Power strips.. Help!

Yunah

Hi all,

I have a question about the power strips you can use on board. I've read a lot of stuff about not being allowed to use power strips with surge protections due to the amount of power it uses (I think it was?). I'm having a hard time finding a powerstrip over here (the Netherlands) that doesn't have surge protection.. How bad would it be if we were to use a power strip with surge protection and only use it when inside the room? :)

It could be an idea that we buy one when we're over there but does anyone know where I could possibly buy a power strip like that? Walmart? Best buy? :o

Thanks.

Have you looked on line?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Only place I've been looking because that's where they have the most stuff. I've looked on Google and all big online sales websites here including DIY stores. Couldn't find anything without surge protection.. It just seems to be very uncommon here.

You possibly risk getting said power strip confiscated.

I just bring a multiplug extension cord that I put in my CPAP case. Haven't had it questioned yet.

Will they go through all of our luggage? :confused: What's the difference between a power strip and a multiplug extension cord? Sorry, might be a stupid question hahaha but as far as I'm aware there's just one thing to create more outlets and that's a power strip.

I have a NON surge power strip that I bought on Amazon.

It clearly states that it is non-surge on the packaging, which I left attached Just in case they had a question during scanning.

So far, (yn)it has not been a problem.

Patti

Will they go through all of our luggage? :confused: What's the difference between a power strip and a multiplug extension cord? Sorry, might be a stupid question hahaha but as far as I'm aware there's just one thing to create more outlets and that's a power strip.

Maybe someone with a electrical degree can explain it, but the way I look at it if there is surge the surge protector does nothing. No assume a surge did hit. It could get what ever is plugged in. Assume a 6 plug strip. That could be 6 possible sources of fire compared to maybe 1 that is designed to handle the surge and redirect it to ground

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Try changing your search term. Try searching for "multi outlet extension cord". Essentially that is what you need... an extension cord that has more than one outlet on it. I got one from Walmart years ago, and that is what I travel with.

I have a NON surge power strip that I bought on Amazon.

It clearly states that it is non-surge on the packaging, which I left attached Just in case they had a question during scanning.

So far, (yn)it has not been a problem.

Patti

I did find some on Amazon, that's correct. However the next problem arises.. we have European plugs on our electronics as we're Europeans (surprise! ;)). So we could only plug in 2 things as we only have 2 adapters.. I have another extension cord that comes with bunch of different plugs for different countries but that one is also surge protected. This is getting a bit troublesome. Even the cheapest one I could find for less than $5 is surge protected.... :(

Try changing your search term. Try searching for "multi outlet extension cord". Essentially that is what you need... an extension cord that has more than one outlet on it. I got one from Walmart years ago, and that is what I travel with.

I've tried that in Dutch (as that's where we are from) however nothing really comes up. I'm asking someone who works for an online store now, hopefully they can help me out!

Maybe someone with a electrical degree can explain it, but the way I look at it if there is surge the surge protector does nothing. No assume a surge did hit. It could get what ever is plugged in. Assume a 6 plug strip. That could be 6 possible sources of fire compared to maybe 1 that is designed to handle the surge and redirect it to ground

Well that makes sense. Thanks for explaining! :D

Ok, it looks like I've got a pretty good alternative.. a splitter. We'll buy 2 of those (as I understand there are 2 European style outlets in each room?) and make do with those.

As I understand it, the issue with the surge protection is the way the ships are grounded (a particular challenge on a large metal structure on a body of water). The surge systems can interfere with the onboard diagnostics and cause a false alert which trips the power systems and could cut power to a block of cabins.

While not every surge protector will do this, some can, and there's no easy way to tell so all are prohibited.

Actually, due to the differences in wiring between ships and homes, use of a surge protector can cause a fire, as noted in this USCG Safety Notice:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi-2s6l76TTAhVQJ1AKHRTLCwsQFggiMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Ficefloe.net%2Ffiles%2FSurge_Suppressors_USCG_Safety_Alert_April_2013.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFTdM9t3zHyzee0z3Q5ezpVGkIBVg&bvm=bv.152479541,d.ZWM

The semi-conductors used in surge protectors are not designed to handle reverse voltages, which they can be exposed to when connected to a ship's delta connected "floating ground". The problem is that even if your surge protector is working perfectly, and you are in the cabin with it, a ground fault anywhere else on the ship could cause a reverse voltage resulting in instantaneous thermal runaway and a fire in the surge protector. I have spent 42 years as a ship's engineer, and have seen these surge protected power strips go up in flames, it is not an urban myth, and I spend a great deal of time here on CC teaching members the dangers of surge protectors.

