The long debated formal attire...

We enjoy dressing up too. Even in our professional jobs, my husband and I aren't dressing up very often. He owns a tux, so he brings it to get more use out of it! The first formal night is usually more formal than the second - more tuxes/suits and long evening gowns on the first one and more party dresses and shirt/tie/jackets on the second. You could probably bring just one suit with a different shirt/tie if you're looking to make more room in your luggage, otherwise enjoy looking sharp in your suits!

My husband prefers to change after dinner because he gets too warm in the formal attire, but it's common to see people dressed up all evening.

Dress however you feel comfortable, it is your vacation.

That being said, if I am flying to the port, I take one suit and multiple shirts, ties. If I am driving to the port, then I take my tux with multiple accessories. I will coordinate with DW as far as colors. Sometimes I will bring a vest, sometimes a cummerbund. I do like dressing up for dinner, but if I go to a show afterwards, I change. I tend to overheat.

Hope this helps, but enjoy your trip.

Alright, interesting reading everyone's methods. I am wondering if I should have just gone with one suit. It may be possible to cancel one if I head to the store after work. I'm driving to the port but I'm also trying to bring just one bag and a small carry duffle. Idk i can either ride it out as is and have the two suits or go and see if they will cancel one tonight. Hmm

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Alright, interesting reading everyone's methods. I am wondering if I should have just gone with one suit. It may be possible to cancel one if I head to the store after work. I'm driving to the port but I'm also trying to bring just one bag and a small carry duffle. Idk i can either ride it out as is and have the two suits or go and see if they will cancel one tonight. Hmm

If you are only planning on wearing your suit (s) on a cruise I'd cancel the second. But that's me!

Men are fortunate to get by with only one suit and can change out a tie and a shirt easily. Also, the formal nights are not done on consective days so no one would really notice if a man wore the same shirt and tie on both formal nights.

MARAPRINCE

We enjoy dressing up too. Even in our professional jobs, my husband and I aren't dressing up very often. He owns a tux, so he brings it to get more use out of it! The first formal night is usually more formal than the second - more tuxes/suits and long evening gowns on the first one and more party dresses and shirt/tie/jackets on the second. You could probably bring just one suit with a different shirt/tie if you're looking to make more room in your luggage, otherwise enjoy looking sharp in your suits!

My husband prefers to change after dinner because he gets too warm in the formal attire, but it's common to see people dressed up all evening.

We enjoy dressing up too. Never get much of a chance at home. We always have 8.30 seating so we have more time ashore. Hit the Diamond Lounge at 6 and then go for dinner. We don't change after dinner. A quick drink and then the cafe for a coffee and away to bed.

Our cruise itinerary has always been full on, not much sea days, so early beds and an early start.

I love seeing the variety when people go "all in" for formal night -- wish they had a designated dining room for those who want a truly "formal" experience.

There was one, called Grande - the whiners did away with it.;p

Men are fortunate to get by with only one suit and can change out a tie and a shirt easily. Also, the formal nights are not done on consective days so no one would really notice if a man wore the same shirt and tie on both formal nights.

MARAPRINCE

I don't know, with all the attention paid to everyone else's clothes!

I just hope that it wasn't overkill and that I feel justified in having bought two suits. So basically I'm just putting what's on my mind out here to get some input.

I don't take a suit, or a tux anymore, now I wear a long sleeve shirt or a sports jacket but when I did I never packed two suits. Definitely overkill. You can wear one suit or tux two times. Actually on long cruises with three formal nights, three times.

I'd only bring one suit and two shirts and two ties. Can you cancel the tailoring on one and maybe return one, save some money? DH now only brings the shirt and ties these days.

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

We just got off Liberty in Feb, and common sense kicked in and I removed the Tux just before leaving home, bringing only 1 suit with multiple shirts, and 3 ties (and an alternate pair of slacks just in case of a spill).

as much as I love dressing up, taking the Tux out of the hanging bag, made it much lighter, and I was able to get dressy 4 times with just the 1 suit (2 formal nights and 2 specialty restaurants).. . only once did I change after dinner, and that was only because we went to the hot-tubs that evening :)

We dress up every night but dh wears a suit and I wear full length gown on both formal nights. Dh brings 3 suits and a few pair of khakis or Chino type pants and a few button down shirts. I bring 2 gowns and 5 dresses. We stay dressed after dinner ( we do early seating).

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

For the past several cruises my hubby has been renting a tux through the cruise line and he loves it! They give you two different looks for the two formal nights. It's in the cabin when we arrive and they return it after the last formal night is over. We love not having to pack his suits, dress shirts, shoes, etc and also not having to send it all out for dry cleaning after the cruise. Very convenient!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Forums mobile app

MARAPRINCE

They will notice if you pose for pictures and are wearing the same clothes. I usually have one suit but have also brought a sport jacket and though the other nights aren't formal wife loves photos and we always dress in collared shirts and a dress or pantsuit..

Plus, the ship didn't enforce it.

Compared to the rest of the fleet MDR, in the DD days, Grande attire was enforced much more. Men had to wear a suit coat and if you didn't have one they had loaners. Speaking of which, I wonder what happened to all those loaner jackets?

Well, I cancelled one. I kept both shirts and ties to mix it up. I figure I'll see how it goes and if I decide to cruise again and want another suit I could buy it then. Also I'll see if this one even fits me a year from now.

Glad you were able to save some money. One suit is plenty.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Compared to the rest of the fleet MDR, in the DD days, Grande attire was enforced much more. Men had to wear a suit coat and if you didn't have one they had loaners. Speaking of which, I wonder what happened to all those loaner jackets?

Yes, they wore the loaner to the table then took it off. The Grande dress code was a joke.

So r u cruising on the Anthem? What is your itinerary? This all plays into how formal a cruise is....

The formal nights have died or dying out on most cruise lines.....if you enjoy dressing up wear ur suit out and about....not just on the cruise....men look great in suits...wherever they r.

I have always loved formal night on cruises starting with my honeymoon cruise in 1983 and continuing with purchasing tuxes for the 3 teen men in my family in 2008, to have a formal photo taken on the ship, for a special birthday for their MOM. However...it was right around this time that airlines decided to charge for luggage and designer jeans were the rage...and so the cruise lines adjusted.....and so have I reluctantly...My husband took his tux on the Oasis in Sept. in my time dinning he was the only gentlemen in a Tux.... the second formal night he wore a short sleeve button down. The Captains party was in the morning...so why even bring a TUX. On a princess cruise in January they actually stated that the dress for the Captain's party was elegant casual what????......again at formal dinner few tuxes. Yes still some suits and coats but not many. My son who lives in NYC and I are leaving on the Anthem on Sunday.... I told him don't bother to bring formal wear....I am not planning to fly from CA with any either.....

Edited by land lover

My husband brings 1 suit with 2 different dress shirts and 2 different ties. We have done both - changed after dinner and other times we've stayed in our formal attire. Neither of us dress up very often so it's kind of nice to have a reason to dress up!

Do this, suits can take up alot of space. I usually just take a pair of pants, 1 suit coat/sports coat, and then two shirts and two ties.