Sushi in lido

spintowin

I have mainly seen the Lido sushi presented as a selection of three pieces on a single plate that provides a special space for mixing soy and the dab of "wasabi" you get on the plate along with pickled ginger. Sometimes three pieces of the same kind either all rolls or all raw fish nigiri, some times a mix of rolls, sometimes a mix of rolls and raw fish nigiri. Keep checking back, they plate selections get refreshed frequently. Chop sticks available.

I usually take two plates. And will go back for more too. I have not seen that lovely full display in the above photo on any of my recent cruises. But the sushi I have at the Lido had has been very good, very fresh and the most velvety raw fish toppings ever.

A few years ago the sushi was cold, hard, congealed and tasteless. It is excellent now. And if you get up to the Eurodam/Neiuw Amsterdam class ships and beyond you get a full pan-asian restaurant which willl be in sushi heaven.

I have mainly seen the Lido sushi presented as a selection of three pieces on a single plate that provides a special space for mixing soy and the dab of "wasabi" you get on the plate along with pickled ginger. Sometimes three pieces of the same kind either all rolls or all raw fish nigiri, some times a mix of rolls, sometimes a mix of rolls and raw fish nigiri. Keep checking back, they plate selections get refreshed frequently. Chop sticks available.

I usually take two plates. And will go back for more too. I have not seen that lovely full display in the above photo on any of my recent cruises. But the sushi I have at the Lido had has been very good, very fresh and the most velvety raw fish toppings ever.

A few years ago the sushi was cold, hard, congealed and tasteless. It is excellent now. And if you get up to the Eurodam/Neiuw Amsterdam class ships and beyond you get a full pan-asian restaurant which willl be in sushi heaven.

This is the way it was for us on Maasdam last month and this month. There were three types available everyday. Decent, but not many changes from day to day.

Know that all the sushi served in the Lido and TAmarind is frozen. Makes sense since fresh fish will not last an entire cruise. The waitress in Tamarind confirmed this. As far as the Lido goes the sushi is ok....definitely not "out of this world" type or the kind you get on shore from a top notch Japanese restaurant. Also much of the sushi in the Lido is the "vegetable" sushi if you like that.

Know that all the sushi served in the Lido and TAmarind is frozen. Makes sense since fresh fish will not last an entire cruise. The waitress in Tamarind confirmed this. As far as the Lido goes the sushi is ok....definitely not "out of this world" type or the kind you get on shore from a top notch Japanese restaurant.

I'm not sure where you live, but in the US, all raw fish used in sushi and sashimi MUST be frozen first, as mandated by the FDA. This regulation states, in part, that fish intended to be consumed raw must be “frozen and stored at a temperature of -20°C (-4°F) or below for a minimum of 168 hours (7 days)”. This is to avoid exposure to potentially ugly parasites.

So any sushi you eat in top restaurants is also prepared with frozen, not fresh, fish.

DH loves Sushi.

But on most ships it is not as good as what he can get at home.

Agree. No question about that, nor to be expected that it could match land-based restaurant quality and variety. Just a lot better than it was a few years ago when HAL first rolled it out. And certainly good enough for a welcome lunchtime choice, and a Tamarind bonus if you get a sushi craving.

At least here in Belgium, ALL sushi or "raw" fish served in restaurants has to be frozen for at least 48 hours in -20 degrees Celcius ( or 15 hours -35degrees) unless the fish is handled by a certificated Sushi Master ( who can recognize Nematodes and avoid contact between flesh and intestines when preparing a whole fish) . This certificate takes years to obtain apparantly and I even think the courses are taken in Japan.

The raw fish must also be kept at all times, when not frozen, in temperatures between 0 and 2 degrees, and made sushi at a maximum of 4 degrees.

I'm not sure where you live, but in the US, all raw fish used in sushi and sashimi MUST be frozen first, as mandated by the FDA. This regulation states, in part, that fish intended to be consumed raw must be “frozen and stored at a temperature of -20°C (-4°F) or below for a minimum of 168 hours (7 days)”. This is to avoid exposure to potentially ugly parasites.

So any sushi you eat in top restaurants is also prepared with frozen, not fresh, fish.

Actually, there's an exception for tuna, which is an exceptionally clean fish. However, a lot of tuna is frozen for extra safety.

There's also an exception for shellfish.

Sushi has been available on all of our cruises since 2008:

IMG_0928.jpg

I've never seen that kind of sushi spread on a HAL ship. Last cruise it was as another poster described, 3 pieces on individual plates. And I don't think there was the variety that this picture suggests, either.