Maho Beach Madness Beware !!

Ashland

Just a note about being dropped back in town. Since you need the buffer in case traffic is awful, hopefully you will get back to Phillipsburg with an hour or two to spare and shopping or strolling the boardwalk is a good way to use that time. You can walk back from town ( it's about 15 minutes from the nearest end of the boardwalk to the port area) so a water taxi is not needed for everyone but it does provide a good opportunity for a picture of your ship.

This is great information. Our plans are to get off the ship early and go to the Yoda Guy museum in town first. That will probably take about an 1 to 1 1/2 hours since my 20 somethings are obsessed with Star Wars! After that we were going to take a taxi to Maho to watch some planes. We may take the water taxi so we don't have to walk back to the ship since my sons girlfriend has some issues with her feet and I don't know how close the taxi would get us.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are taking a taxi to Maho, you could also take a return taxi back to the port.

We went back to town and then walked along the water from Phillipsburg all the way back to our ship. It was a nice walk. Some people did take a water taxi back from Phillips-burg to the ship.

If you are taking a taxi to Maho, you could also take a return taxi back to the port.

We went back to town and then walked along the water from Phillipsburg all the way back to our ship. It was a nice walk. Some people did take a water taxi back from Phillips-burg to the ship.

Thank you. My sons girlfriend has problems with her feet so she can't walk long distances. My husband and I love to walk so maybe they can take the water taxi and we can walk back to the ship.

• 1 month later...

I went to Maho beach in April 2013 and looking to go bak in December 2017 on Oasis. I've noticed that there is 5 ships in port that day but figured that we arrive in at 8am that if I get there early and spend a couple of hours it wouldn't be too bad.

I'm travelling solo and didn't find it problem getting a taxi back then but wondered if I would have to wait to fill a taxi to get back to port?

I went to Maho beach in April 2013 and looking to go bak in December 2017 on Oasis. I've noticed that there is 5 ships in port that day but figured that we arrive in at 8am that if I get there early and spend a couple of hours it wouldn't be too bad.

I'm travelling solo and didn't find it problem getting a taxi back then but wondered if I would have to wait to fill a taxi to get back to port?

If you are willing to wait to fill a taxi you can save a few dollars, but for the full single passenger fare you would not have to wait. Of course, if you are talking about going early, you are unlikely to see any large planes coming in - they usually show up around noon to two PM.

If you are willing to wait to fill a taxi you can save a few dollars, but for the full single passenger fare you would not have to wait. Of course, if you are talking about going early, you are unlikely to see any large planes coming in - they usually show up around noon to two PM.

Thanks for the advice. It's appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just back from HOTS yesterday. Have visited Maho several times but have experienced nothing like this before....So many people on the beach you couldn't see the sand...and the fighting and rudeness over trying to get a table was CRAZY :eek:

There was probably a lot more people there that day. Any other ships in port besides HOTS? I was just there with only Adventure last month. The biggest problem was trying to get good pictures without someone jumping in front of you with their selfie sticks trying to get them an the 767. ;)

The bar had added a lot more tables since my previous visit in 2014.

I see that when we arrive our ship will be the only one in port.....do you think the beach will be ok (not tons of people)?? Thanks

Slightly off topic, but how do you find out what other ships will be in port with you?

Arriving St. Maarten, Mon June 12, appear to be only ship in port, but ship arrives at 1215 PM, will it be too late to taxi to Maho for planes? What time do return taxis stop running? Water Taxi end times? Our ship departs at 8PM

Trying to decide just hanging at Great Bay around the Blue Bitch Bar area or making the trip to Maho for the planes.

Have been to St. Maarten, once before and it seemed like all the beach chairs and bars around boardwalk at Great Bay were closing up by around 4PM. Perhaps they will stay open a bit later since ship not departing until later?

Anyone know?

Thanks very much

There was probably a lot more people there that day. Any other ships in port besides HOTS? I was just there with only Adventure last month. The biggest problem was trying to get good pictures without someone jumping in front of you with their selfie sticks trying to get them an the 767. ;)

The bar had added a lot more tables since my previous visit in 2014.

