Carnival Splendor?

Yes We Can

I guarantee when that ship hits the dock in Miami they will have team of mechanics all over at engine in seconds. On board mechanics probably are already diagnosed it and know what parts they need to fix it and they will have parts flown in and ready at the dock when she docks Sunday morning. If that team of mechanics has to spend the next cruise on that ship fixing it during the cruise they will.

Just like a car engine, ship engines break down too. It happens

Does anyone know if they totally change the itinerary of we have the option of cancelling with a full refund? I would rather cancel and go at a later time than spend 7 days going to Key West and the Bahamas.

Cosmo- if they are making substantial changes like that BEFORE you embark, they usually give you the option to cancel and reschedule. If they make the changes DURING your cruise, it's usually OBC and potentially future cruise credit- depends on how impacted your cruise is. In this case, 2 major ports were missed because of mechanical issues so they gave them 25% FCC. If it's an act of God, like weather or something, they usually give much less.

I am onboard right now. The compensation they are offering seems ridiculous, considering last week they gave cruisers on the Glory 25% off their cruise and 50% off a future cruise because their water slide was under construction. Meanwhile, we have had a really rough, bumpy first few days while the engine gave its last breaths, and now hasn't half the cruise cancelled.

I am onboard right now. The compensation they are offering seems ridiculous, considering last week they gave cruisers on the Glory 25% off their cruise and 50% off a future cruise because their water slide was under construction. Meanwhile, we have had a really rough, bumpy first few days while the engine gave its last breaths, and now hasn't half the cruise cancelled.

50% off fcc for a slide not working last week on the Glory, and you all are offered 25% FCC for a broken ship and missing 2 ports? Carnival is responsible for the proper mechanics of its ships. It would seem 50% would be more appropriate.

(Yes I know the contract says Carnival doesn't have to give you anything for any issues encountered.)

I am on the Splendor now. Yes, only one engine is working. The other is completely dead. We are only going about 15 mph back to Miami. From my understanding, this won't be a quick fix. My guess is that the 3/5 sailing will only include ports close to Miami, maybe key west or Bahamas. They have only offered $100 pp shipboard credit (which is just the refunded port fees for two missed ports), and 25% discount off next cruise. Many guests are very upset and senior staff will be meeting with us again this afternoon to let us know what carnival admin will do further to compensate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife is onboard and she just texted me saying it is now 50% off this cruise and 50% off a future cruise. This is much better in my opinion even though we will never sail Carnival ever again. My wife said the food and service have both been poor on this cruise and their cabin and balcony is dirty. Looking forward to our HAL cruise this Sunday as long as my wife makes it back on time.

Update: Carnival will be giving those of us on the ship now a 50% refund for our cruise fare, and a 50% credit off a future cruise. I feel that is very fair. On a side note, however, we are starting to smell sewage!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Update: Carnival will be giving those of us on the ship now a 50% refund for our cruise fare, and a 50% credit off a future cruise. I feel that is very fair. On a side note, however, we are starting to smell sewage!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why would you smell sewage if there's an engine problem? I don't think one has anything to do with the other.

Nothing about the propulsion system has anything to do with sewage smell??... coincidence only... run some water in the drains (especially the one in the bathroom floor) report the smell to GS so they can have the drains wetted as this cuts down on smells. But there is nothing wrong with the engines, ship systems, plumbing etc... a prop is not working, that is it... don't try to make this into a poop cruise comparison, it is nothing of the sort.

Nothing about the propulsion system has anything to do with sewage smell??... coincidence only... run some water in the drains (especially the one in the bathroom floor) report the smell to GS so they can have the drains wetted as this cuts down on smells. But there is nothing wrong with the engines, ship systems, plumbing etc... a prop is not working, that is it... don't try to make this into a poop cruise comparison, it is nothing of the sort.

How would you know what's going on with the ship? Are you an engineer on board?

Why would you smell sewage if there's an engine problem? I don't think one has anything to do with the other.

Engine supplies power to all the pumps on the ship. My guess is with one engine down, there would be a negative trickle down effect on other ship functions besides cruising speed.

I'm just reporting what is happening here and what I experiencing. It seems you are the one making more out of it than it is. I am also not the only one smelling it.

Sorry, I just have seen how things balloon on this board and next thing u know misinformation... did not mean to jump on you. I have no doubt that you smell sewage, it happens, but all indications are that the issue with speed is in the propulsion system. The emergency generator is not fired up and all other systems are working so any sewage smell,is coincidental. I have contacts in the marine industry which have verified this. Now, Sewage smells onboard Usually are related to the drain traps drying out. Try running water through all of yours, and call GC so they can wet any nearby traps. There are also certain areas of ships that have a tendency for those smells... but unless there was a fire or major multi system failure, propulsion issues will not impact hotel systems... sorry your cruise is impacted... it sucks when things like this happen. Hope you can enjoy it anyway.

Engine supplies power to all the pumps on the ship. My guess is with one engine down, there would be a negative trickle down effect on other ship functions besides cruising speed.

Technically, the engines supply power to the generators... the generators in turn supply power to the ship systems... ships have 6 engines with one generally under maintenance. Under full power they usually need 4 for propulsion and all ship systems... The fact that all ship systems are working fully and one prop is at full rotation with the other one not spinning at all, I would venture it is isolated as a problem with the propulsion system, motor, shaft, drive but in any case, isolated to the propulsion system... which would not have any effect on plumbing.