bags in grocery stores??

Hi all

Sorry for posting such a trivial question. I was thinking about our shopping trip to Aldi/Coles/Woolies in Sydney and realized I wasn't sure about the bags at groceries. Is it like Europe where you either bring your own or they charge for the bag? Or like here in the US--bag is free, paper or plastic? I have a canvas bag I will bring for wine, can easily pack another for the market, just want to know which.

Thanks for your help

ML

Hi all

Sorry for posting such a trivial question. I was thinking about our shopping trip to Aldi/Coles/Woolies in Sydney and realized I wasn't sure about the bags at groceries. Is it like Europe where you either bring your own or they charge for the bag? Or like here in the US--bag is free, paper or plastic? I have a canvas bag I will bring for wine, can easily pack another for the market, just want to know which.

Thanks for your help

ML

ML,

Plastic bags are provided at Coles and Woolies, at Aldi you would have to purchase one for a small cost perhaps a dollar or take your own.

Leigh

Coles sell plastic bags at the check outs, think AUD0.15 each. There are Cooler bags that are insulated and zip closed for AUD$2.50, and other bags, generally about AUD$2-3 with different designs, some supporting a designated charity. Am sure on the 1st 2 types as I've personally bought them recently, a bit hazy on price with the others.

HTH

Hi all

Thanks for your help

ML

The most important bag to take along to the supermarket is your handbag, because that is where the funds are to pay for your purchases that will fill the other bags.

But for goodness sake don't call anyone an "Old bag" as that will just invite trouble.

I bought two- Woolworths for a dollar and Coles for $3.

I prefer the jute bags which I didn't see at Woolworths. And it said "my bag is better than your bag " which made me smile.

I use them at home all the time and sometimes instead of a handbag [emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks everyone for your insight. I posted late last night here and was too tired to stay up and read all the comments. I will bring a canvas bag for our purchases, much like I do for some stores here.

I appreciate all your replies.

ML

Thanks everyone for your insight. I posted late last night here and was too tired to stay up and read all the comments. I will bring a canvas bag for our purchases, much like I do for some stores here.

I appreciate all your replies.

ML

Not long to go now.

Not long to go now.

yes, soon you will be rid of me and my incessant, and sometimes controversial, posts (remember the one about rugby/soccer/football) :D

thanks Mic for all your help, very helpful and we appreciate the time you take.

ML

Coles sell plastic bags at the check outs, think AUD0.15 each. There are Cooler bags that are insulated and zip closed for AUD$2.50, and other bags, generally about AUD$2-3 with different designs, some supporting a designated charity. Am sure on the 1st 2 types as I've personally bought them recently, a bit hazy on price with the others.

HTH

the green ones at coles are $1 and others range from 2-3 dollars depending on type etc and yes 15 cents for the plastic ones

I will bring a canvas bag for our purchases, much like I do for some stores here.

If you have cruised with Princess and have one of their blue tote bags that would be ideal.

You can then have it over your shoulder anytime you get off the ship or during embarkation.

For some reason the ship's photographers will then likely leave you alone.

yes, soon you will be rid of me and my incessant, and sometimes controversial, posts (remember the one about rugby/soccer/football) :D

ML

No worries, I just hope all goes well and the weather is kind for your visit.:D

Yes the green Jute bags are $1, these are the ones that sit in the kitchen, growing by the week, because when we go shopping, we always forget to take them. So hence-forth we buy more just to increase the ever growing pile of discarded and forgotten bag pile. Until we jump in to action, and use them to store an ever increasing pile of junk and accumulated crap.

Then we have to decide where to store these bags. Usually in the back shed, cellar, or spare room.

We satisfy ourselves with the knowledge that we have done the right thing, because its now a tidy and confined junk-pile, all in green or blue pretty bags.

The justification comes in the form off searching through said bags and finding some obscure item that would cost 50 cents, and saying mmmh glad I filled a room with this crap, I just saved 50 cents and spent 4 hrs looking for it.:):)

Yes the green Jute bags are $1, these are the ones that sit in the kitchen, growing by the week, because when we go shopping, we always forget to take them. So hence-forth we buy more just to increase the ever growing pile of discarded and forgotten bag pile. Until we jump in to action, and use them to store an ever increasing pile of junk and accumulated crap.

Then we have to decide where to store these bags. Usually in the back shed, cellar, or spare room.

We satisfy ourselves with the knowledge that we have done the right thing, because its now a tidy and confined junk-pile, all in green or blue pretty bags.

The justification comes in the form off searching through said bags and finding some obscure item that would cost 50 cents, and saying mmmh glad I filled a room with this crap, I just saved 50 cents and spent 4 hrs looking for it.:):)

LOL, I think yu have just described aspects we have all experienced in some way.

ML

You must be getting excited.

Enjoy your visit.

You must be getting excited.

Enjoy your visit.

Trying to, but then I remember I still have to clean the house for the dog sitter and that calms me down :D

Are you back from your fab cruise? If so, how was it? I hope you (and Mrs Gut and Ms Gut) enjoyed it (although I think I read you had some back issues initially--hope that straightened out (sorry, couldn't resist the pun) :)

Thanks for all your helpful advice and tips. I have been keeping a file of all the responses I got here for my questions for the past year. Now, we have several friends who are taking cruises down under and want my file!! They thank all of you also.

Cheers

ML

PS: Could you all do something about all the rain?? Not on my schedule!

Trying to, but then I remember I still have to clean the house for the dog sitter and that calms me down :D

Are you back from your fab cruise? If so, how was it? I hope you (and Mrs Gut and Ms Gut) enjoyed it (although I think I read you had some back issues initially--hope that straightened out (sorry, couldn't resist the pun) :)

Thanks for all your helpful advice and tips. I have been keeping a file of all the responses I got here for my questions for the past year. Now, we have several friends who are taking cruises down under and want my file!! They thank all of you also.

Cheers

ML

PS: Could you all do something about all the rain?? Not on my schedule!

Far too short, and having lost two days basically restricted to bed made it even shorter, but other wise very enjoyable.

If your friends have an more questions don't hesitate to yell.

Just within the last week a bloke found a one year old lottery/lotto ticket in the bottom of an old shopping bag. Took it to newsagency...now a millionaire.:') So best check your stockpile of green bags!

Wow, great story but not for the original owner of the ticket.