$10m solution for mooring cruise ships in Auckland

It would take quite a long time to recover that cost given that there is currently only one ship that requires it cruising to Auckland in the summer seasons, and I notice she's only scheduled to visit Auckland 3 times next season. Hopefully RCI will increase the Ovation visits significantly when the dolphin is built.

It would take quite a long time to recover that cost given that there is currently only one ship that requires it cruising to Auckland in the summer seasons, and I notice she's only scheduled to visit Auckland 3 times next season. Hopefully RCI will increase the Ovation visits significantly when the dolphin is built.

I am sure Cunard could also utilise it and as they say build it and they will come.

Is there any fees/taxes already being paid to NZ to traverse the sounds, perhaps not..

Every port has Port Fees . Fiordland is a National Park , so I imagine permission to enter and cruise would need to be obtained and then there is the Ranger who boards and gives a commentary and I assume he would have to be paid as well.

Every port has Port Fees . Fiordland is a National Park , so I imagine permission to enter and cruise would need to be obtained and then there is the Ranger who boards and gives a commentary and I assume he would have to be paid as well.

I would think so as well, perhaps not quite the set up like the Panama Canal but a fee of some sort.

True but they'll probably tax every cruise ship that visits regardless of size. It's the only way I can see them recouping the cost in a shorter time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had Council employees doing surveys before we re-boarded the tenders in Auckland off Ovation in January...typically how much money did we spend, do you think you had more or less time onshore tendering, would you spend more if you had more time ashore etc.

Too many 'time short' people walked past the survey people, felt sorry for them and stopped to find out they were from Auckland Council surveying the pros and cons of a dock to handle the larger ships.

We had Council employees doing surveys before we re-boarded the tenders in Auckland off Ovation in January...typically how much money did we spend, do you think you had more or less time onshore tendering, would you spend more if you had more time ashore etc.

Too many 'time short' people walked past the survey people, felt sorry for them and stopped to find out they were from Auckland Council surveying the pros and cons of a dock to handle the larger ships.

I think all those walking past the surveyors saying 'they don't have time' could be recorded as - Not enough time in port.

I think all those walking past the surveyors saying 'they don't have time' could be recorded as - Not enough time in port.

I think they would be surprised at how little passengers spend ashore...they are more concerned with paying the bill they run up on board.

As far as the cruise line is concerned the less time they spend ashore means the more time there is to spend on board.:D

I think they would be surprised at how little passengers spend ashore...they are more concerned with paying the bill they run up on board.

As far as the cruise line is concerned the less time they spend ashore means the more time there is to spend on board.:D

Cruise pax may spend less than a general tourist visiting the city due to not having meals or accommodation involved. I think you will find that if only half the cruise pax spend a $100 while ashore it is still a boost to the economy, even if relatively minor.

I would think the tour companies, either ships or private tours would be where the money goes to benefit the locals at any port area. I know we do not spend much cash ashore in any country as compared to the money we pay for tours

I would think the tour companies, either ships or private tours would be where the money goes to benefit the locals at any port area. I know we do not spend much cash ashore in any country as compared to the money we pay for tours

Very true.

Just recently we did a cruise with Seabourn through the Philippines going to the underground river caves one day

I think there were 15 vans with maybe 4 people in each van in our convoy

The locals were paid for the 15 vans, 15 drivers, lots of bottles of water supplied, say 60 odd passengers entrance fees to the caves, 60 odd meals at a hotel for lunch along with one free drink, two Tourist Police clearing the roads so we got back to the ship on time and I can't remember spending any cash at all

Cruise pax may spend less than a general tourist visiting the city due to not having meals or accommodation involved. I think you will find that if only half the cruise pax spend a $100 while ashore it is still a boost to the economy, even if relatively minor.

I know that the Hunter region chambersof commerce say that on average every ship that stops in Newcastle adds $1million to the local economy.

I guess that factors in shore excursions and spending, but still not bad.

I know that it can be hard to get a seat in any of the inner city coffee shops when a ship is in.

From memory I think we said we spent $125 on the day...had we walked off the ship we may have gone 'outside' the city and spent more on transport and admission fees than we did 'in town'...we went up the Sky tower and had lunch...on previous trips we went out to the Zoo by bus, over to Davenport via the ferry and another time went for a sea plane flight...we could have done all off the tenders but may have done more walking off....for sheer convenience docking would be so much easier, maybe too easy to walk back onto the ship for lunch etc.

I know that the Hunter region chambersof commerce say that on average every ship that stops in Newcastle adds $1million to the local economy.

I guess that factors in shore excursions and spending, but still not bad.

I know that it can be hard to get a seat in any of the inner city coffee shops when a ship is in.

But I've never understood the urge to get a coffee as soon as you get off the ship in port, most line's now seem to offer a pretty good coffee somewhere on the ship, even if you have to pay extra.

(disclaimer I'm not a huge coffee drinker so might be missing something).

But I've never understood the urge to get a coffee as soon as you get off the ship in port, most line's now seem to offer a pretty good coffee somewhere on the ship, even if you have to pay extra.

(disclaimer I'm not a huge coffee drinker so might be missing something).

Most cruise ships use UHT milk onboard which tastes horrible when heated. I usually drink lattes at home but only drink espressos onboard. So the first thing I want at a port stop is a latte - at least in places where I know I'll get a decent one. In Asia I drink ice-blended coffees instead because I'm usually there when it's hot, they also use UHT milk, and most of the cafes are American coffee chains. In Europe it varies.