Earliest guarantee assigned?

wbrumel

Booked a Neptune Suite guarantee for July 2 Koningsdam sailing and was wondering what's the earliest I could expect a cabin assignment? I know the latest date is sailing; but want to know if any CCers got assigned earlier than 2 weeks out.

We sail May 6th on Eurodam (Verandah Guaranty) and we don't have an assignment yet.

We've had one upsell email (April 7th) which we didn't take.

Our sailing has a lot of staterooms available so I think before they assign they're hoping to fill the more expensive categories with upsell offers first.

We always book a guarantee and most times the assignment comes 7-10 days before sailing. I've never not known our room assignment before boarding.

Our sailing has a lot of staterooms available so I think before they assign they're hoping to fill the more expensive categories with upsell offers first.

There is no real way for you to know how many cabins are available, because you don't know how many guarantee cabins are booked. What you see on the website doesn't give you an accurate idea.

Booked an SZ guarantee. Received an upsell offer to an SC-SA 5 weeks prior to sailing. Too expensive. Did not respond.

Received a better offer to an SC - SA a week later (one month prior to sailing) and accepted. Was assigned an SA.

B

There is no real way for you to know how many cabins are available, because you don't know how many guarantee cabins are booked. What you see on the website doesn't give you an accurate idea.

Per my conversation with the upsell agent at HAL I could choose from the staterooms shown.

Guarantee bookings are accounted for...they don't oversell a ship.

I chose to wait it out after my conversation with him. I'm happy with the category guarantee we reserved so if we don't get an upgrade/upsell that's ok.

Per my conversation with the upsell agent at HAL I could choose from the staterooms shown.

I chose to wait it out after my conversation with him. I'm happy with the category guarantee we reserved so if we don't get an upgrade/upsell that's ok.

What you can't see is how many guarantee bookings there are. For example, lets say you can see 20 HH cabins available on the website. However, there are 19 HH guarantees booked, you can't see those, and those cabins are NOT assigned, so all 20 "available" appear to you. I come along and book a regular HH cabin, selecting the one I want from the 20 "available". In an instant, all the HHs are sold, because 19 are committed (but not yet assigned) to the 19 guarantees.

It is not an oversold issue. It is how guarantees are sold, but not assigned. Look around the boards...you will see many explanations of how this works.

I can only speak for myself and my experience I just had with HAL upsell dept. this week.

The upsell agent emailed me a link to the available staterooms in the different categories that I could choose from.

I had a short window in which to choose as obviously others were being given the same opportunity as we were.

I wasn't looking at what is showing as available on the HAL site.

I have read here where a couple of people got their cabin assignments 3 weeks -- very rare.

Most start getting their assignments 10 days out.

Hope you get a good cabin.

When we booked through our Travel Agent for a HAL cruise on the Koningsdam to the Norwegian Fjords in June, we already have an email from our TA for our booking which INCLUDED the cabin number we have agreed on.

From reading what is being discussed, does that mean that is NOT CONFIRMED? That would be quite a concern, because we have read a review by someone on CC who had been on the Koningsdam and who had the idea he and his wife have their pre-arranged cabins, but when they boarded, they were told they would be put into another cabin - and to their disappointment, the latter cabin had their views badly blocked by a huge life-boat!

It would not be good at all to spend thousands of $$$$ on a cruise in a varanda cabin agreed (with no blocked view) and to which thought you were assigned, and when you get on board they eventually put you in one which has its view blocked. Imagine 14 days with the main objective of viewing the Norwegian fjords and you end up in a cabin where you could not even enjoy the fully the beautiful sceneries you cruise past. That would have defeated the main objective of our cruise.

Is HAL notorious for switching cabins which have been agreed by customers before they book?

Edited by Cahpek

When we booked through our Travel Agent for a HAL cruise on the Koningsdam to the Norwegian Fjords in June, we already have an email from our TA for our booking which INCLUDED the cabin number we have agreed on.

From reading what is being discussed, does that mean that is NOT CONFIRMED? That would be quite a concern, because we have read a review by someone on CC who had been on the Koningsdam and who had the idea he and his wife have their pre-arranged cabins, but when they boarded, they were told they would be put into another cabin - and to their disappointment, the latter cabin had their views badly blocked by a huge life-boat!

It would not be good at all to spend thousands of $$$$ on a cruise in a varanda cabin agreed (with no blocked view) and to which thought you were assigned, and when you get on board they eventually put you in one which has its view blocked. Imagine 14 days with the main objective of viewing the Norwegian fjords and you end up in a cabin where you could not even enjoy the fully the beautiful sceneries you cruise past. That would have defeated the main objective of our cruise.

Is HAL notorious for switching cabins which have been agreed by customers before they book?

It doesn't sound like you have a Guarantee booking. It sounds like you purchased a assigned cabin.

I bolded this sentence only because IMO Agents are told to tell the public "they don't oversell a ship".. But I've seen otherwise right on these boards.. Occasionally they tried to entice people to rebook on another sailing when a particular cruise was over-sold..

If you believe everything you've been told by an Agent, I have a great bridge for sale..;p

Actually sometimes they do. Many times I have read about generous offers to entice people to change to a different cruise because they are oversold.

I have too!

I bolded this sentence only because IMO Agents are told to tell the public "they don't oversell a ship".. But I've seen otherwise right on these boards.. Occasionally they tried to entice people to rebook on another sailing when a particular cruise was over-sold..

If you believe everything you've been told by an Agent, I have a great bridge for sale..;p

I have too!

I haven't used a travel agent in years and never will again. I'm my own TA.;)

You can tell your TA now that you do NOT want a "free" upgrade, you want to keep your room.

You may still be offered an "upsell", that is different than a free uggrade.

With an upsell, you would be given the chance to take it or just ignore it.

... we already have an email from our TA for our booking which INCLUDED the cabin number we have agreed on.
That means you do not have a "guarantee" cabin, which is the subject of this thread. In a guarantee booking you simply choose a cabin level and agree to accept any cabin assigned at that level or higher.
Occasionally someone who has chosen a specific cabin will be given a free upgrade, but it's pretty rare. When done, the new cabin is generally much better than the one that was chosen.

Imagine ... you end up in a cabin where you could not even enjoy the fully the beautiful sceneries you cruise past.
I strongly suggest when cruising fjords that you go someplace where you can see the views on both sides of the ship, not just what is on your side.

We are currently booked for a "guarantee" inside on the Maasdam. Ironically, it is a "N" category. Per the deck plans, there is only two of those (unless someone knows differently) and, quite frankly, we will be happy with either one of those. Anything will be an upgrade :cool: We are only in our stateroom to sleep. As long as we can do that, we will be happy.

• 4 weeks later...

Another (related) question about my pending guarantee. I booked a SC guarantee so I know I'm getting a Neptune suite (PS sold out long ago). Question: when I check online there's only 5 NS left for my sailing. Does that mean I'm getting one of those, or has mine (and other guarantees) already been assigned and these are what's left? I noticed that only the SA show as available with SB & SC showing guarantee.

There is no way for you to determine how many SB and SCs are available, so we can't answer your question. But the SA info has narrowed to what is available, unless someone cancels.

Assume you mean for your Konningsdam sailing...