Are you concerned with all the mechanical issues lately?

HighCPU

I definitely would not lose sleep over this. The chances of this happening to your ship are slim.

And if something DID happen, Carnival has proved to take very good care, as far as compensation for their passengers.

I would rather be bobbing around in the ocean, on a cruise ship, than be stuck at work!:'):')

In all seriousness, I wouldn't give it another thought!!!

Book the Splendor, and enjoy your cruise!!!

THANK YOU! Your post really puts my mind at ease. I think I will be booking in 2018.

Everyone is so quick to jump on me like I am saying Carnival is the worst, but I am a newer cruiser and am just going off what is in the media.

That is why I joined CC so I can see what more experienced cruisers think. I am literally the 1st person in my family to even try cruising. Everyone else thinks I am going to get stuck out of the country, catch norovirus, go overboard AND get stuck at sea lol. Just thought if some experienced cruisers put out there that this stuff happens (like a lot of the responders did and I truly appreciate it) it would make me and some other new cruisers feel better.

THANK YOU! Your post really puts my mind at ease. I think I will be booking in 2018.

Everyone is so quick to jump on me like I am saying Carnival is the worst, but I am a newer cruiser and am just going off what is in the media.

That is why I joined CC so I can see what more experienced cruisers think. I am literally the 1st person in my family to even try cruising. Everyone else thinks I am going to get stuck out of the country, catch norovirus, go overboard AND get stuck at sea lol. Just thought if some experienced cruisers put out there that this stuff happens (like a lot of the responders did and I truly appreciate it) it would make me and some other new cruisers feel better.

You are correct, my reply was over the top, I thought you were ripping Carnival. Do as KP suggests, relax, and go enjoy your first cruise.

Seems like every time I check this board another ship is having mechanical trouble. Does that make you nervous to sail with Carnival now?

I myself was thinking of a 2018 Splendor cruise, but am not sure anymore.

Does anyone have insight on the history of the mechanical problems with the recent ships (including fantasy last night) that could put the rest of our minds at ease? No one wants another Triumph to go down.

I originally thought I would aim for platinum status with Carnival, but maybe RCL/NCL are looking better.

Nope, not the least bit worried.

We were on Splendor the week of 2/26/17. We were the sailing that lost the engine in the middle of the night on 3/2/17. (It was after midnight.) We were supposed to sail to Grand Turk and San Juan, which we did. We missed St. Thomas and Amber Cove because the ship was sailing slower so we needed the time to get back to Miami. Everything on the ship worked. Food was hot, drinks were cold, toilets flushed, showers ran. The only issue we had was that we missed two ports. We had beautiful sea days instead. I felt badly for the crew members whose days off were one of the two port days. They worked extra hard. I wouldn't change a thing about that cruise.

Carnival was incredibly generous given the cruise contract that every passenger signs before setting foot on the ship. It entitles any itinerary to be altered for no reason. We received $100 plus port fees and taxes pp on board credit, 50% refund, and 50% of the price paid towards our next cruise. Essentially, Fascination out of San Juan next year is a free cruise.

I'd be concerned if things didn't get fixed, to me that would point more to poor maintenance and getting by on the cheap (as many accuse Carnival of doing/being). Mechanical things break down, its a fact of life, whether new or old. With the amount of ships and the age of some of them, it stands to reason there may be a few more problems and perhaps because of past issues, theirs are more 'reported' or publicized. I'm of the mind old doesn't = bad and I prefer aged :D as we're all getting!

However, when you read the other boards on CC, it's clear it doesn't only happen to Carnival, that other carriers run into the same issues and are usually not as quick or generous with their compensation.

I'd be concerned if things didn't get fixed, to me that would point more to poor maintenance and getting by on the cheap (as many accuse Carnival of doing/being). Mechanical things break down, its a fact of life, whether new or old. With the amount of ships and the age of some of them, it stands to reason there may be a few more problems and perhaps because of past issues, theirs are more 'reported' or publicized. I'm of the mind old doesn't = bad and I prefer aged :D as we're all getting!

However, when you read the other boards on CC, it's clear it doesn't only happen to Carnival, that other carriers run into the same issues and are usually not as quick or generous with their compensation.

Age of the ship has no bearing. I'd bet that there are very few original parts left on them after all those years of service, or at least parts that haven't received a major overhaul over the years. I used to work for a bakery driving a truck that was 23 years old. The mechanic told me that according to the records that he had, my truck had had 5 engine changes, 2 transmission and 2 rearends over the years. Other than one blown engine, one total brake failure and one accident while I drove it, it ran great.

Now the thickness of the hull might be a concern after all of those years in the salt water. That's why the crew appreciates the refrigerator magnets from your home state. They stick them to the hull, and when they fall off, they know that there's no metal left, just paint. ;);)

Sure, maybe your ship could break down, but at least Carnival will (likely) compensate you very well...and as a bonus, the lifejackets will probably be in passable condition....unlike the ones that were on Majesty of the Seas. :)

Not worried. The odds are in my favor that nothing will happen. If it does happen, Carnival is usually pretty good about compensation. Also, I'll never do something as crazy as plan a once in a lifetime event for a port stop (like a wedding), that way I won't be too disappointed if we can't make that port.

I wouldn't sail anything older than Magic. If the ship does have issues better hope you are on it and not waiting for the next cruise because that is when you get a canceled or shortened vacation. And no day on a ruined vacation is better than at work. Vacation time is precious to some of us and I would rather be sitting at my desk gaining more vacation hours than sitting in a terminal or in a port city waiting to hear if my cruise will actually happen.

Nope, not the least bit worried.

We were on Splendor the week of 2/26/17. We were the sailing that lost the engine in the middle of the night on 3/2/17. (It was after midnight.) We were supposed to sail to Grand Turk and San Juan, which we did. We missed St. Thomas and Amber Cove because the ship was sailing slower so we needed the time to get back to Miami. Everything on the ship worked. Food was hot, drinks were cold, toilets flushed, showers ran. The only issue we had was that we missed two ports. We had beautiful sea days instead. I felt badly for the crew members whose days off were one of the two port days. They worked extra hard. I wouldn't change a thing about that cruise.

Carnival was incredibly generous given the cruise contract that every passenger signs before setting foot on the ship. It entitles any itinerary to be altered for no reason. We received $100 plus port fees and taxes pp on board credit, 50% refund, and 50% of the price paid towards our next cruise. Essentially, Fascination out of San Juan next year is a free cruise.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. Really appreciate it since it sheds light on what goes on when something does go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Triumph when it had the engine fire in Feb 2013, so I can speak from that experience.

(I've also had ports switched or missed due to weather on two other cruises)

In my opinion, as long as the ship has power (Electrical, Lighting, AC etc.), water and supplies you should be good, even if the propulsion system is working on less than full power.

When we were on Triumph, it was not fun. Yes,we got a few extra cruise days but we had no electricity, AC, Lights etc. in any of the cabins, no water in most cabins. It was hot and dark and you had to go search for a restroom where the toilets weren't completely full of waste so you could relieve yourself.

There was water and sewage backed up on some walk ways & public areas. The worst was on the lower decks and that's why many of those people ended up sleeping up on deck. The food choices were limited and they stopped serving alcohol :eek:

So with all that said we didn't let our experience deter us. We sailed RCCL in 2014, 2015 & 2016 and we will be sailing Carnival again this summer (on the Breeze this time). We're not worried and don't think you should be either. Even with some of the issues happening now, these seem to be only minor inconveniences, nothing to make me change my vacation plan or lose sleep over.

Enjoy your cruise!:cool: