Explorer-Food Questions

Hi

We are new to Royal Caribbean but have cruised with Princess & Norweigan.

Few foodie questions-

Does Explorer have a Wipeout Cafe?

Does the Johnny Rockets serve free breakfast?

Is there a free burger place on board?

Do they have the donut shop on Explorer?

The Cafe Promenade- do they have chocolate mousse or pudding?

Thanks

Poppy

I was on Explorer 15 days last year, so let me see what I can remember.

Does Explorer have a Wipeout Cafe? No.

Does the Johnny Rockets serve free breakfast? No, this is for Oasis class.

Is there a free burger place on board? There's not a standalone burger place, but they will have free burgers at lunch in the Windjammer.

Do they have the donut shop on Explorer? No, but they had donuts at breakfast in both the Windjammer and Cafe Promenade.

The Cafe Promenade- do they have chocolate mousse or pudding? I don't recall seeing any.

I think most of what you are looking for are on Oasis class not Voyager class. That being said, we had no trouble finding things to eat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Joy for the info. We may try Oasis another time. We chose Explorer because my kids really wanted to try a ship that has Flow Rider. Explorer was the closest option for us.

Sky-thanks for the great photos! What's in a Willy Wonka Pie?

Are the Led Zeppoles somewhat like Apple Fritters?

Do either of you know what they charge for a cupcake in the Cupcake shop and for a single scoop in Ben & Jerry's? Just trying to budget.

Thanks

Poppy

Do either of you know what they charge for a cupcake in the Cupcake shop and for a single scoop in Ben & Jerry's? Just trying to budget.

Cupcake shop has two sizes. The small is about $2 and is fine for a little snack. The larger/fullsize cupcakes are about $3.50. Ben and Jerry's is a bit expensive IMHO but delicious! A single scoop is about $3.50 and is plenty for a snack.

FYI, Royal's Windjammer burgers and pretty bad...nothing like the fresh burgers on Princess at the poolside Trident Grill. Pizza at the Cafe Promenade and Windjammer buffet will be the biggest disappointment when compared to Princess which is excellent. We love Royal for many reasons but burgers and pizza is not one of them!

Sky- your review was amazing! Probably one of the best I have read. I read all 11 pages. The photos were great and gave me the info I was looking for.

Thanks

Poppy:D

I can't tell you what Willy Wonka pie or Led Zeppoles are as I never tired them but someone hopefully had.

I think you should take a look at my thread below which will tell you a lot about Explorer.

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2251071

Thanks for the info! My boys might like to try a couple of the cupcakes.

I must admit I was super impressed with International Café on princess. I am obsessed with their dark/white chocolate mousse. Best I have ever had. Hopefully we will find some yummy treats on Explorer.

Poppy:D

Cupcake shop has two sizes. The small is about $2 and is fine for a little snack. The larger/fullsize cupcakes are about $3.50. Ben and Jerry's is a bit expensive IMHO but delicious! A single scoop is about $3.50 and is plenty for a snack.

FYI, Royal's Windjammer burgers and pretty bad...nothing like the fresh burgers on Princess at the poolside Trident Grill. Pizza at the Cafe Promenade and Windjammer buffet will be the biggest disappointment when compared to Princess which is excellent. We love Royal for many reasons but burgers and pizza is not one of them!

The photos were taken 19 months ago but these were available in the Cafe Promenade.

IMG_6431_zps8thfgv2n.jpg

IMG_6130_zpsrt9hdmog.jpg

Is the Cafe Promenade like a coffee shop? On Princes there is the International Cafe, serves specialty coffee and sweets in the morning, some salad and finger foods and coffee later. Can you buy a "coffee card" for the specialty coffees?

Is the Cafe Promenade like a coffee shop? On Princes there is the International Cafe, serves specialty coffee and sweets in the morning, some salad and finger foods and coffee later. Can you buy a "coffee card" for the specialty coffees?

Yes and yes, with pizza slices and small sandwiches too.

Ok-Thanks for the heads up-does Room Service charge a fee? I thought I read that at breakfast time they don't charge for room service? I wonder what happens if you order a burger at 9am-LOL

When the new room service menus are implemented, these will be the menus:

http://images.r.cruisecritic.com/news/pdfs/rci-room-service-breakfast-menu.PDF

http://images.r.cruisecritic.com/news/pdfs/rci-room-service-all-day-menu.PDF

The only "free" items are on the left side of the breakfast menu, and then only from 6am to 11am. Anything else you order will cost $8.

Biker- we are sailing May 15th-when is it implemented?

Thanks

According to RCI's roll out schedule right after the TP, starting with the 5/9 sailing.

The first sailing after the TP is May 15th, not 5/9 (not sure where Biker got that from?... Maybe a typo of 5/19 for the first Alaska sailing?)

Poppy, I'm on your sailing too. I sailed this 4 day short cruise last year as well. If you expand my signature below I have a full photo review of last year as well as Victoria and Nanaimo... click the "Explorer "Best of BC" link.. Also join us on the "Roll Call" where you can speak with many of us sailing on this cruise in a month. You'll want to join us a 4pm on the sea day as a generous fellow cruiser is holding a pre-dinner party in their owner's suite!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2368129

The first sailing after the TP is May 15th, not 5/9 (not sure where Biker got that from?... Maybe a typo of 5/19 for the first Alaska sailing?)

Didn't bother looking up the details of the Explorer TP and assumed the roll out would not happen in the middle of a sailing. But, according to the roll out schedule it will happen the day ship is at the Honolulu port stop.

Didn't bother looking up the details of the Explorer TP and assumed the roll out would not happen in the middle of a sailing. But, according to the roll out schedule it will happen the day ship is at the Honolulu port stop.

This makes total sense. Last year a bunch of staff (ie. new performers, etc) sailed across from Honolulu to Seattle to train/fill-in/assimilate/etc with the current staff then fully took over on Day 1 of the 4 day short cruise. I'm assuming same could happen this year also so any roll out of any new programs could likely happen before getting to Seattle.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

We are new to Royal Caribbean but have cruised with Princess & Norweigan.

Few foodie questions-

Does Explorer have a Wipeout Cafe?- No

Does the Johnny Rockets serve free breakfast? Yes for Diamond Members (and suite guest?)

Is there a free burger place on board? No although in the windjammer they have a make your own burger station (also hot dog) with buns patties and all the regular topping.

Do they have the donut shop on Explorer? No the closest thing is the donut balls at breakfast/ lunch in the windjammer

The Cafe Promenade- do they have chocolate mousse or pudding? OOOOh if they did I didnt see it. Normally just pastries at breakfast, wraps and rolls at lunch and pizza from lunch onwards.

Thanks

Poppy

I was onboard x Sydney on the 19th of March for 12 days