Mosquitoes in July

kdowneymd

we will be on the Ruby Princess July 8 out of Seattle. In Ketchikan we have reserved Island Wings for the Misty Fjords air flight. Given that we wil land on the lake (hopefully, weather permits) and will be allowed to walk on the shore, should I expect mosquitoes at this time of the year? I am someone they tend to flock to and completely ignore my DH. I will bring bug spray if needed but don't want to add it if not the season. Thank you

I am aware I can consider bringing it, was just wondering if anyone had information rather than snarky replies.

My reply was not intended to be snarky. If Michelle provides insect repellent for her customers, that would be one less thing for you to worry about. Yes, there's a chance you may encounter some mosquitos in July while landing on a lake in Misty Fjords National Monument, but contact Michelle to get direct information.

I would bring repellent to be on the safe side.

With that said I am one of those where if there are 100 people and only one gets bit it is me. However, I have not had a problem in Alaska but I still always bring it to be on the safe side.

Keith

That sounds good thank-you. Yes I am one of those who will 10 bites while 25 other people standing within five feet will have absolutely not one bite

I'm the same. I assume there will be mosquitos for my hikes in the rainforest like any other forest and also mendenhall glacier hike. . I'm planning to bring repellent for those activities.

SE Alaska is not the mosquito haven that the interior is. While there are salt water tolerant mosquitoes in tropical areas, like Caribbean, they can't breed in colder Alaska waters. Since Misty Fjords is salt water the area should be mosquito free. If actually landing on a freshwater lake away from the salt water there could be some but again nothing like around places such as Denali where it can get a lot warmer than along the coast and there are shallow snow melt ponds everywhere. Last cruise up there never saw any mosquitoes at all on the cruise part - even walking deep in the woods on excursions. Repellent is not even on our packing list.

we will be on the Ruby Princess July 8 out of Seattle. In Ketchikan we have reserved Island Wings for the Misty Fjords air flight. Given that we wil land on the lake (hopefully, weather permits) and will be allowed to walk on the shore, should I expect mosquitoes at this time of the year? I am someone they tend to flock to and completely ignore my DH. I will bring bug spray if needed but don't want to add it if not the season. Thank you

Bring repellant. How much does it weigh and how much space does it take. Or else, pick some up at your first port stop. This is not a port stop but on one trip where we spent time in Denali, my wife who attracts mosquitos wore her Australia bug net.

DON

We bring repellant wipes, easy to fit into a pocket, and good insurance for even infrequent mosquito encounters. July is the worst month for mosquitoes in our Pacific Northwest mountains and in Alaska's interior.

Mosquitos are possible in SE Alaska, just not the hummingbird size variety found near Denali and Fairbanks.

Sequim and PNW traveler thank-you for the info, exactly what I was looking for. I like the repellant wipes idea, will pick some up, those sound perfect. I would hate to have the experience ruined or worse me waving my arms to get them away and stepping off the plane float

Sequim and PNW traveler thank-you for the info, exactly what I was looking for. I like the repellant wipes idea, will pick some up, those sound perfect. I would hate to have the experience ruined or worse me waving my arms to get them away and stepping off the plane float

You're welcome. Enjoy Alaska! :)

We were on the same excursion in July 2016. We also got off the plane and walked on the grassy shore for about 15 minutes. no mosquitoes at all. Of course I am sure this could change pending weather, etc. We had a warm day, no rain.

Have fun.....!!

CC Jack thank you. I think I will pack the repellant wipes just in case.

We plan on not checking a bag so packing any repellant actually is a big deal and one I would like to avoid if necessary. Hence the need for my original post

I've been on several Alaska cruises in July and August, and though I never went too far inland in Southeast Alaska, I did quite a bit of hiking away from the sea, some of which was around other water sources. Never had any significant problem with mosquitoes.

• 2 months later...
The Alaskan bird is Zika, Dengue, and West Nile free. They are perfectly safe to feed.

Thanks for this input.

I noticed some did not like it but...this bugsme.

Somebody suggested itwas not appropriate.

Is that you thinkthis is off topic? Perhaps speculatedisease to fool an issue in Alaska?

The Topic is mosquitoes and we are on a travelsite. Many first time folks come to Alaskadon't know about mosquitoes at all and thus seek info like OP. Zika, Dengue and so on are an issue in some cruiseparts of the world. I don't think it isan attack on Alaska to state information conditions not supporting the diseases.

As to what is and what is not appropriate for theseboards, I've used TripAdvisor sometime yet, I'm new to CC. Maybe someone can point out where details ondisease are outlined in the guidelines.

Everyone is welcome to an opinion of course; hopeI've not offended.

I thank you xlxo.