Solar Eclipse : A pictorial review of the Exotic Southern Caribbean

scubacruiserx2

With some recent close calls (Aussie season) and a few tragedies lately, I do like how most of the lines are providing kiddie swim vests by the pools now. Some even have life guards as well.

Yes it's about time . Aren't you cruising soon ?

Thank you so much for doing this review. I think you're the best of the best! I saw Pat briefly at the CC party and said to my DH "Where do we know that lady from?" and he had no idea because he doesn't follow CC. It wasn't until the next day that it dawned on me who she was and I did not see you or her the rest of the cruise! I regretted not having had the chance to come over to thank you for your awesome reviews.

At 4:50 we saw the Carnival Splendor headed our way

IMG_8630_zpslecgyzpa.jpg

looming large on the horizon

IMG_8636_zpspscsxios.jpg

Here's the video clip : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgn8BrrJIoeyp3pD3LqhoRA

It was headed away from the ocean toward the turning basin . 20 minutes later she reappeared heading rapidly toward the ocean .

IMG_8645_zpsftw4k3vq.jpg

IMG_8649_zpsnvgakxby.jpg

IMG_8653_zpsco8tbzmp.jpg

Meanwhile we were still moored to the pier with some of our lines beneath the Jewel's . It took about 30 minutes and they eventually used the fork lift to free us , snapping a line in the process .

IMG_8653_zpsco8tbzmp.jpg

Oops , I posted the wrong photo ! Here's the correct one .

Meanwhile we were still moored to the pier with some of our lines beneath the Jewel's . It took about 30 minutes and they eventually used the fork lift to free us , snapping a line in the process .

IMG_8656_zpshghtrek1.jpg

Yes it's about time . Aren't you cruising soon ?
Tomorrow morning, for a four night jaunt to Moreton Island which is South Queensland, just north of Brisbane and I plan to do some snorkelling around some wrecks. Rosie is already on the boat for a school reunion cruise.

IMG_8656_zpshghtrek1.jpg

That was a bit of a mistake, you would think that if they wanted to leave later they would need to be the bottom ropes.

Super , Nancy we're glad that you made it before the ship sailed ! And we will be showing you to your aft view cabin in just a few minutes . We hope that you brought your dive gear ( and camera ) , and thank you again for your generosity which we used to pay for our anniversary dinner in Murando . :) :D

DSC00730_zpskdcwbo9t.jpg

Dive gear and camera are aboard, charged up and ready to go! I have learned the hard way that the camera must be fully charged right before I use it! I made the mistake of thinking a fully charged battery a couple of weeks or so prior to use would be ok. Not so much. Good thing I listened to you and bought a spare! I am practicing with the camera on land for now. I'm making some progress with learning to navigate through it's various functions, but I need more practice to be comfortable with it.

I'm glad you were able to enjoy your anniversary in Murano. I expect you had already planned the dinner and I'm delighted that you were able to use your thank you gift to cover it. Exactly what I hoped you would do. :D

Thank you for the cabin and balcony pictures! I've marked them for reference when we are ready to book a cruise on Celebrity. I don't know yet when that will be, but between you and Bimmer09, I am ready to give Celebrity a try. We currently have a couple of land based trips coming up that we are really looking forward to, but they do get in the way of booking more cruises! :eek:

Now, let's get back to your Eclipse review. I am glad Bonaire is early in your cruise because I can't wait to hear about your dives there!

Tomorrow morning, for a four night jaunt to Moreton Island which is South Queensland, just north of Brisbane and I plan to do some snorkelling around some wrecks. Rosie is already on the boat for a school reunion cruise.

Bon Voyage Mic , we hope that you and Rosie have a great trip and some excellent snorkeling !! :) :D

Laugh if you like (DH did), but the bathroom was probably my favorite part of our cabin. There's just SO much storage in there! My over the door shoe holder stayed in the suitcase. And having doors instead of a shower curtain was a huge plus. The multi function spray head was nice too (concierge cabin)

We too enjoyed both the bathroom and the bed with the rounded end . But do favor the balcony with it's aft view ! :cool:

Thank you so much for doing this review. I think you're the best of the best! I saw Pat briefly at the CC party and said to my DH "Where do we know that lady from?" and he had no idea because he doesn't follow CC. It wasn't until the next day that it dawned on me who she was and I did not see you or her the rest of the cruise! I regretted not having had the chance to come over to thank you for your awesome reviews.

Mom ? I thought that you said that you weren't going to embarrass me on Cruise Critic ! :o

But seriously , what a nice thing to say and You did thank us !

Celebrity is the cruise line that is the most supportive of Cruise Critic and it shows at their M&G . Not only did they provided a nice room and refreshments

IMG_8968_zpsobbbf0g4.jpg

but more importantly , their charismatic Captain Leo and his officers attended and spoke . Their exuberant Cruise Director, Eddy hosted the event .

IMG_8970_zpsivkmtfhv.jpg

They also provided pre printed name tags and allowed the organizer of the Roll Call , Karen , to speak .

