Just booked our second cruise!

amydresh

Feb 2018 out of Galveston on Freedom for our 20th anniversary. The *problem* is that on our first cruise last month we brought our kids along and this one would be without them. I am having horrible guilt over it. I was just looking into excursions and it was actually making me tear up thinking of leaving them behind. We have NEVER done a vacation without our kids (they are 16, 13, and 11) so I know that's why and I know it's ridiculous that I am feeling badly over it! We haven't done a lot of vacations but my kids have been on several over the years including Disneyland, Mount Rushmore, the cruise, and several other smaller vacations so they certainly aren't deprived of vacations. I wanna be excited for the cruise but it's hard for me to stop feeling guilty.

Edited by amydresh

My husband was actually upset that I insisted that the kids come on the first cruise, he has wanted to do one with just the two of us for years. He was pretty upset that dd and I ended up hanging out a lot on the cruise and left him out. He is super excited about going alone on this one. It is bothering him that I am upset about it. :/

Also think of it as a "marriage" lesson - you are teaching your kids that your relationship as husband and wife matters and that you are not just "mom and dad." My kids are 18 and 12 and have been on 10+ cruises (including Alaska), Yellowstone, Yosemite, Sedona/Grand Canyon, every east coast state from NY south, Disney and Universal...and I still feel guilty when we leave them behind! But then I remind myself that I have to leave some places for them to go someday with their wives and kids! LOL

Seriously though, we take them away 2 weeks a year and take 1 week just for us - for something that wouldn't be as interesting to them or would be a harder trip with 4 on board. Hubby and I are on a quest to finish up the 50 states in the next few years and I feel less guilty doing it this way!

Happy 20th!

My wife was the same way back in the day when we took trips without our kids. Now we are empty nesters and having the time of our lives.

For his sake, and yours, try to conceal your guilt and go have a great time with your husband. As Anyislandwilldo said in post #4, years from now your kids will be grown and gone. I'm sure they will appreciate the happy times you had together, but now is the time to treasure every moment you have with your husband. Trust me, you will be glad you did.

Cruising is a great way to celebrate your anniversary. My wife and I celebrated our 50th last August.

Thank you all for making me feel better about leaving them behind. It's good to hear that someone who vacations so much with their kids still feels guilty leaving them out. Good idea for leaving them places to go with their own families! :) We are also trying to hit all 50 states, I have 31 under my belt since we drove to NOLA for our cruise, that added 3 more states for me and 4 more for the kids.

Congrats on 50 years JimOK! :)

I understand your guilt. We recently took our first cruise to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary and left the kids at home. Even though they are 19 and 14 the youngest has Aspergers and we've never left her alone before. Because the oldest works nights there were times she would be alone at night. I worried about leaving her alone but it turned out fine and she even said it made her happy that we trusted her enough to leave her alone. Our biggest worry was that she wouldn't remember to take her meds but she did just fine. I'm sure your kids will do just fine as well. We just did the social package and kept in touch with them on FB. Go have fun and reconnect with your hubby.

Hi Amy

I am not sure what exactly you are feeling guilty or concerned about. At those ages most children would welcome the opportunity to feel that their parents would allow them some independence.

If the guilt is that you don't feel you are ready to let go a bit, then you will have to decide when will the time is right. Obviously your husband was ready many years ago. Now it's your turn.

have a great cruise