Appetizer ?

lkjcruiser75

If none of the appetizers appeal to me for dinner is it possible to order the cheese plate that is listed on the dessert menu or even one of the chilled soups offered the previous night? Or is this frowned upon? Or should I just skip the app if nothing interests me and wait until the main course?

Please don't bash- I'm asking because I don't know if it is acceptable and don't want to do the wrong thing.

Things from the previous nights are not in the line up. But you can ask for the cheese plate as an appetizer.

On occasion I've ordered oddly--One cruise I got two entrees, just asked the waiter to bring one out as my appetizer. Another time I got 5 appetizers, no entree. Informed the waiter he could bring them out in any order. A third time I ordered the cold watermelon soup. For dessert (same night) I ordered several more. He brought them out in a tall glass as he knew we enjoyed the Agua Frescas in port.

I usually stick to the script but on occasion I go a little rogue. The wait staff is always very accommodating, just ask them for what you want and if it's possible they'll get it. If not, they'll just let you know they can't. Just remember, they have a new group every week or every few days on some occasions so whatever you're asking for, they've heard it before.

I've asked for Mac and cheese when it wasn't on the menu before and they made it happen. He told me it wasn't on the menu that night but he would check. I told him not to bother because it wasn't a big deal. A little while later, here he comes with some Mac and cheese!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If there is a pasta dish as an entree, you can ask for an appetizer portion. (Usually it cones out the same serving in a smaller dish...). If there are more appetizers than we can handle, we order one as dessert. We did that for spring rolls one night. Another night it was the cold fruit soup. EM

It is just like a restaurant on land except you don't get charged for your choices(most of the time).

You can order what you wish but it should be on the menu. IF it was on the menu the previous day it doesn't mean they still have it in the kitchen or can make it specially for you that night.

If none of the appetizers appeal to me for dinner is it possible to order the cheese plate that is listed on the dessert menu or even one of the chilled soups offered the previous night? Or is this frowned upon? Or should I just skip the app if nothing interests me and wait until the main course?

Please don't bash- I'm asking because I don't know if it is acceptable and don't want to do the wrong thing.

After the first evening we ask if we can have a cheese plate waiting for us, so we can enjoy it with our wine . Works well for us, we've never had a problem with doing it that way. Most times we have a small group of people so we have 2 cheese plates.:D

Thank you all so much- and I didn't even think about what might or might not be on the kid's menu.

I love when I or someone else asks a question and we get real helpful answers and not hateful, smarty pants answers ;)

I'll definitely stick with what is on the same nights menu, because I know how hard the wait team works and I don't want to be THAT cruiser :eek::eek::eek:

Thanks again!

If I am not happy with the appetizers I've done as others have said and got the pasta dish as an app, I've also ordered other things of that same type as well as trying multiple different things from the menu at once. When we travel like this we tend to try out new things we wouldn't in a normal restaurant. If you see something on the menu you want to try as an app just ask for it.

I got the wrong dessert menu one night....it had bitter and blanc on it. I was super excited, thought 'yay...I've read so much about this...I know what I want'. I knew it wouldn't be an option tho...but played it up anyway. Everyone at my table was thinking I was crazy when I was joking with the waitress...until I showed them my menu. The waitress took my menu back and gave me the right one! Sad day! Couldn't even get it if I tried begging!! Haha