Capri from Napl

whenthecatsaway

Will be in Naples on 9th June. Last time we were there we felt compelled to go see Pompeii but felt rather uneasy afterwards in the city so returned to the ship.

This time, I'm considering Capri (or am open to suggestions) and wondered how easy it might be for me to do that independently.

Appreciate the advice [emoji106]🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Capri is very easy to do on your own. Ferries depart from the dock next to where the cruise ships tie up. (Which means you may be very close or further away if your ship is at one of the further spots....)

The ferry takes about an hour. When you arrive at Capri, it's a good idea to go ahead and purchase your return ticket for the ferry back, just to avoid the potential for a "sellout" where you'd have to wait for the next boat...

Lots of good info on this forum if you search old posts, and also at this site for Capri:http://www.capri.net/

Capri is very easy to do on your own. Ferries depart from the dock next to where the cruise ships tie up. (Which means you may be very close or further away if your ship is at one of the further spots....)

The ferry takes about an hour. When you arrive at Capri, it's a good idea to go ahead and purchase your return ticket for the ferry back, just to avoid the potential for a "sellout" where you'd have to wait for the next boat...

Lots of good info on this forum if you search old posts, and also at this site for Capri:http://www.capri.net/

Cruisemom said it all, and so eloquently :). We would only add a minor thing which has to do with when you purchase a return ticket to Naples (on Capri). There are actually two different ferry destinations in Naples and you want to make sure you get a return ticket to "Molo Beverello" which is the terminal right next to the cruise ships. The other ferry terminal (Beverello) is a couple of miles away from the cruise ships and is best avoided.

Hank

You can also buy the return ticket in Naples.

steamboats

Correct. But the reason many recommend waiting until you arrive at Capri is that you may have a wider selection of choices on timing. (The ticket window at Naples will only sell you returns for the specific line that you're taking to Capri, but there's more than one line operating.... hence, more choices.

Cruisemom said it all, and so eloquently :). We would only add a minor thing which has to do with when you purchase a return ticket to Naples (on Capri). There are actually two different ferry destinations in Naples and you want to make sure you get a return ticket to "Molo Beverello" which is the terminal right next to the cruise ships. The other ferry terminal (Beverello) is a couple of miles away from the cruise ships and is best avoided.

Hank

Thanks Hank. :)

And just noticed that you name the "other" ferry terminal above as Beverello (which is the terminal you DO want). The ferry terminal in Naples to avoid is called Mergellina.

Correct. But the reason many recommend waiting until you arrive at Capri is that you may have a wider selection of choices on timing. (The ticket window at Naples will only sell you returns for the specific line that you're taking to Capri, but there's more than one line operating.... hence, more choices.

Hank,

I know there is more than just one company. But I usually check the times prior to my trip and decide which ferry company and what time I will go with. So I don´t have to hassle with buying a return ticket in Capri. ;)

steamboats

Thanks Hank. :)

And just noticed that you name the "other" ferry terminal above as Beverello (which is the terminal you DO want). The ferry terminal in Naples to avoid is called Mergellina.

Oh My! A senior moment. So yes, cruisers do want Beverello and should generally avoid Mergellina! Sorry for the confusion.

As to why we usually buy the return ticket (to Naples) when we arrive on Capri...it has to do with the fact that there are multiple boat companies (usually 2) that run these fast jetboats/hydrofoils and the tickets are NOT interchangable between the lines. If you want to buy a return ticket in Naples....it means walking around among the various ticket windows and trying to figure out the various schedules. But on Capri, as you walk off the pier (where you arrive in Marina Grande) you will see a small ticket office that posts a schedule (in one place) of all the return boats. Buying there simplifies the process and makes it easier to see all your possible options.

The other question not asked is, No...the lines do not actually sell a "round trip" ticket. So no matter where you buy the tickets you will need one for each direction.

Hank

Hank,

I usually check with this website and pick my times. I usually go with the same company. But unless you have to hurry to catch the ferry, it´s no problem to buy a return ticket at the other window of the other company. It´s mainly N.L.G. or SNAV (caremar has the slow ferries only).

It doesn´t cost you more time than buying the return ticket upon arrival as long as you know what time you want to return.

steamboats

Hank,

I usually check with this website and pick my times. I usually go with the same company. But unless you have to hurry to catch the ferry, it´s no problem to buy a return ticket at the other window of the other company. It´s mainly N.L.G. or SNAV (caremar has the slow ferries only).

