Can you sign up for for a chance to have dinners with the Ship's Officers?

John Bean

It's been 14 years since we last sailed on HAL. Our last two cruises were on NCL and and we were able to put our names on a list and fortunately we were selected to have dinner with some of the ships officers one evening each cruise. Does HAL offer this?

We've had officers at our tables a couple of times, when 1. Late dining at the MDR 2. At a table for 8 with only 6 people assigned to it (so there were empty seats for officer and wife) . 3. on formal/gala nights. But it was just a serendipitous surprise. It was a fun addition, and interesting, and they brought wine to share!!! But I know nothing about signing up. We obviously didn't!

We've had officers at our tables a couple of times, when 1. Late dining at the MDR 2. At a table for 8 with only 6 people assigned to it (so there were empty seats for officer and wife) . 3. on formal/gala nights. But it was just a serendipitous surprise. It was a fun addition, and interesting, and they brought wine to share!!! But I know nothing about signing up. We obviously didn't!

Hi John; what happens on most dam ships is that officers (and those with officer status, i.e. the FCC, salon manager, etc.) host tables on each formal sorry, gala :D, night. It includes officers from most of the ship's departments; Deck, Engine, Hotel (Front Office, HK, Entertainment, etc.) The "table schedule" is prepared by the dining room manager. There is in fact a"list" but he runs it

If you are interested in sitting at one of those tables, it would behoove you to let either the dining room manager and/or Front Office know at the beginning of your cruise

Same happened to us on 2 seperate cruises when we had 7 assigned to a table for 8. It was fun but based on empty seats not a deliberate thing.

And yes ,,,, they bring a bottomless wine tab when they "host" the table.:wine-glass::bottle-pop::wine-glass:

Hi John; what happens on most dam ships is that officers (and those with officer status, i.e. the FCC, salon manager, etc.) host tables on each formal sorry, gala :D, night. It includes officers from most of the ship's departments; Deck, Engine, Hotel (Front Office, HK, Entertainment, etc.) The "table schedule" is prepared by the dining room manager. There is in fact a"list" but he runs it

If you are interested in sitting at one of those tables, it would behoove you to let either the dining room manager and/or Front Office know at the beginning of your cruise

This, I did not know. Thanks for the learning opportunity! We had Peter Wallis on the Volendam in 2005 for all 3 formal nights (which is what they were then.) We were traveling as a group of 5, so there was an extra seat at our 6 top. He's a great dinner companion and we were glad to dine with him.

While on the Prinsendam for a Grand Voyage, we had three extra seats at our table of eight. My husband took it upon himself to invite officers and/or staff for dinner. We had the second in command of food service, the cruise director, cruise activity director and purser, among others during the 56 day cruise. And yes, the officers do have a bottomless wine tab for the table. They all seemed to be very happy to have a personal invite from a guest!

This, I did not know. Thanks for the learning opportunity! We had Peter Wallis on the Volendam in 2005 for all 3 formal nights (which is what they were then.) We were traveling as a group of 5, so there was an extra seat at our 6 top. He's a great dinner companion and we were glad to dine with him.

Long time HAL Purser Peter Wallis has lots of stories to tell. He is currently once again Amsterdam's purser on her 2017 Grand World voyage

You just w armed my heart, POA. I've noT rea d or heard of Peter Purser for ages. There was a stretch when we sailed with him alot but that haws not been foere a vvery long itme. I hope he is well and happyl. A lovely. man. ....... (did he share with you why he has more stripes than other pursers?) :d

On our HAL Panama Canal cruise a few years ago, we were seated at a 6 top, but only 4 of us (2 couples) ever showed up. One night the table was set very formally, with wine glasses and fancy plates. We had the honor of having one of the officers and his wife sitting with us that evening.

No sign up, no request made.

You just w armed my heart, POA. I've noT rea d or heard of Peter Purser for ages. There was a stretch when we sailed with him alot but that haws not been foere a vvery long itme. I hope he is well and happyl. A lovely. man. ....... (did he share with you why he has more stripes than other pursers?) :d

Yes. He told us about the stripes and how they were grandfathered in from the old position. I think he's been doing the world cruise lately.