Can the onboard doctor prescribe and dispense antibiotics(z-pack) if the need arises?

Carleeb12

Our Obamacare HMO plan does not cover us out of our county, let alone out of the country. The Blue Cross policy DH had through his employer did cover us out of the country, but DH got laid off. $2700 a month was not in the cards for COBRA so we had to go on Obamacare.

Looking forward to going on Medicare later in the year because the supplement we have locked in has international coverage at 80%.

I paid $75 on NCL for a nurse consult, $55 for urine test for UTI and $25 or so for meds. A small portion of this was covered by our provincial health insurance. I submitted to travel insurance for consult and tests and my work insurance for the meds.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our Obamacare HMO plan does not cover us out of our county, let alone out of the country. The Blue Cross policy DH had through his employer did cover us out of the country, but DH got laid off. $2700 a month was not in the cards for COBRA so we had to go on Obamacare.

Looking forward to going on Medicare later in the year because the supplement we have locked in has international coverage at 80%.

Obamacare is not a type of insurance. You had an insurance company through Obamacare like Aetna, Blue Cross, Kaiser and such

My hubby twisted his ankle while out walking around at a port (not on a tour) completely outside of cruise port, etc. Went back to ship and iced it. Swelled pretty bad so went to med center, got X-rays and crutches. Was only a total of $150 ish (we were on Carnival Splendor). This was less than my co-pay for ER visit back home. Excellent and thorough care.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our traveling companion on a recent HAL cruise visited the medical center and was diagnosed with mild pneumonia.

Her tests and treatment costs were around $500 and were billed to her onboard account like any other charges that must be paid before one departs the ship.

You must file your own insurance claim for reimbursement once you return home so make sure you request and keep the documentation necessary to do this.

I would also check the credit limit on my card before departing to make sure it is high enough to cover unexpected expenses.

She was very pleased with the quality of the care she received onboard.

I would see if my physician could prescribe it beforehand. When I went to the Philippines for three weeks, my physician prescribed the z-pack, and another medication that he said I may need (antibiotic) if I were to get sick. I didn't need it, but found I could get a prescription filled easily and cheaply in the mall near my hotel.

When you book your cruise, the cruise contract states that by BOOKING, you're in good health. Yes..they can dispense antibiotics..they have many. If you have something that could be "life threatening"...you should not cruise. Period. They are not equipped for major, life altering illnesses or diseases. Read the cruise contract.

Obamacare is not a type of insurance. You had an insurance company through Obamacare like Aetna, Blue Cross, Kaiser and such

Yes, we have something called Community Cares. The only major insurer left on Obamacare in our county is Blue Cross. We could not afford the Blue Cross Obamacare plan at over $2000 per month + a huge deductible . We certainly would have stayed on the Blue Cross PPO plan we had if the premium had not jumped to $2700 a month. When DH was employed we only had to pay $138 per month for the plan as the employer paid the balance.

Aetna, Cigna and Humana all pulled out of Obamacare in our county. Community Cares is a very restrictive HMO with very few doctors and hospitals on the plan. We have to drive by the nearest hospital to get to the one we are required to use. If we get sick or injured while in Galveston, we have to high tail it back to our county because none of the hospitals and none of the doctors are on the plan in Galveston are on the plan. We have zero coverage if we go out of network.

You better believe we buy travel insurance that is primary coverage and is not subrogated to this lousy insurance plan.

Counting the months until we go on Medicare and the Cigna supplement.

My hubby twisted his ankle while out walking around at a port (not on a tour) completely outside of cruise port, etc. Went back to ship and iced it. Swelled pretty bad so went to med center, got X-rays and crutches. Was only a total of $150 ish (we were on Carnival Splendor). This was less than my co-pay for ER visit back home. Excellent and thorough care.

Definitely a good deal. Our co-pay for the ER is $600, so when I needed 3 stitches in my finger I called around and found an urgent care that would do them for $350.00 cash.

Yes, we have something called Community Cares. The only major insurer left on Obamacare in our county is Blue Cross. We could not afford the Blue Cross Obamacare plan at over $2000 per month + a huge deductible . We certainly would have stayed on the Blue Cross PPO plan we had if the premium had not jumped to $2700 a month. When DH was employed we only had to pay $138 per month for the plan as the employer paid the balance.

Aetna, Cigna and Humana all pulled out of Obamacare in our county. Community Cares is a very restrictive HMO with very few doctors and hospitals on the plan. We have to drive by the nearest hospital to get to the one we are required to use. If we get sick or injured while in Galveston, we have to high tail it back to our county because none of the hospitals and none of the doctors are on the plan in Galveston are on the plan. We have zero coverage if we go out of network.

