Norwegian Cruise Line Lowers Bottled Water Prices

LauraS

Still triple the cost of water on Carnival. These prices are unreasonable, even indecent. I urge NCL to match or at least get in the same ballpark as other lines, and maybe apologize for their intentional gouging. Be a little more sensitive to your customer.

I bought a 24 pack a few days ago to be delivered to our room and they charged me $53.04 - these are 1 liter bottles so they average about $2.21 per bottle - Is this price the new price? We are heavy water drinkers and picky about our water too - felt it best to bite the bullet and get purified water rather than rely on the water through the ship's reserves.

I was able to look in my paper work when making notes of things to do after making my final payment. The case of 24 bottles was $70.74. It still is amazing what they charge for the bottles. In my local stores, prices run from $1 - $1.49 for liter bottles of that brand. Last year, I paid $5 for 12 half liter bottles (= 6L) on the Carnival Pride. It is still going to cost me just under $18 on the Epic. But I still need to make the purchase. I was told that in Europe when you go out to eat they charge for water.

I was able to look in my paper work when making notes of things to do after making my final payment. The case of 24 bottles was $70.74. It still is amazing what they charge for the bottles. In my local stores' date=' prices run from $1 - $1.49 for liter bottles of that brand. Last year, I paid $5 for 12 half liter bottles (= 6L) on the Carnival Pride. It is still going to cost me just under $18 on the Epic. But I still need to make the purchase. I was told that in Europe when you go out to eat they charge for water.[/quote']

Any restaurant in Europe will give you a jug of water if you ask for it so I'm not sure where that idea came from. Naturally, bottled water is a chargeable item but is a lot cheaper than NCL's extortionate rates, even after the reduction.

I was able to look in my paper work when making notes of things to do after making my final payment. The case of 24 bottles was $70.74. It still is amazing what they charge for the bottles. In my local stores' date=' prices run from $1 - $1.49 for liter bottles of that brand. Last year, I paid $5 for 12 half liter bottles (= 6L) on the Carnival Pride. It is still going to cost me just under $18 on the Epic. But I still need to make the purchase. I was told that in Europe when you go out to eat they charge for water.[/quote']

You can get 1 liter bottles of Aquafina locally for $1 - $1.49? The regular price at my local Von's / Safeway supermarket is $1.99.

That's still a lot cheaper than the NCL rip off prices, but it's less painful when you know how stupid-expensive that size bottle of Aquafina is (we buy ours from Costco so we'd never pay that high a price normally).

aquafina-water-tag-only.jpg.253dfae01d08d2e0632ca3db8f27411d.jpg

That's crazy! Can we bring our own water? That's insane! We are a family of 6 that does NOT DRINK soda...just water...that's crazyyyyyy?? Anyone?

You can no longer bring water on board. NCL's current prices are lower than that now, but still very, very expensive. And except for the Pride of Hawai'i, they all come in the large 1 liter (about 34 ounce) bottles.

So your alternatives are to drink the water out of the tap that tastes like pool water (to me, anyway), or the water from the buffet, restaurants and bars. Some people have used those water bottles with built in filters like the Brita brand and say they work really well at removing the chlorine taste. NCL still let's you bring those on board.

BTW - I noticed that NCL updated their website and no longer posts the water prices at https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/bottled-water-packages I guess even they are embarrassed by them.

The whole bottled water mania is nuts.

You are drinking, in almost all cases, city water that is run through a filtration system (you see the PWS on the label? That means Public Water Source). Then, if you insist on name brands, like Aquafina, paying .50 to .75 more per bottle for a silly label.

The water on the ship? Comes from either a Public Water Source (pumped on in port) or sea water. Then purified through a filtration system.

Bottled water, with the exception of a few spring sources which are ridiculously expensive, is a scam, folks. Read the research. To pay Supermarket prices is nuts, NCL prices are even more insane.

That's crazy! Can we bring our own water? That's insane! We are a family of 6 that does NOT DRINK soda...just water...that's crazyyyyyy?? Anyone?
No you can not bring your own water, but you can bring refillable bottles and get water at the buffet. The buffet also has iced tea, lemonade and flavored waters.

I was just saying the same thing "That's Crazy!" I've never been on a cruise and now i have to wonder, IF they are not providing water, What do they provide?

I was just saying the same thing "That's Crazy!" I've never been on a cruise and now i have to wonder, IF they are not providing water, What do they provide?
They provide water. You can get it for free at the buffet or any of the bars or you can purchase bottle water. So, I'm not understanding why you are saying they don't provide water. Anyway, welcome to Cruise Critic. Edited by NLH Arizona

Never had an issue with the tap water on board. Probably cleaner than most public water systems. If you do decide to fill some type of water bottle, please, please heed the signs about NOT filling the bottle from any of the dispensers! All it takes is for a few bottle openings that have had lips on them to touch the dispenser to possibly spread something. I watched way too many people disregard the signs to the point where I wouldn't get anything from them. Bring a small funnel or fill clean glass to dump in your bottle. Thanks!

You are drinking, in almost all cases, city water that is run through a filtration system (you see the PWS on the label? That means Public Water Source). Then, if you insist on name brands, like Aquafina, paying .50 to .75 more per bottle for a silly label.

The water on the ship? Comes from either a Public Water Source (pumped on in port) or sea water. Then purified through a filtration system.

Bottled water, with the exception of a few spring sources which are ridiculously expensive, is a scam, folks. Read the research. To pay Supermarket prices is nuts, NCL prices are even more insane.

Why do you care?

It is not a scam, and it's not a "mania". People know they are buying water. Even if they haven't investigated all the technical details, they know it tastes better, and they know each brand has it's own taste profile. They can taste the difference. Like someone who prefers a mid-priced Merlot over "three buck Chuck", they are exercising their freedom of choice and electing to spend their money on something they like.

Here are some comparable statements:

"All beer is the same, with the exact same alcohol content. Don't be stupid, people, buy the cheapest beer you can."

"I can't believe you would pay more than $3 a bottle for wine. In fact, why are you even buying wine in a bottle? It's an environmental disaster, and much harder to transport, store, and use. You should be buying wine in a box, as it's more environmentally friendly. All wine has the exact same alcohol content, and it is all made from grapes. Get over your wine mania."

"I can't believe you pay more for a steak. Buy hamburger. It's often from the same cow. Read the label .... it's "beef" for heaven's sake."

People who like bottled water like it. People who like gambling like it. People who like cruising like it. What we don't like is someone pontificating about how stupid we are to like something we like.

The water situation on NCL is getting out of hand. I mean they are a cruise line, how much money do they want to make off of water? I mean I don't get their thinking and none of the lines to my surprise did not follow the lead and ban water or anything else from coming on board. I hear RCI is as lenient as ever with bringing beverages on board. Is the profit from this worth the bad mouthing, bad threads, complaining, and overall passenger dissatisfaction?

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

I had purchased a 12-ok at the old price, called NCL and they couldn't give me a price credit. I had to cancel the order, get the original amount credited back to my card, and repurchase at the new, cheaper price.

What a bureaucratic nightmare:(

To each their own! We do not like chlorine or floride in our water so are very careful about our water choices. Neither of us drink soda, water is our beverage of choice. People will pay $3.50 to $4.00 for a soda but complain about paying the same for a bottle of water. We don't get that logic!!

Pat