As for protecting your electronics, the same differences in wiring that make surge protectors unsafe on ships, also makes them redundant. NONE of the ship's electronics, from the POS registers at the bars, to the internet servers, to the desktop units in each officer's office, to the navigation equipment, to the automation that controls the engine room to keep the lights on and the propeller turning have surge protectors on them. If they were needed, would the cruise line risk their very expensive and extensive equipment? You do not have power surges caused by blown transformers like you do in homes, nor does a lightning strike affect the ship's wiring, it simply goes through the hull to sea. I've been on several ships that have been struck with lightning, and have never had any electronics damaged by lightning.

For the OP, on our ships, which are 220v, we use the Wonpro Universal power strip, which is not surge protected, and has universal outlets and can be purchased with a variety of plug cord configurations

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjCs7j38aTTAhVIElAKHXllCl0QFghpMAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wonpro-international.com%2FUniversalPowerstrip.html&usg=AFQjCNGiekDZtNez3T0xvLkZ9ljfbfxdpg

Try searching for this on your Dutch sites.

In my experience in all of our cruises since 2005, with the majority being after 2011, and the most recent in January 2017,we have never had a problem with a surge protector/power strip. We never hid it and it was always out in the open in our room with some of our gadgets plugged in when we weren't there.

But that was just my experiences, I can't guarantee your experience will be the same.

In my experience in all of our cruises since 2005, with the majority being after 2011, and the most recent in January 2017,we have never had a problem with a surge protector/power strip. We never hid it and it was always out in the open in our room with some of our gadgets plugged in when we weren't there.

But that was just my experiences, I can't guarantee your experience will be the same.

I hope that now you know its a fire hazard and not something that should be brought you will think twice about it regardless of if you are caught or not

First off, I wouldn't expect a cabin steward to either recognize whether a power strip was surge protected or not, and unfortunately,even if they did recognize the difference, they would be hesitant to offend a passenger in their block of cabins by mentioning it.

As I say, surge protectors can work perfectly fine for many days' usage, right up until the very moment that a motor or light at the other end of the ship goes to ground, and your surge protector goes up in flames. Also, the MOV semi-conductors in surge protectors have a "life expectancy", and the more times they are exposed to low level reverse voltages, they shorter that life becomes, and when they fail they can cause a fire.

For the OP, there is often only one US and one Euro style outlet available. Sometimes two. Most of the devices we charge are phones and tablets so we buy a USB 4-port charger for the Euro outlet, leaving the US outlet for our US appliances (hot hair thingy that you should not touch when plugged in, etc.) If your devices can use a US based USB charger you could charge your USB devices from it and keep your Euro outlets free for your other things that need real plugs.

Here's the one we use that can fit in either a US or Euro outlet: https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Syncwire-4-Port-Worldwide-Adapter/dp/B011KPRE1G

Thanks for the replies everyone and especially to Chengkp75. I will not use the surge protected ones on board. :D However, I will be bringing one along (as I plan on using it in our hotels in NYC and Miami), as has been mentioned they might be confiscated. Will I able to get it back in that case? It's a pretty expensive one as it's not a normal one (it's a powercube rewireable, if anyone wants to look it up). I would be pretty damn annoyed if someone took it off me and wouldn't return it after the cruise.

And I'll invest in one of those multi USB chargers, does anyone know if they sell them at Walmart or similar for a few $? I'd like to get one with a US style plug so we can use our power strip in the European style outlet.

Edited by Yunah
Typo

Here's the one we use that can fit in either a US or Euro outlet: https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Syncwire-4-Port-Worldwide-Adapter/dp/B011KPRE1G

Thanks for this. Ignorance may be bliss for some, but none of us are not interested in risking fires. After discovering​ my European "bar" is listed (nowhere on the bar) by Amazon as surge-protected, I started looking for a USB charger. I hadn't run across the one you linked. It's perfect. I'll still use my power bar in hotels for my kettle but never on a ship again.

Nexus 9 on Tapatalk Pro

A power bar usually will have 6 or 7 outlets and some form of on/off switch and potentially a little surge protection. For a cruise, buy the cheapest one you can find ($3-5) since it will have no effective surge protection.

Personally, we use the same thing as Yunah. It is a three plug indoor extension cord (green) that I get from Amazon (Walmart has them too). It can handle higher amperage devices and, being thicker, it lays flat on the floor to reduce the odds of tripping.

Two things to add. The ships that are getting dry docked like the Jade are coming out with a USB port at the desk. You can now charge USB charged devices directly. Second, you can only do that if you are in the room. Someone on the Jade "Right Now" posted a snap of the Daily which states that you can only have devices/appliances plugged in if you are present. Housekeeping will unplug anything they find if no one is around.