You better believe we buy travel insurance that is primary coverage and is not subrogated to this lousy insurance plan.

Counting the months until we go on Medicare and the Cigna supplement.

I'm sure that Trumpcare will fix everything. Lower premiums and coverage for all. Lol

I'm sure that Trumpcare will fix everything. Lower premiums and coverage for all. Lol

What would be really great is if we could have a competitive market for health insurance. I was looking for a new cell phone plan the other day and I had no idea of the variety of cell phone plan options. You can get phones with just texting. Just texting and phone. Phones with a certain amount of texts allowed per day. Phones with a certain amount of data. Phones where you can by a block of data that lasts for a year. Phones that charge by the day so that if you do not use it on a certain day you do not get charged at all for the phone. The options are almost endless. Some companies only have deals with particular phones, others have deals with other phones, etc. Then, you have more all inclusive plans that allow you to use your phone less restrictively or even ad infinitum. Or almost but allow you to go over and pay more. Contract plans that allow you to always have the newest phone on the market. I cannot tell you how stunned I was. I had no idea all of these options were out there. And all of the options have emerged just with an invisible hand (so to speak) because everyone has different wants and needs. I couldn't help but think it's a shame we can't let the health plan market go the same way.

I came down with a chest infection on Legend a couple of weeks ago. The doctor prescribed antibiotics and steroids. The bill was just under 150$. I needed to go to my own doctor when I got home as there was still a crackling on my chest. It seems that the dose I was given was far to low

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My wife had terrible pains in the middle of the night on our first cruise (RC). Trip to medical facilities onboard resulted in a complete workup including extensive blood work. IVs and pain meds followed a diagnosis of gallbladder attack. Only problem was that nurse had terrible time trying to get blood samples and physician finally did it. They kept her there for hours. Bill was $1200. They charged for each individual blood test so that increased the cost. Bottom line: wife got better and I was happy. A year or so later she had gallbladder surgery! PS. Had to fight with our employer insurance company but eventually received reimbursement save a copay!

My oldest daughter was walking in the dining room on the Carnival Dream and lost her balance catching her face on the corner of a divider. She hit that divider right above her eye and blood spurted everywhere. she was immediately surrounded by staff who put ice on her eye and whisked her to the medical facility while a supervisor called ahead. The physician was waiting when she got there. Cleaned her up and stitched her gash closed. He did a great job as it was right where the eyebrow was. Unnoticeable now! No bill, constant checking on her the entire cruise, sent a bottle of wine to our table. All handled professionally and courteously.

So after two incidents on two different cruise lines, I have a comfort level they can handle most emergency situations including stabilizing a patient until further help is forthcoming. I am not suggesting they are a Trauma I unit but the cruise lines are not going to jeopardize their reputations and invite legal actions by placing medical teams on board that have no emergency /trauma training.

FYI most Caribbean islands dispense antibiotics over the counter and fairly inexpensive. We always bring home Cipro.

The rules have changed in Mexico. In Cozumel we were always able to buy antibiotics

until the past 2-3 yrs. Now in order to get antibiotics you have to see an MD in port. This is the only way to get antibiotics in Mexico.

Just curious, what other Caribbean ports have OTC antibioitcs available for purchase.

Thank you,

The rules have changed in Mexico. In Cozumel we were always able to buy antibiotics

until the past 2-3 yrs. Now in order to get antibiotics you have to see an MD in port. This is the only way to get antibiotics in Mexico.

Just curious' date=' what other Caribbean ports have OTC antibioitcs available for purchase.

Thank you,[/quote']

Go across the street outside of the port area. The pharmacies that aren't in Carnival's control will sell them to you. We went in there looking around this last time and I asked. They would sell them to me no problem but I didn't get any because I have an issue with non climate controlled places and medication (could reduce the efficacy) but they didn't require a prescription.

I agree with nhsails---get a script from your dr and fill it before cruise, if this is a chronic problem with you. I have a reoccurring skin infection. It heals for several months, and then out of the blue, will return, with no warning. My dr gives me a script to fill before any vacation to keep it with me, so no issues. We have utilized the infirmary onboard once way back in 2007, when traveling with our daughter and 10 month old granddaughter. Our little granddaughter had some issues with vomiting, and we were worried she would become dehydrated. She turned out to be fine, and after some Pedialyte, was even better. But it did cost us around $150 for that visit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums