A fun way to use those free gemstones

CrzN4Info

For years I have been throwing those free gemstones that you get with a coupon from the cruise ships in my jewelry box. You know the ones the jewelry stores use to get you in to buy something.

These clear locket neklaces have been out for a while but it wasn't until now that I wondered if all of my free gemstones would fit in one of them. Well they do.

I got mine on Amazon but I know there are a lot of places to get them. Stainless steel and only $11.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FW3OGTA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm looking forward to my next cruise so I can pick up a tiny piece of Laramar. :-)

7e59b096-3230-4076-bd56-a06e29a1de07_zpsnwhjest7.jpg

One year we collected all our free earrings and pendants in St. Martin and St. Thomas to add to our "Angel Tree" gifts at Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
One year we collected all our free earrings and pendants in St. Martin and St. Thomas to add to our "Angel Tree" gifts at Christmas.

Now that is a great idea.

Funny story....

I am taking classes to become a bench jeweler. I have a number of "free" necklaces from Effy, so I decided to use one of them in a project. The stone in the necklace was set, so I decided to use it as the center of a "flower" I was making. I cut off the top of the pendant (the "bale") and tried to solder the remaining piece in place.

The stone melted!

Funny story....

I am taking classes to become a bench jeweler. I have a number of "free" necklaces from Effy, so I decided to use one of them in a project. The stone in the necklace was set, so I decided to use it as the center of a "flower" I was making. I cut off the top of the pendant (the "bale") and tried to solder the remaining piece in place.

The stone melted!

Haha - gemstone...glass...does it REALLY matter??? :)

Is this relatively new (since 2014) I have cruised many X cruises and never seen these.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4

I have been to a few gem shows and never seen these offered? These were promotions for sale of gems. Perhaps this was different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...
Haha - gemstone...glass...does it REALLY matter??? :)

Those are not the stones I think she is talking about. Years ago DI gave out little real gem stones without a setting. You only got one and they were only big enough to have a stud earring made. Not those Effy things that they are giving out now.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Forums mobile app

I ended up buying the locket at Michaels for $5.99. My grand girls are having fun making different designs with the "gems". I added some gold dust & crushed turquoise to mine as well as a couple of the 1ct "sapphire", "topaz" & several others. I did put it on a good braided gold necklace & it looks great. I'll get a picture & post later.

Sent from my iPad using Forums