It doesn´t cost you more time than buying the return ticket upon arrival as long as you know what time you want to return.

steamboats

And you can certainly do that, which can mean waiting in too different lines (which can cause delays if its a busy day). But that means moving between several windows and checking multiple schedules. Meanwhile, you might miss a hydrofoil and be delayed around an hour until another boat :). In our case we usually quickly walk over to the ferry terminal, buy a ticket on the next hydrofoil/jetboat...and get on the boat :). Once on Capri, as we are walking off the pier we simply stop at the ticket office (there is normally nobody in line) and purchase a return ticket on the boat that is closest to our desired return time. But there is certainly no reason why one can't buy both tickets if they do not mind the slight delay....and know what they want!

Regarding the other post about "ferries" versus the high speed jetboats/hydrofoils.....we would never recommend taking those slower ferries....which are primarily for folks with vehicles. The high speed boats make the crossing in about 50-55 minutes....or about half the time (or more) of the slow ferries. And those slow car ferries do not run very often...when compared to the 2 companies currently operating the high speed passenger boats.

We didn't want to waste a lot of time and took the hydrofoil to Capri. It was less than 1/2 the time and was smoother than the ferry when the water was rough. :cool:

I know I'm guilty of referring to the hydrofoils as ferries, as I suspect many others do. Not many people take the ferries when the hydrofoils run more frequently and are much faster. (Still takes an hour from Naples, however...)

Hank,

Yes, you can do that too. But as I said before I usually pick my times with the same company so I don´t have to switch the windows. And as I said before if you have enough time until your boat departs you can buy a ticket already in Naples (with a different company). Sure I won´t do that in case my boat is departing in 5 min. That´s why I have a print out of the times and companies with me and pick my boats ahead ;). Usually the next available boat had a return trip at my desired time (and usually I go with a boat by 8 am or 8:30 am).

cruisemom42, hydrofoils are ferries too ;).

steamboats

Hank,

Yes, you can do that too. But as I said before I usually pick my times with the same company so I don´t have to switch the windows. And as I said before if you have enough time until your boat departs you can buy a ticket already in Naples (with a different company). Sure I won´t do that in case my boat is departing in 5 min. That´s why I have a print out of the times and companies with me and pick my boats ahead ;). Usually the next available boat had a return trip at my desired time (and usually I go with a boat by 8 am or 8:30 am).

cruisemom42, hydrofoils are ferries too ;).

steamboats

Must admit that our travel habits are a bit weird (for many folks) because we do very little real planning....but rather just have a good idea of our options. Sometimes we don't know what we will do until it happens :). Regarding the ferries, one time we walked over and planned to grab the next hydrofoil (we won;t call it a ferry so as not to flamed) but happened to notice that there was a jetboat leaving for Ischia in a few minutes. So rather than go to Capri...we decided to go to Ischia (on the spur of the moment). Last year, when in Naples, we thought about taking a boat over to Procida....but when we got to the ferry terminal we had missed the early boat and there was a 2 hour wait until the next boat to Procida. So we just kept walking into town and enjoyed a full day in Naples.

It is even crazier when we have a car and are doing long driving trips (usually at least a month) in Europe. Sometimes we don;t even know what country we will end the day in.....until we get there :). I guess its why we truly love independent travel...because we are not tied to a specific itinerary and generally do not have any commitments to others (such as when with a group). Many times we will totally revamp any kind of day plans based on the weather. In Naples, if we had thought about going to Pompeii...we might change our mind if its very hot and humid. Of if its a rainy day we might totally change our planning to spend some time in museums (and do the opposite on beautiful days).

This makes for interesting dinner discussions on cruises (we love to share large tables with new found friends). Somebody might ask us "what are you doing tomorrow" and DW will say, "we haven't the foggiest!" This has led to some really fantastic days since we can easily change our plans on the fly. About the only thing we do book far in advance are rental cars (which can later be canceled if we change our minds).

Hank

• 10 months later...

We have been to Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano and we planning to go to Capri when we dock in Naples in July 2018. After reading Rick Steves review on Capri during the peak months, we are unsure. Any words of advice? Is it unbearably crowded in July? Should we look to spend the day elsewhere?

It is extremely crowded but it's still possible to get away from the masses if you want to.

Capri town will be crowded as will the main drag in Anacapri but if you get past these areas you can enjoy some elbow room.

