to the Four Seasons which received standing ovations for the two nights they performed.

The Spice H2O located in the Aft on Deck 16 is a large open deck venue for late night dancing with different themes each night starting at 10:00 PM. Here, the "Glow Party" replaced the "White Hot Party" on the smaller NCL ships. It has all the bells and whistles of a modern Disco and the left side provided a great place for me to enjoy my cigars.

The big surprise for us was Margaritaville located on Deck 16 in the Aft which received some unfavorable reviews due to the additional charges for food. They had the best hamburgers and margaritas (covered under my beverage package.) We always had a window seat and could watch the beautiful sea while having lunch having dined there several times on sea days. A few times a guitar singer entertained while we dined.

The ports are fantastic....most that I have been to before, but Dominica was new and I found it most enjoyable and interesting. I took the ship's eexcursion to Trafalger Falls and Snorkeling at Champagne Reef. Got plenty of exercise and my fit bit showed about 6 miles of walking that day! :D

Nothing like escaping reality and the cold weather on a long 14 day cruise.

If anyone has any questons, do not hesitate to ask.

Don

I have been on numerous NCL cruises, but always on the Gem. First time this March on the Breakaway.

Quick question - is Rock of Ages like a normal evening show? Do you get to go once or can you go multiple times?

I live in NYC and I absolutely LOVED Rock of Ages and am looking forward to seeing it again... can you go more than once if you want?

Thanks for your review BTW...

Our 14 Day Breakaway cruise was fantastic with great weather and this was our second time on the ship.

Rock of Ages

Oh What a Night which is a tribute to the Four Seasons which received standing ovations for the two nights they performed.

The Spice H2O located in the Aft on Deck 16 is a large open deck venue for late night dancing with different themes each night starting at 10:00 PM. Here, the "Glow Party" replaced the "White Hot Party" on the smaller NCL ships. It has all the bells and whistles of a modern Disco and the left side provided a great place for me to enjoy my cigars.

The big surprise for us was Margaritaville located on Deck 16 in the Aft which received some unfavorable reviews due to the additional charges for food. They had the best hamburgers and margaritas (covered under my beverage package.) We always had a window seat and could watch the beautiful sea while having lunch having dined there several times on sea days. A few times a guitar singer entertained while we dined.

The ports are fantastic....most that I have been to before, but Dominica was new and I found it most enjoyable and interesting. I took the ship's eexcursion to Trafalger Falls and Snorkeling at Champagne Reef. Got plenty of exercise and my fit bit showed about 6 miles of walking that day! :D

Don

Which shows do you have to make reservations for and when should you make them? We will be sailing to Bermuda in May.

Thanks!

MARAPRINCE

I have been on numerous NCL cruises, but always on the Gem. First time this March on the Breakaway.

Quick question - is Rock of Ages like a normal evening show? Do you get to go once or can you go multiple times?

I live in NYC and I absolutely LOVED Rock of Ages and am looking forward to seeing it again... can you go more than once if you want?

Rock of Ages and Burn the Floor require reservations.

Rock of Ages is about an hour and a half show and Burn the Floor is a little over an hour.

I'm not sure if you can go twice. I only made reservations for one show.

It is shown two days on the 14 day cruise as is Burn the floor...twice each of the days.

Don

Where does the 4 Seasons show happen and do you know if it is a continuing show?

I'm not sure if is always on the Breakaway.

On our 14 day cruise....it was the same show on two nights....day 12 and 14.

Again two shows each night (7 and 9 PM).

I believe they have a website with their schedule of both land and sea performances.

I will see if I can find it.

Don

Thanks for the review.

How long do the shows typically last?

TIA!

All shows are about an hour except for Rock of Ages which is about an hour and a half.

Shown twice each night they are scheduled.

Early and late show...usually 7 and 9 PM.

Guest reservations should have a list of dates and shows. I would check the day you board.

The ship's Concierge showed me the list and made all my show reservations.

That being said, I am a platinum member and stayed in the Haven so had access to his services.

Make your specialty dinner reservations accordingly. We always went to the early show and made our dining reservations for 8:30 except for Rock of Ages when we made sure we would not dine in a specialty restaurant requiring reservations.

Don

Rock of Ages

Don

Don, we have done Dominica twice (years back). For us it rates in the 2 or 3 best ports in the entire Caribbean and we have seen almost all of the ports. Glad you enjoyed it so much

I'm not sure if is always on the Breakaway.

On our 14 day cruise....it was the same show on two nights....day 12 and 14.

Again two shows each night (7 and 9 PM).

I believe they have a website with their schedule of both land and sea performances.

I will see if I can find it.

Don

Try this for their schedule of performances on NCL:

http://frankievalliandthe4seasonstribute.com/AppearSchedule.php

Great show!!

Don

I believe you can only make reservations once, but they open up each show about 15 minutes before show time to walkins, and they don't scan your card. (They will usually scan your card before that to make sure you have reservations, but sometimes we've shown up with reservations and they were just letting everyone in) I don't think it would be a problem if you waited in the standby line if you wanted to see it more than once.

It's an amazing show and I never get tired of it. :)

Don, thanks for your post cruise thoughts and impressions. I was on the same cruise -

Just an added, unrelated thought: we had lovely weather throughout our cruise ports, but on our sail home (3 sea days), the 1st night seas started to swell and by the 2nd day wave heights were reaching 21 ft and the BA handled it wonderfully! Sure the outside pools sloshed around, and waves were highly visible through the Taste and Savor DR windows, but to me there was hardly any side to side motion. A glass of water in my 11th deck cabin hardly rippled!. Great ship for handling the sea!

I cannot agree about Dominica. [emoji17]. The falls were awesome and the island was pretty, but the champagne snorkelling was a huge let down. Compared to snorkelling we've done in other areas (especially Cuba & Mexico) Dominica was grey, murky, didn't have a lot of fish to see, and the champagne bubbles were much ado about nothing (imho). I know several people on the bus that day shared my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I cannot agree about Dominica. [emoji17]. The falls were awesome and the island was pretty, but the champagne snorkelling was a huge let down. Compared to snorkelling we've done in other areas (especially Cuba & Mexico) Dominica was grey, murky, didn't have a lot of fish to see, and the champagne bubbles were much ado about nothing (imho). I know several people on the bus that day shared my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would tend to agree with you on your comments....

I have seen better snorkeling (especially Turtle Cove in St. Thomas) but I thought the bubbles were pretty cool. Also a difficult rocky trek to the snorkeling site.

It was a different kind of snorkeling experience.

Don