I was also there on Adventure last year and was the only ship in port...so lucky when that happens. When we were there this past March on HOTS there were 6 ships ported.

Arriving St. Maarten, Mon June 12, appear to be only ship in port, but ship arrives at 1215 PM, will it be too late to taxi to Maho for planes? What time do return taxis stop running? Water Taxi end times? Our ship departs at 8PM

Trying to decide just hanging at Great Bay around the Blue Bitch Bar area or making the trip to Maho for the planes.

Have been to St. Maarten, once before and it seemed like all the beach chairs and bars around boardwalk at Great Bay were closing up by around 4PM. Perhaps they will stay open a bit later since ship not departing until later?

Anyone know?

Thanks very much

We also have a 12:15 arrival this August for St. Maarten. It's not too late to go over to Maho for the planes, the large ones arrive after 1 pm. No need to worry about getting a taxi back to the port from Maho as they run all day, plenty of taxi drivers at Sunset Bar & Grill asking if anyone needs a ride back to the port. I believe the last ferry may be at 6 pm. I don't recall at all any of the bars closing up at 4 pm on the Boardwalk at Great Bay.

Ohmigosh! I was planning on going to Maho Beach too. I've never been and I wanted to experience it, but if you guys are saying it's that insanely crowded for only 3 ships in port, I'm royally screwed as there are 10 ships in port when I will be there aren't I?!?! Is it worth even trying to see?

Ohmigosh! I was planning on going to Maho Beach too. I've never been and I wanted to experience it, but if you guys are saying it's that insanely crowded for only 3 ships in port, I'm royally screwed as there are 10 ships in port when I will be there aren't I?!?! Is it worth even trying to see?

10 cruiseships? Is that a record guys? Are they all on the Dutch side of the island?

What other islands are you visiting and how many ships are visiting on your days there? If you have one insanely busy island it's one thing but if you have 3 that may be a big red flag!

I only see eight: It will be busy, but should be berable.

This has happened before: Years ago. Seemed to go well. I don't remember nine or ten.

Updated link to local paper here.

gary

What other islands are you visiting and how many ships are visiting on your days there? If you have one insanely busy island it's one thing but if you have 3 that may be a big red flag!

I looked up on cruisetimetables.com, not sure how accurate it is, but from that St. Maarten is 10, then I am visiting 2 other island... Nassau (and there will be 2 other ships there for 3 total that day) and St. Thomas (also another busy day... 8 ships)... is that bad??

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/visitingnassaubahamas-11dec2017.html

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/visitingstthomasusvirginislands-13dec2017.html

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/visitingphilipsburgstmaarten-14dec2017.html

I looked up on cruisetimetables.com, not sure how accurate it is, but from that St. Maarten is 10, then I am visiting 2 other island... Nassau (and there will be 2 other ships there for 3 total that day) and St. Thomas (also another busy day... 8 ships)... is that bad??

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/visitingnassaubahamas-11dec2017.html

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/visitingstthomasusvirginislands-13dec2017.html

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/visitingphilipsburgstmaarten-14dec2017.html

Nassau with 3 is just another day. St. Maarten with 10 would be new to me. We have been there with 7. 6 were docked and one was tendered. Are you docked? That would be good to know while making plans.

Honestly, we headed north with 7 ships in port. We would not go to Maho or that side of the island on a day like that. With that said we vacation on the island as well and visit Maho often and we love it so I can understand why you want to experience it. Gary and I use the same site for St. Maarten http://www.portstmaarten.com/

The last time that I was in St. Thomas was in 2013 I believe and we took the ferry to St. John because we like St. John better and not because it was busy. I never remember 8 ships ever on my maybe 5 or 6 visits and ships held less passengers in general then to. I found the traffic around the port and town busy especially in the afternoon. Ask over on the St. Thomas board about the best plan with 8 ships in port but I would expect it to be busy. I would also check to see if you will be docked ( and which dock as there are at least 2 different areas) or tendered there.