You'll need to spend a little money to do this but the first thing I would recommend to get away from everyone else is to grab a taxi at Marina Grande rather than wait in the line for the funicolare. Go immediately to Anacapri before everyone else gets up there, then work your way back down the island throughout the day.

If you want to take the chair lift up Monte Solaro I would do that first thing, before the line forms later in the morning.

Hank,

steamboats

On the website you referred to, are the ones listed as "high Speed ferry" the hydrofoils? Also, what time should we plan to leave Capri if our ship leaves at 7pm?

On the website you referred to, are the ones listed as "high Speed ferry" the hydrofoils? Also, what time should we plan to leave Capri if our ship leaves at 7pm?

Yes, the Hydrofoils are the high speed ferries. I wouldn´t leave later than 5 pm. It takes about an hour to get back to Naples. You have to be back onboard by 6:30 pm. Anyway I usually pick a ferry between 3 and 4 pm to be absolutely on the safe side. And usually I´m worn out by that time anyway. We try to get the earliest ferry to Capri we can reach - 8 or 8:30 am.

steamboats

thanks for your prompt answer. Another question. Some websites recommend doing a 2 hour boat trip around the island first, (we do not want to go to blue grotto) then taking public buses to the towns, skyride, then walking back down to Marina Grande.

Do you think we would have enough time for all this or should we skip the boatride.

Some websites recommend doing a 2 hour boat trip around the island first, (we do not want to go to blue grotto) then taking public buses to the towns, skyride, then walking back down to Marina Grande. Do you think we would have enough time for all this or should we skip the boatride.

Assuming you head right over to Capri in the morning, arriving around 9 AM, you have plenty of time to do it all, if you want to, depending somewhat on the crowds that day.

Using public transportation is inexpensive financially but it's costly in terms of time, so you have to decide what's most important to you. Taxis are expensive but they're also a lot of fun (read about them here: http://www.capri.net/en/getting-around) and will save you time, a precious commodity on a port day.

You don't have to worry about long lines or traffic jams on the water so I would leave the boat ride until later in the day, to be most efficient with my time. I would get off the ferry in the morning and get right in a taxi and head up to Anacapri and the chairlift up Mt. Solaro, bypassing the majority of day trippers who head, lemming like, to the line for the funicolare.

Can be done in one day!

Never done the boat ride but considered it last time. But then our ship went around the island more or less (and we anchored off Marina Grande). So there was no need to do the boat ride.

Just a slight warning: The Scala Fenicia from Anacapri down to Marina Grande is a very scenic walk but it is very steep and all steps. So if you do have any knee problems don´t do it!

You can see photos of our "boat" trip and the Scala Fenicia here.

Another warning: The public busses are mini busses and the ride up to Anacapri can also be a little scary. Walls are coming close or there aren´t any walls on the side and it goes down steep. I love it :-).

steamboats

• 4 months later...

Hi. Hank

Is it possible to do Sorrento and Capri in one day and how? Thanksto

Must admit that our travel habits are a bit weird (for many folks) because we do very little real planning....but rather just have a good idea of our options. Sometimes we don't know what we will do until it happens :). Regarding the ferries, one time we walked over and planned to grab the next hydrofoil (we won;t call it a ferry so as not to flamed) but happened to notice that there was a jetboat leaving for Ischia in a few minutes. So rather than go to Capri...we decided to go to Ischia (on the spur of the moment). Last year, when in Naples, we thought about taking a boat over to Procida....but when we got to the ferry terminal we had missed the early boat and there was a 2 hour wait until the next boat to Procida. So we just kept walking into town and enjoyed a full day in Naples.

It is even crazier when we have a car and are doing long driving trips (usually at least a month) in Europe. Sometimes we don;t even know what country we will end the day in.....until we get there :). I guess its why we truly love independent travel...because we are not tied to a specific itinerary and generally do not have any commitments to others (such as when with a group). Many times we will totally revamp any kind of day plans based on the weather. In Naples, if we had thought about going to Pompeii...we might change our mind if its very hot and humid. Of if its a rainy day we might totally change our planning to spend some time in museums (and do the opposite on beautiful days).

This makes for interesting dinner discussions on cruises (we love to share large tables with new found friends). Somebody might ask us "what are you doing tomorrow" and DW will say, "we haven't the foggiest!" This has led to some really fantastic days since we can easily change our plans on the fly. About the only thing we do book far in advance are rental cars (which can later be canceled if we change our minds).

Hank