Would you send a big family of first-time cruisers on the Splendor?

Carleeb12

One of my friends asked me to help her pick out a cruise for her family (22 people). Airfare to CA is the least expensive, so I was considering recommending a cruise out of Long Beach, and the Splendor looks like the newest ship over there. Just wondering if this is a good ship or if I should look into other options for them. It looks like it doesn't have the FunShip 2.0 upgrades, but I don't know if this should be a deal-breaker or not.

sailed Splendor from LB years back (now it's coming back). Great ship, large size, lots to do and the Mexican Riviera is an easy cruise to enjoy and have fun on.

we prefer the 2 days Cabo and 1 day Puerto. the other cruises are equally good (overnight in Puerto 1 day Cabo, or all three ports of Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto).

check Trip Advisor for fun things to do in each port. truly, this is a fun and easy cruise to partake and enjoy. and the ship is plenty big and never felt crowded.

First timers have nothing to compare to so it really should boil down to convenience for them I would think. You are very brave doing the legwork on this cruise (unless you are going as well) and truthfully someone from that group really should be involved in the research and choices. I say this because I have learned from past experience that every little thing that will go wrong at some point (and there will be things) will come back to haunt you. Someone in that group of 22 will have some complaint (the size of the group is against you and WILL be complainers in there somewhere as cruising is not for everyone) and it will all fall back on you.

Best thing you can do for yourself would be bring at least one or two of the group into your research and start to transfer over the responsibility and knowledge as its gathered. The others in the group will then have a point of contact with people in their own group to fall back on and that includes complaints.

The first time I helped a family (friends) with their first cruise a few years back I helped with most of the planning as we had been cruising for a while and it was easy for me. The weather did not cooperate for a couple days of the cruise and several people in the group that went with them were sick. To this day it is brought up about how much they hate cruising (this was their one cruise) and dont know how anyone would spend money to do it etc....now if someone asks about cruising, I forward the link for CCL website and the link to cruise critic to the main person asking (or sometimes to a couple of the people in the group and leave it at that). I do this even if we happen to be going on same cruise, hand over information and then take care of only our reservations and plans, lesson learned and noted!!!

You didn't explain the extent of your involvement with this family group, but my advice with a group this big is to definitely turn the whole thing over to a travel agent. They can advise as to special pricing and deals, cabin choice, etc.

Roz

One of my friends asked me to help her pick out a cruise for her family (22 people). Airfare to CA is the least expensive, so I was considering recommending a cruise out of Long Beach, and the Splendor looks like the newest ship over there. Just wondering if this is a good ship or if I should look into other options for them. It looks like it doesn't have the FunShip 2.0 upgrades, but I don't know if this should be a deal-breaker or not.

Splendor is an older ship, with unusual decor. It is being sold to another cruise line in 2019, I think. Some people love it. I personally would recommend a different ship for a family group for the FIRST time. Look at one of the ships out of Galveston, maybe that is closer location for them.

Splendor is an older ship, with unusual decor. It is being sold to another cruise line in 2019, I think. Some people love it. I personally would recommend a different ship for a family group for the FIRST time. Look at one of the ships out of Galveston, maybe that is closer location for them.

What makes the decor unusual? I have never been a fan of the decor on any of the Carnival ships until the Breeze came along (The Liberty wasn't so bad). So much neon. How does the decor on the Splendor differ from Carnival ships prior to 2012?

What makes the decor unusual? I have never been a fan of the decor on any of the Carnival ships until the Breeze came along (The Liberty wasn't so bad). So much neon. How does the decor on the Splendor differ from Carnival ships prior to 2012?

Pink, pink & more pink. I didn't mind it, but it is overwhelming pink zebra stripe circles everywhere. The elevator doors appeared to have pink donuts on them IMO. The ship is like the Conquest class in the fact that there are a couple of decks that you cannot go from front to back on- the galley is in the middle of decks 3 & 4 I think. So you have to go to deck 5, 9 or 10-- to go from one end of the ship to the other. There may be other decks, but 5,9 & 10 are most convenient IMO. The ship did feel crowded most of the time in public areas. I felt the crew did a great job. I did not care for the cruise director we had, but of course cruise directors change.

Also with a large family/friends group I would recommend the "HUB" app on any ship. For a $5. per cruise, per device fee there is a chat feature within the Hub app that allows passengers to communicate with each other,

Breeze and Vista are the only two ships with new decor style by different decorator.

All ships built before 2012, which includes the Splendor(2007), have been designed by Italian artist Farcus. It was originally built for a different cruise company based in Europe. Carnival ended up buying it. It is same basic plan as other Conquest series ships, like Liberty, but decor is different. You can do a search here on CC..... go over to right margin and scroll down. ... there is a list of all ships, click on Splendor. Lots and lots of trip reports with PHOTOS.

Breeze and Vista are the only two ships with new decor style by different decorator.

All ships built before 2012, which includes the Splendor(2007), have been designed by Italian artist Farcus. It was originally built for a different cruise company based in Europe. Carnival ended up buying it. It is same basic plan as other Conquest series ships, like Liberty, but decor is different. You can do a search here on CC..... go over to right margin and scroll down. ... there is a list of all ships, click on Splendor. Lots and lots of trip reports with PHOTOS.

Sunshine also has decor similar to Breeze and Vista.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's been a few years since I've been on the Splendor (the decor descriptions are coming back to me after reading above). Overall, I like the Miracle more (esp. the location/layout of the Serenity, single MDR rather than two rooms separated by the galley which makes transit between levels a pain. ).

But there are some things to like about the Splendor. In particular, our crew (of 18), LOVED the indian/mediterranean station at the back of the lido. Also, the lido dining area has a second level that is less trafficked in the evening b/c food is not served there. Its a great place for playing games.

The Mexican Riveria has worked well for us--so much so that we;ve done it 7 times in the past 10 years. The three possible stops (Cabo, PV and Mazatlan) are very accessible and don't require spending $$ to see or do anything. All three have easily accessible beaches from port and getting to town in each one is a cinch.

People can easily do their own thing so you don't have to plan for the whole crew.

My lesson learned for such a big group are to make your plans on the ship and in port and do them without worrying about anyone else. Let people know what you are doing, and then go. Don't try to coordinate plans for everyone. If you do try to be the coordinator, what should be a relaxing vacation can turn into a logistical nightmare and sap the energy out of you. Have nearly strangled a few in-laws.

Maybe try to pick a spot to meet late in the day for buckets of beers and chips and salsa (can recommend Karlitos Cantina in cabo on the marina, and in PV we meet at the Cantina at the port), but other than that, go on your own. Send folks to the Mexican Riviera board on Cruise Critic and let them do their own homework.

The stories I could tell......

Splendor entered service in July 2008, so not that old. While I'm not a fan of this ship (sailed her three times), first time cruisers have nothing to compare it to so it will be great for them.

I would not recommend the Splendor. We just off n they are still sailing with one engine. I also did not care for the deco. The lido deck area is very small. The dining room looked like gawdy eggs on the ceiling. Just not a pretty ship. The crew were awesome. But I do not recommend this ship till they fix it right. Your group may end up repeating a Triumph tragedy if you do.