IMG_8974_zps4vazdjhs.jpg

They also said that they read Cruise Critic and so could I make a small suggestion ? Many people only know each other through their screen names choosing not to reveal their first or last names . And while I appreciate that they make name tags, could the name tags use our screen name first and if we choose , our real name like Karen's did ?

After our lines were retrieved we pushed off from the quay and into the channel

IMG_8667_zpsdret4r0q.jpg

As we headed west into the turning basin I noticed how small the Dade County Fire boat ( the green dot ) looked .

IMG_8674_zpsecjewewt.jpg

We saw a number of Yachts on the way out to sea including the 70 M Yacht Martha Ann

IMG_8680_zpso5bmjalm.jpg

There is also a large sculpture there called Awilda

IMG_8695_zpsygncffaa.jpg

As I was taking pictures of a building with a hole in it and a flying boat Pat asked me to look at a sign and what I thought of it

IMG_8702_zpsblf12iyr.jpg

My thoughts were that the model's blue dot wasn't very large

IMG_8697-001_zpsmkpymtjx.jpg

scubacruiserx2: Thanks for this insightful review with the great pix. Looking forward to more.++ I'm going on my first cruise in 11 years in a few months on the Equinox with my daughter, and this is a nice preview.

Wow , 11 years ? Much has changed in that time , most of it good with lots of choices for dining . And so congratulations on your upcoming cruise and stay tuned in , the best of the photos are yet to come ! :) :D

Joe

I WAS loving your review of our wonderful, wonderful cruise until I saw my picture.:eek:

I'm at that age where , when I pass a mirror, I look VERY quickly and think "Who the h*** is that old lady"?

Anyways, as far as the nametag, several years ago a wonderful Roll Call member made them for everyone on the Roll Call and I kept mine.

I agree with you and have requested the same thing - Cruise Critic "name" and first name so we could actually find each other.

• Haha 1

Joe

I WAS loving your review of our wonderful, wonderful cruise until I saw my picture.:eek:

I'm at that age where , when I pass a mirror, I look VERY quickly and think "Who the h*** is that old lady"?

Anyways, as far as the nametag, several years ago a wonderful Roll Call member made them for everyone on the Roll Call and I kept mine.

I agree with you and have requested the same thing - Cruise Critic "name" and first name so we could actually find each other.

I will second benjaminhuf's comment ! ;)

chamima: You look just fine! Elegant and sophisticated. And how wonderful you organized that for your cruise.

Along for the ride. I hope one day to do a longer cruise like this but at this time it's only a dream. Having to figure in US exchange on our terrible CAD $ and then having to add flight, it tends to be a lot pricier for us folks way up here in eastern Canada. Meanwhile I will live through your trip and settle for my shorter cruises when I can work them into the budget.

Soooooooooooooooooo jealous. :ship::loudcry:

My thoughts were that the model's blue dot wasn't very large

IMG_8697-001_zpsmkpymtjx.jpg

Hmm ... it would seem that even your timing of taking this picture is interesting with the positioning of the structure in front of the building ... light post or something ???? LOL

Just letting you know I have so enjoyed your reviews; I never have enough time to chime in but I am here. You have sailed quite a variety of ships!

Thanks for all of your time and giving me more ideas and notes for my bucket list. That list continues to grow!

Hmm ... it would seem that even your timing of taking this picture is interesting with the positioning of the structure in front of the building ... light post or something ???? LOL

A warm welcome to our friends up in Nova Scotia and welcome to your virtual cruise . My DW had a pair of binoculars and could see quite well whereas my camera only saw this .

IMG_8697-002_zpspx0kqy2b.jpg

Cropping the center of the photo made it look larger and the object in question appears to be a sculpture or a light post as seen in the original .

Just letting you know I have so enjoyed your reviews; I never have enough time to chime in but I am here. You have sailed quite a variety of ships!

Thanks for all of your time and giving me more ideas and notes for my bucket list. That list continues to grow!

Hello and welcome aboard and thank you for having the time to chime ! We are very fortunate to only live a hour and 15 minutes from Ft. Lauderdale and an hour and a half from Miami . It keeps our travel time and expenses to a minimum thus allowing more cruises . :) :D

And after completing our turn it was now time to head out to sea

IMG_8704_zpsoim9dtef.jpg

and to give chase to the Carnival ships in Government cut

IMG_8663_zpsujiodyln.jpg

and for the normal traffic jam to return as seen in this video :

And after passing by the big top terminal we could surmise that NCL Jewel had also sailed leaving us as the last ship to leave port .

IMG_8717%20Stitch-001_zpskui87un7.jpg

The Fisher Island Ferry takes cars to Fisher Island a playground for the rich and famous . The traffic on the MacArthur causeway is going to South Beach .

IMG_8741_zpswvu2cdkf.jpg

The Fisher Island ferry terminal where you board the ferry . The last fire station that I worked at before retirement was here and I took the ferry to and from work . The white bridge leads to Star Island another playground of the rich and famous .

IMG_8742_zps0hwnvpan.jpg